When Newbies Ask For Help in NEWBIES CORNER ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 2 group of people here.

1) people who post thread to ask cos they lazy to search forum

2) people who still stubbornly ask despite after we post thread for them to read.
A good example will be http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/1060715-can-any-one-gove-me-brief-explanation-dslr-excells-over-normal-camera-5.html

I think most of us humilate the 2nd group of people.

I understand where you are coming from on the 2nd group .A real face palm

However there are senior members who humiliate a New Member who had only just posted his first thread to ask a question .
Seriously I remembered when I first joined CS , there are so many sub-forum and buttons and such , its really overwhelming, give the 1 count warrior a break ....

Haha, system spoonfeed, at least we dont have to spoon feed them. as some bros says here, laziness is a 2nd nature to some people.

I see it possible to do that since in our BnS section, we are led to a page of terms and conditions.

But seriously, if such a system exist and there are still newbies who do that cos lazy to open to read, we can take out our clubs and humtump them jialut jialut.. :angry:

OH! i get what you mean now. thanks for the explanation.

but it's still spoon-feeding right? i think a better way would be to, before they start a new thread would be to direct them to steps on searching within the forum. rather than giving them the answers straight out. if not, even after the 100 post count expires, they'll still ask instead of look for themselves.

That's the time where we have to be gracious..

Seriously, you cant really blame those senior members. they probably got so pissed by the 2nd group of newbies which I mentioned earlier. The impact caused by such newbies is cumulative. Without these senior members, CS wont be today as well.

Of cos, there are some people who try to use that to humliate honest minded members cos they got screwed by bosses at work.

I understand where you are coming from on the 2nd group .A real face palm

However there are senior members who humiliate a New Member who had only just posted his first thread to ask a question .
Seriously I remembered when I first joined CS , there are so many sub-forum and buttons and such , its really overwhelming, give the 1 count warrior a break ....

ICPIXELS said:
That's the time where we have to be gracious..

Seriously, you cant really blame those senior members. they probably got so pissed by the 2nd group of newbies which I mentioned earlier. The impact caused by such newbies is cumulative. Without these senior members, CS wont be today as well.

Of cos, there are some people who try to use that to humliate honest minded members cos they got screwed by bosses at work.

Regarding that. I remember a member saying that I got screwed at work so I come in to screw newbies. Honestly I feel that it takes 2 hands to clap to start a war of words

kei1309 said:
Regarding that. I remember a member saying that I got screwed at work so I come in to screw newbies. Honestly I feel that it takes 2 hands to clap to start a war of words

OpoQQ.jpg

I dont think the first post in this thread even mentioned 'being nice' to newbies .... Help or just 'Dont Reply'

As in any breeding project, there will be a bell curve from the median with a whole range of learning rates and attitudes at both ends of the curve

AND (ha ha) Newbies Corner is just ONE of many subforums that populate CS .... they will eventually enter various parts of the forum proper hopefully more prepared and educated ...... and perhaps Darwin's Theory on Evolution will run its course then ..... outside Newbies Corner.

I'd like to think that CS is not a wild jungle where its survival of the fittest the moment a newbie is 'born'. Strong or weak, lazy or self-driven allow them an opportunity to grow ...... first.

How long they survive or stay on in the forum is another matter

Last edited:
I think that's the heart of the whole discussion - do we keep silent, or do we try to poke them in a more "learn to fish" direction.

Either way..but w/o the use of harsh words. ;)

As a newbie myself, I sometimes can't stand those who ask questions blindly too. But for me, I would be able to accept ppl telling me where to find the answer but by using harsh words, ppl gets offended easily and I don't think this is what the forum spirits shd be. :)

Hence, I'm very supportive of what ed is suggesting. Like it, reply, don't like it, just give it a pass and all will be fine. :)

Just my thoughts. :)

kei1309 said:
wrong usage. you need to spend more time at 9gag

Correct Mah. I was referring to the member who screwed newbies cuz the boss screwed him at work

5 pages of civil discussion on a 'hot' topic in Kopitiam is ..... ha ha..... impressive

ok moving this thread over to Newbies Corner in 2 hours ... say your peace before the thread is closed

Thanks for the feedback on both sides regarding this matter, its truly appreciated :)

Last edited:
A welcoming, helpful and tolerant attitude should apply to everyone (seniors and newbies alike) and the whole of CS, not just Newbies Corner.
Give everyone the benefit of the doubt, everyone asks stupid questions at some time or other.
If you feel that you are wasting your time in helping a lazy/stupid/undeserving newbie, just walk away and let someone else do it.
Everyone was a newbie once.
Scolding and insults only breed resentment.
Help to make this community a better place by good example.

