When to go for external flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

htthach

Feb 26, 2006
dover
hi guys
i just do shooting for nearly 2 months. wanna ask you guys at which stage you decide to go for external flash?
coz i intend to get one but not sure if it is still too early to get? :lovegrin:

Borrow one to try out first :)

SB600 good! good! for nikon lah :) nikon good good!

haa haa....

loan a flash from my fren cos going to cover a indoor event. might need it.

First off, ask yourself.

"Are you gonna be using the flash quite a bit? Do you need higher guide numbers that an external flash provides? And do you need to direct the flash off another surface instead of shooting directly at the objective?"

If you answer yes, then you should be looking at one pretty soon.

If your photo still turn out to your satisfaction, then get the flash later; until you know that the external flash is going to produce some effect that your build-in flash cannot achieve and its something you really want in your photo.

The flash on the camera does not have the power to cover long distance. Also if you try shooting your on board flash while shooting with 300mm your flash will be block by your lens.

In fact the flash is needed for most conditions other than in concert halls or when taking night sceneries and fireworks. During other times it'll be needed for fill flash, even under bright sunlight.

smtan24 said:
The flash on the camera does not have the power to cover long distance. Also if you try shooting your on board flash while shooting with 300mm your flash will be block by your lens.

a 200mm lens with hood will already cast a shadow with the on-board flash on some cams. doesn't pop-up high enough.

well, dig up this old thread.
- since after i bought my sigma 17-70, my build in flash already cause a circle shadow at the bottom of the image (at wide angle or tele with close distance, although i already remove the hood). But i did try to live with it.
- I also see that the flash when taking close shot (1 to 3 meters) are very harsh and bright, i did adjust the EV to -2, still cannot. Still try to live with it.
- Today i try using a small mirror and put in front of the build in flash to bounce it on the ceiling, the result lighting is much nicer than direct flash but the shots are under.

is there a way to solve those problems or i must get an external flash ? :dunno:

is there any tutorial or sth that i can read on about external flash ? (like what are the things that it provide, what are the differences btw models, what are those technical terms ...) I did a search for flash in clubsnap but turn out all b&s item :dunno:

htthach said:
hi guys
i just do shooting for nearly 2 months. wanna ask you guys at which stage you decide to go for external flash?
coz i intend to get one but not sure if it is still too early to get? :lovegrin:

when the next IT or car show .. or any show with lots of babes ..
then is the time

htthach said:
- Today i try using a small mirror and put in front of the build in flash to bounce it on the ceiling, the result lighting is much nicer than direct flash but the shots are under.

is there a way to solve those problems or i must get an external flash ? :dunno:

TTL should have helped ensure proper flash metering and exposure. It could be that that flash was firing at full power and still not enough.

mpenza said:
TTL should have helped ensure proper flash metering and exposure. It could be that that flash was firing at full power and still not enough.

Also need to check what F-stop and speed is using .. :)

I got mine when I had to take a wedding.

Not that it cannot do without one but it does help substantially.

IE, when you need it. Believe me, you will need it (sooner than you would have thought).

Buy 1st cause you don't know when you will need it. If not, borrow when you need it.

htthach said:
hi guys

when you have use a long zoom lens like 70-200 VR or use len hook.

htthach said:
hi guys

Anytime if you think you need to, or to give extra light to certain portion/area of the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.