When should i get a Nikon D80.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havoc

May 16, 2008
Singapore
Planing to get my first DSLR. Reading newbie thread for about a week now, Should i get a nikon D80 as my first DSLR or should i look for other brand before deciding it ? my budget is $1.5k. I want to get the body + the kit . I think i will be a dry cabinet too, how much one of it cost?
The D80 is around 1.4k with the Len kit right ( correct me if i am wrong ), so should i only get the body and get other types of lens or just stick with the len kit that come with the D80?

Picture i like to shoot : hmm, Portrait, *Moving object* ( eg. people dancing ), Landscape, maybe some close-up shots.
So will the D80 good for a beginner like me ? Eh do nikon D60 have that motor thingy inside it ?
Will ask more question -____-

30L Dry cabi is $100 :D

i love my D80. i think you can stick to the kit lens first till u got more money and buy new lenses. the kit lens is very multi purpouse
if you tried the D80 and like it than go for it :D if u liek the weight and stuff :D i love the weight and size so i got it haha

hmm... i think for a beginner, the kit lens will serve you just fine :) (for the time being)

and to yr question of whether 'its good for a beginner', hell, even a D3 is 'good for a beginner'! :bsmilie: It depends on how much time yr willing to dedicate to learn how to use it

Ok! honestly! the D80 should be fine for a beginner if you read the manual thoroughly! must read!:bigeyes:

Eh do nikon D60 have that motor thingy inside it ?
you must be refering to the auto-focus drive. Yep, the D80 has that, so older lens can be used on it too.
Like the 50mm f/1.8!
Sweet lens that won't work on bodies like the D40 or the D60:dunno:

hope this helps ya =)

Planing to get my first DSLR. Reading newbie thread for about a week now, Should i get a nikon D80 as my first DSLR or should i look for other brand before deciding it ? my budget is $1.5k. I want to get the body + the kit . I think i will be a dry cabinet too, how much one of it cost?
The D80 is around 1.4k with the Len kit right ( correct me if i am wrong ), so should i only get the body and get other types of lens or just stick with the len kit that come with the D80?

Picture i like to shoot : hmm, Portrait, *Moving object* ( eg. people dancing ), Landscape, maybe some close-up shots.
So will the D80 good for a beginner like me ? Eh do nikon D60 have that motor thingy inside it ?
Will ask more question -____-

Nikon is on sale now if I'm not wrong.

Hi, I think D80 is good for starter. You can get the Nikon D80 Digital Field Guide by David D. Busch...from book shop...I found mine in Boarders.... quite useful for me. shown me all the function in detail....My advice, dont read the manual which come with it. Get this book better.

Good choice.

Pictures are great out of any camera, but the D80 might give you abit more room to grow with your hobby and needs compared to D40/60.

Ryan

hmm... i think for a beginner, the kit lens will serve you just fine :) (for the time being)

and to yr question of whether 'its good for a beginner', hell, even a D3 is 'good for a beginner'! :bsmilie: It depends on how much time yr willing to dedicate to learn how to use it

Ok! honestly! the D80 should be fine for a beginner if you read the manual thoroughly! must read!:bigeyes:

you must be refering to the auto-focus drive. Yep, the D80 has that, so older lens can be used on it too.
Like the 50mm f/1.8!

hope this helps ya =)

The 50mm f/1.8 WILL work on the D40/60. It just won't autofocus. You can still do manual focusing, and it will still meter with either body.

hi welcome to cs , i think it better for u to go down to shop and try afew other brand like sony , canon , pentax , nikon etc see which body fit u most , btw nikon D80 kit is a good start and can last u a long long time as for dry cabi 30L model is ard $99 - $105 range .

There's too many people who keep saying D40/D60 won't work with non AF-S lenses. As though without autofocus, they can't take photos. Either that or they're severely misinformed.
I notice MANY MANY newbies asking about this notable missing feature of the D40/D60. Getting tired of answering this question.

The 50mm f/1.8 WILL work on the D40/60. It just won't autofocus. You can still do manual focusing, and it will still meter with either body.

Though i'm a D80 user, i suggest you give other brands a chance before you make your final decision. Try out different models and brands. Who knows, you might fall in love with another camera. :)

How about a used D200?? I think u can consider dat..

My budget is reduced due to my Dad. Bye Bye D80!!!

So now maybe D60 or other cheaper models will be in my budget of 1K+ include the Dry cabinet
Arghh, really disappointed but i do like a light weight DSLR like "D60". so what do u guys think?

Asking one more question, "i will bring my camera with me everyday to school so i can take picture at break-time" so i may need a bigger bag any recommend on bags?

Thing i put in bag: Sketch Book ( around 40 A4 paper )
A4 size folder ( put other drawing )
Small note book
Pencil box + Can of H/b/2b/3b/4b..etc pencil
Camera

So what kind of bag you recommend? or recommend me to just leave my DSLR at home and use it on sat and sunday.

Like the 50mm f/1.8!

hope this helps ya =)

I think it will work, just need to manual focus that's all :bsmilie:

My budget is reduced due to my Dad. Bye Bye D80!!!

So now maybe D60 or other cheaper models will be in my budget of 1K+ include the Dry cabinet
Arghh, really disappointed but i do like a light weight DSLR like "D60". so what do u guys think?

Asking one more question, "i will bring my camera with me everyday to school so i can take picture at break-time" so i may need a bigger bag any recommend on bags?

Thing i put in bag: Sketch Book ( around 40 A4 paper )
A4 size folder ( put other drawing )
Small note book
Pencil box + Can of H/b/2b/3b/4b..etc pencil
Camera

So what kind of bag you recommend? or recommend me to just leave my DSLR at home and use it on sat and sunday.

Eh.... even though u may be getting a D60 but it's still a DSLR so it's still quite big and bulky compared to compacts...
My advice:
School time means study, so just concentrate on ur studies. play wif ur 'toy' only during ur free time... :)

I think it will work, just need to manual focus that's all :bsmilie:
Which can actually be really fun. Afterall, there are two types of shots: The one where you need to capture that moment, and the one where you experiment for fun! For the former there are plenty of AF-S and AF-I lenses out there that work perfectly; for the latter...well...go nuts! :) I have a D60 and I love it to bits.

I read somewhere that somebody said: "Manual focus is good for the soul".
I couldn't agree more! :)

Agree!! :)
I still manual focus my 50mm f1.8 a lot of the time, even though the AF works fine on my D80 ;)
Not sure why. The AF is very fast on the D80!
hehehehe

My 1st DSLR is a D80...and still loving it ..
Initial was a kit lens..then i got hold of my very own 18-200mm.

Me a slow learner (struggling to learn new techniques) and still trying to kick some bad habits...,well, i enjoy every moment in photography..

i failed art in sec 2, but now can appreciate photography, and the best in photography......
the photography hoidays/outings and new friends we made along the way...:lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.