when shld we switch off our camera when we go out photoshoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Yeo

Feb 27, 2004
Sengkang
www.boo.sg
when i take my camera out to photoshoot shld i just leave it on as i walk around as i find that if i "on" and "off" often, it may spoil the switch?

of if i leave it "on" during the whole photoshoot trip, it may spoil the camera as it is "on" permanently during the period? (overheat the electronics? spoil the VR mechanism?)

dunno if i shld just leave it "on" or switch "on" only when I want to take a pic (but that means i "on" and "off" often! thus running the risk of switch wear-and-tear?) :embrass:

It's a valid concern. My old Nikon Coolpix 990 on-off switch got spoilt from constant use. Fortunately it happened just within the one year warranty period, so it was replaced FOC.

Nowadays most cameras have power-saving "sleep" modes so I just leave them on all the time (even when storing in the dry box). To switch on, just half-press the shutter.

For digital compact cameras, yes. For SLR/DSLR, not likely, given the fact that the battery simply last longer in most cases than compact/prosumers.

Paul_Yeo said:
when i take my camera out to photoshoot shld i just leave it on as i walk around as i find that if i "on" and "off" often, it may spoil the switch?

of if i leave it "on" during the whole photoshoot trip, it may spoil the camera as it is "on" permanently during the period? (overheat the electronics? spoil the VR mechanism?)

dunno if i shld just leave it "on" or switch "on" only when I want to take a pic (but that means i "on" and "off" often! thus running the risk of switch wear-and-tear?) :embrass:

I always switch off my camera. It does not matter when I am now using my DSLR or when I was still with my SLRs. It is not so much to safe batteries. But accidental triggering when it is in my soft camera bag or when I am handling as I take it out. I use to end up firing stray shots especially back then...a stray shot would mean money wasted. Also with my soft walkaround bag especially(I hate using those typical "boxy-hey-look-at-me,-I-am-a-photographer- bag") because the shutter button at times gets pressed by my elbow or whatever that is small enough to press the sutter would mean the lens will try to focus around since the cap prevent it from doing so and thus I could hear it whining away in the bag (those older lens are more noisier then the more modern ones now like the AFS or later D & Gs) That too is wasting batteries. Also, once I stop shooting and store the camera at my office or home, it is always switched off.

The only time I never switch off is when the camera is out of the bag as I roam around shooting. So long as I am shooting a location, the camera stays on but once I am done and heading home.. certain not to shoot anything, I switch it off. Have never encountered a spoilt switch all my life with my camera so I have no inclination to believe how often it does spoilt really. I am sure it can happen but I doubt it happens that regularily to worry me. Air planes crash ever so often..does not mean I should give up flying. That's my take anyway.

Oh yes...with my old P&S camera like my S70 or 990, always switch it off as it drains alot faster when it is in the "on" mode.

so even if u do street photography, u walk around with power "on"? or only "on" when u need it?

during events i on whole time... street shooting ah... on and off lor... depends... :cool:

For Nikon's DSLR, some pro photogs (cant remember if its Thom Hogan or who) once said something abt the camera actually consumes more power if u constantly ON and OFF the camera, compared to letting it go to standby..

Since the standby mode uses as much power as the OFF mode, it shldnt make a diff.

(Then again, u cant really turn off a Nikon DSLR, even at OFF..the LCD is still ON..lol unless u remove the battery)

For me...I dont off my camera unless its in my bag or in dry cabby.

lol!
Then again, u cant really turn off a Nikon DSLR, even at OFF..the LCD is still ON..lol unless u remove the battery
so true! :) i leave mine on all the time on shoots... but during storage or going places... i turn it off. when its in my hands, it's always on.

mine always on...D70 battery last U the whole mth on standby mode...not dat i have tried it, but accidentaly forgot to switch it OFF...AHAHAHHA

Ok. so much for the battery.

any side effect if i leave it "on" while carrying it?

i am thinking aloud: wondering if leaving it "on" while I move around for street photography, will the camera electronic mechanism spoil faster comparing to carrying a camera in "off" mode while moving?

(pardon me if i sounded silly ... )

I always switch off my Contax T3 when it is not in use. Coz on a T3, the lens barrel will come out and seems weak and when knock onto something, it might just be out of alightment!!!
On a Leica M6, I always leave my camera on as it is only the lightmeter that is on. So it is always on 'stand-by' mode!

This is an interesting topic ... it has never come to my mind about this .... my shooting habit - my trigger fingers are always go auto turning off the camera after each photo taken and when the next photo opportunity comes along ... I turn it on again.

maybe I should learn to keep it on to reduce usage of the on off switch.

:)

I never switch off my cameras when shooting. This way it's always ready for action (tho Nikon cameras startup near instantly). Battery drain is insignificant. And no, it will not spoil the electronics, the VR, etc. Don't believe someone who tries to tell you otherwise, he's just spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt).

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
I never switch off my cameras when shooting. This way it's always ready for action (tho Nikon cameras startup near instantly). Battery drain is insignificant. And no, it will not spoil the electronics, the VR, etc. Don't believe someone who tries to tell you otherwise, he's just spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt).

Regards
CK

I have to agree wif you! I only switch off my T3 coz I afraid things might knock onto it coz the lens barrel seems so fragile!!! :sweat:

StreetShooter said:
It's a valid concern. My old Nikon Coolpix 990 on-off switch got spoilt from constant use. Fortunately it happened just within the one year warranty period, so it was replaced FOC.

Nowadays most cameras have power-saving "sleep" modes so I just leave them on all the time (even when storing in the dry box). To switch on, just half-press the shutter.

actually, you should remove the batteries from your camera when you store them for some period of time. that's because the electronics will still try to draw some small current from your batteries, and this is one of the main reasons for battery leakage.

just some advice. ;)

as for shooting, my camera is always on all the time till i finish my shoot.

actually i dun tink it actually matters....

happy turn off....not happy turn off lo.... but consider the startup time....u may juz miss a great shot....

cheers....

Status
Not open for further replies.