when to service yr camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

klein

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
hi i want to know how we can take care of our camera, can u guys give me some advice??

for my flim slr right when should i service it? like how many shots after i have taken should i have it serviced?

thirdly for DSLR, what are the most common things that will fail?

how long can the dslr lcd screen last?

My SLR, i don't service unless there's something wrong with it.

The DSLR, most likely failure is obsolescence. Second most likely i think is shutter failure, but have not heard of any yet. Somewhere around half a million cycles, probably in the region of 10 years under heavy use (say 50,000 per year?)

The screen actually not that impt. You don't shoot through it. A few dead pixels is just irritating, unless the whole thing goes. Erm, no, i have no idea now long the LCD is rated to last.

Film cameras usually do not need regular servicing, So the rule "if it ain't broken don't fix" rule should apply. New pro-level camera shutters are usually rated/tested to 150,000 times, that is like 4166 rolls of 36exp. A technical told me that normal shutters are usually rated/tested 20,000 times or 555 rolls of 36exp. I have not read anywhere photogs complaining of the above marketing hype. Of course, these are AVERAGE figures, some lemons may still be found years down the road.

However, keeping you camera stuff in dryboxes should be the norm since humidity here is a constant encouragement for fungus.

Next, if you plan to travel to seriously cold places, "winterization" is recommended. ie. replacement of "grease", a kind of lighter lubrication so the mechanicals do not jam up in extreme cold.

Caspere said:
Next, if you plan to travel to seriously cold places, "winterization" is recommended. ie. replacement of "grease", a kind of lighter lubrication so the mechanicals do not jam up in extreme cold.

Haven't heard about this one. Who does it, or how to do it?

I had mine done at the pro shop at Salt Lake City just before the Winter Olympics at their recommendation. They called it "winterization." It was also during this period I placed those tube foaming they use for insulation of air-conditioning pipes to cover my tripod legs so my hands or skin don't get "stuck" to my manfrotto when it ices over.

They also serviced my cameras again before I went out to the deserts in the Canyonlands in southen Utah/Arizona. Don't know what they call it this time, but they "greased" the mechanicals too, probably with a "heavier" fluid?? (like cars??) It was also here the desert sand ATE my 28-105mm USM gears (ie. the zooming becomes gritty due to the sand).

I have yet to ask the Canon tech if they actually do it here. Maybe the next clubsnapper can ask for us?? Or any other tech shops will do it??

Status
Not open for further replies.