When Should I Use Av / Tv??

Status
Not open for further replies.

yutaka806

Apr 18, 2007
Singapore
Hi all,

Could someone explain to me when to use aperture priority (Av) and when to use shutter priority (Tv)?? Im abit confused here... Juz bought a canon EOS 400D and is learning. Hope someone out there can briefly explain to me about my question.

Thank You All.

Regards.:D

When you feel like it....

seriously, you choose the Aperture priority when you want to control the aperture to your fixed value and you choose the Shutter priority when you want to control the shutter speed to your fixed value.

For example, I choose A mode (Av for Canon) most of the time as I prefer shooting at f4.

But if I need a long time exposure shot or a very short exposure time, then I'll choose my own value using the S mode (Tv for Canon).

If you are confused, this is what I normally do.

Most of the time, I use the Av mode so that I have greater control over the depth of view. However, when I face with the following situations, I will switch to Tv mode:

1) When there is risk of handshakes, I want to keep the shutter speed at the slowest shutter speed that will prevent hand shake.
2) When I need high speed action to freeze motion, example during basketball matches.
3) When I want a slow shutter speed to emphasize motion, eg taking a picture of a waterfall.

Mostly, you should choose the modes to your convenience.

Hi guys,

Really appreciate the explaination. Will take the points in mind. I now got a brief idea liaoz.. Last of all, happy shootin everyone!!

Cheers!! ;)

1) When there is risk of handshakes, I want to keep the shutter speed at the slowest shutter speed that will prevent hand shake.

Erm....shouldn't it be fastest shutter speed to prevent hand shake???

Erm....shouldn't it be fastest shutter speed to prevent hand shake???

he means at the lowest shutter that u will not see hand shake.

so the photo will not be too dark also.

Status
Not open for further replies.