When should we reduce the shutter speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

choking

I have a question. When taking night scenery, I know i can use a triport and set the shutter speed to slower(maybe 1 sec). But when taking photos of people with night scenery, should i also set the shutter speed to slower? Because i scare the people move a bit while i took the photo and cause the photo to be abit blur.

Originally posted by choking
I have a question. When taking night scenery, I know i can use a triport and set the shutter speed to slower(maybe 1 sec). But when taking photos of people with night scenery, should i also set the shutter speed to slower? Because i scare the people move a bit while i took the photo and cause the photo to be abit blur.

For taking outdoor night shots of ppl, I suggest u use flash to avoid the movement issue. With flash on, you can use a faster shutter speed.

Originally posted by Blitz

For taking outdoor night shots of ppl, I suggest u use flash to avoid the movement issue. With flash on, you can use a faster shutter speed.

wrong and right!

first the right part,
if u use flash, u can use a faster shutter speed of cos.

then the wrong part,
say if u got a bunch of friends standing with their backs to a nice night scenery and u want to capture ur friends and the scenery.
use of flash with a high shutter speed, u will risk not capturing the night scene behind but ur friends properly exposed.
use of flash with a LOW shutter speed (also known as slow sync), u will risk movement from ur friends and a nice night scene behind.... best u can do is to instruct ur friends not to move after the flash and choosing a sensible shutter speed like faster than 5-10 secs

Originally posted by mervlam

wrong and right!

first the right part,

then the wrong part,
say if u got a bunch of friends standing with their backs to a nice night scenery and u want to capture ur friends and the scenery.
use of flash with a high shutter speed, u will risk not capturing the night scene behind but ur friends properly exposed.
use of flash with a LOW shutter speed (also known as slow sync), u will risk movement from ur friends and a nice night scene behind.... best u can do is to instruct ur friends not to move after the flash and choosing a sensible shutter speed like faster than 5-10 secs

Cool, learnt something new.

haha, ask him to smile for 5 seconds :bsmilie:

Originally posted by revenant

Cool, learnt something new.

haha, ask him to smile for 5 seconds :bsmilie:

no need.... he just need to be there to block the lights coming from the night scene behind..... if that guy leaves, u can see a ghost image of him... cos the light from background falls on his image on the film or CCD....

Hmm thx for the advice, Hope that my friends can be a good model. Maybe 1 sec will be good enough. Usually friend taking photos will not agree to stand there not movng for 5-10 sec.

hmm... thought slow syns in most camera works like this
:dunno:

if u use a slow sync mode(if ur camera has one), the shutter will open (eg, for 2 sec) first for the background and the flash will only fire jus before the shutter close, to expose the foreground...

hmm...i guess it works this way cos most ppl will usually pose till the flash fires...i guess why this mode works this way

:)

Originally posted by ralphii82sg
hmm... thought slow syns in most camera works like this

if u use a slow sync mode(if ur camera has one), the shutter will open (eg, for 2 sec) first for the background and the flash will only fire jus before the shutter close, to expose the foreground...

hmm...i guess it works this way cos most ppl will usually pose till the flash fires...i guess why this mode works this way

:)

ralphii, what you are describing is called rear-curtain sync, or 2nd-curtain sync, or rear sync; which means the flash fires just when the 2nd curtain of the shutter is about to close.

You are right that rear-curtain sync is usually done with slow sync, however, slow sync do not necessary be rear-curtain applied. I do not know about digicam, but for most SLR cameras, slow sync comes with front-curtain sync and the rear-sync function needs to be switched on (only certain SLR cameras have this function) if you want the flash to fire just before the shutter closes.

As what you say, I use rear-sync when taking photos of people with slow sync as people will move 'immediately' (either by looking at each other or start talking to each other) once the flash goes off, no matter how much you emphasize to them not to move for 5 secs after the flash fires off!

:p

wrong and right!

first the right part,

then the wrong part,

If he wants to capture the scenary, then Slow Sync flash function will be useful. However this requires to open the shutter for sometime as well.

So ultimately, tied the subjects up so they dun move :D

That's what I'm worried about and why I nebber use Slow Sync flash.

Cos after the flash, the shutter still remains open which the subjects will not know. Like what Bean has said, they tend to move after the flash has fired :)

So again, tied the subjects up! heh heh j/k :D

Originally posted by Bean

ralphii, what you are describing is called rear-curtain sync, or 2nd-curtain sync, or rear sync; which means the flash fires just when the 2nd curtain of the shutter is about to close.

You are right that rear-curtain sync is usually done with slow sync, however, slow sync do not necessary be rear-curtain applied. I do not know about digicam, but for most SLR cameras, slow sync comes with front-curtain sync and the rear-sync function needs to be switched on (only certain SLR cameras have this function) if you want the flash to fire just before the shutter closes.

As what you say, I use rear-sync when taking photos of people with slow sync as people will move 'immediately' (either by looking at each other or start talking to each other) once the flash goes off, no matter how much you emphasize to them not to move for 5 secs after the flash fires off!

:p

wrong and right!

first the right part,

then the wrong part,

but most of the time , when we go out to "play" , we don't bring a tripod along .....
a slow shutter is not really possible.

does slow sync flash with a normal fast shutter speed(auto) really help alot? (let's say i juz wanna capture my frens clearly.....heck about the scenary)

Originally posted by superhero

but most of the time , when we go out to "play" , we don't bring a tripod along .....
a slow shutter is not really possible.

does slow sync flash with a normal fast shutter speed(auto) really help alot? (let's say i juz wanna capture my frens clearly.....heck about the scenary)

If that's what you want, just fire the flash at the fastest shutter speed loh. I usually lock my EOS33 at the x-sync for this purpose.

Regards,
Juay Kwang

Originally posted by tanjk

If that's what you want, just fire the flash at the fastest shutter speed loh. I usually lock my EOS33 at the x-sync for this purpose.

Regards,
Juay Kwang

but sometimes , the flash isn't strong enough.....:cry:

either everyone is underexposed or the guys standing at the sides are...;p

Originally posted by superhero

but sometimes , the flash isn't strong enough.....:cry:

either everyone is underexposed or the guys standing at the sides are...;p

the built-in flash??

Status
Not open for further replies.