Lastly, shoot, share, critique and discuss more good photos in the CS forums!

:)

ed9119 said:
5 pages of civil discussion on a 'hot' topic in Kopitiam is ..... ha ha..... impressive

ok moving this thread over to Newbies Corner in 2 hours ... say your peace before the thread is closed

Thanks for the feedback on both sides regarding this matter, its truly appreciated :)

CS RAWKS!!!! Newbies please don't spoil it by flooding it with dumb questions and repeat posts. Pro please help the noobs who genuinely need help. Yay okay said my piece xD thanks mod for giving us this opportunity xD

Everyone should take this pledge of "i promise to behave if you promise to behave too"

Oh behave~ groovy baby yeah

Do Either of the following when inside the Newbies Corner sub-forum :

1. DO offer genuine help, directions, opinions and links OR

2 DON'T REPLY if you feel :

a. the newbie deserves getting flamed for asking simple questions
a. the question has been asked once too many times before
b. its a waste of your time
c. its spoonfeeding
d. the Newbie is lazy about searching and/or Googling
e. that advise or help that you render allows you to flame the newbie
f. its a facepalm question
g. its a great excuse to attack newbies when they ask basic questions and the answer is SO OBVIOUS (to you)

Newbies reading this.... we are hoping to keep this area for new comers in the hobby to learn and ask questions without fear of getting banged, flamed and humiliated.

Still, Clubsnap expects CS'ers to be well behaved and civil when dealing with fellow members of the community throughout all its forums

Of course if a newbie behaves like a total arsee through no provocation .... do report that post

This thread will sit in Kopitiam until tomorrow night when it will be made a Sticky in Newbies Corner

Hey guys .... ..... happy or not happy about this 'safe haven nursery' policy ....feel free to discuss

Yup..if you do not want to help , please move on to another thread . No need to be so harsh !
Cheers to ed for this sticky . There is still hop in CS

Everyone should take this pledge of "i promise to behave if you promise to behave too"

Yeah Me too....I promise... :hearts::lovegrin::lovegrin:

The Mods have spoken, so let's respect them.

If the Mods and Admin wants us to:
1. DO offer genuine help OR
2. DON'T REPLY

then they are already practically pointing us in a direction towards treating the newbies. If they don't mind "spoonfeeding" or spoiling the newbies, then lets respect them.

The forum needs new blood all the time so that Advertisers and Organisers have a steady flow of business, and hence provide for the running costs of the forum and forum activities.

If newbies(or even oldies) get turned off and stop coming into the forum, then the whole CS forum will suffer

I have been in the forum for quite some time now. Just last week, I was trying to search for wireless file transfer from DSLR to the PC.
The first time I got the results that I was looking for, but the second time i typed in the keyword just slightly differently and can't find the same thread anymore. Thus I had to try to remember the first keyword and try a couple of times before finding the same thread again.

Besides its really not difficult to:
1. DO offer genuine help OR
2. DON'T REPLY

Let's the Mods' decision

Yup. If the mod's decision is that CS should be a spoonfeed forum, and people should just be given fish and not taught how to fish, then that's the mod's decision. Not much we can do since it only results in infractions and suspensions for everyone except the newbies. :)

kei1309 said:

On my honor... I promise to behave myself. To do my duty to mods and to the forum; clubsnap. To help the newbies and to keep the forum laws :D

Last edited:
argh .. finally you get it Rashkae , respect the mods , respect your fellow members .
There is still hope..

I've always "gotten it". I just preferred to remind newbies of rules that they choose to ignore. But now it seems we should no longer do that.

Look in the mirror before you point fingers at others. If you have a personal vendetta against me that you need to directly attack me here, we can take it up separately instead of you trolling this thread like you do other newbie threads I reply in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.