When is the time to change the LCD?

josho

Nov 27, 2004
Jln Teck Whye
pboong.com
Im using the old Dell 24" Ultra sharp series and calibrated it using EyeOne Display2.

After calibrating it, I look elsewhere and back to monitor, it seem quite greenish to me. It take a while for me to get use to it.

In the past, I can adjust my brightness to the spot where e device wanted me to. Right now, I had the brightness to the max, but it is not even near to the middle. (On i1 calibration program)

Is my LCD about time to change?
I have no idea tho, hence im seeking some advise here.

Might need to replace the LCD backlight bulb.

Alright, thanks Rashkae!

But will this cause a bit of green cast on the LCD as well?

It could, yup. But in general, you should re-calibrate your screen at least every 2-3 months.

did about 4month-6months once tho. =)

Will ask Dell about replacing of LCD backlight.

I set to default on my LCD and it appear white.
After calibrating again, it turn a bit greenish.

Now, I am confused.
Shouldn't it appear more warm instead? (I selected 6000K as my white point)

I set to default on my LCD and it appear white.
After calibrating again, it turn a bit greenish.

Now, I am confused.
Shouldn't it appear more warm instead? (I selected 6000K as my white point)

which monitor color mode did you calibrated in?

the preset color mode do not offer much color adjustment, the better way is in custom color mode. if you must have the preset color mode, read below:

you can change the default RGB value for these preset color modes. you might be able to turn up the brightness if some of the preset modes have low RGB value = low luminance.

Thanks Kurtlim.

I set to default to see if the monitor of mine is spoil or not. Which apparently, does change the color to white.
From there, I did the custom RGB value setting with eye one display 2. But, during the stage of adjusting the RGB value, it made my monitor look a bit greenish tho.

But, I am unable to adjust my brightness even more as it had reached 100 already.

Just wondering, is the monitor giving me problem, or my i1 Display 2 is. =(

Thanks Kurtlim.

I set to default to see if the monitor of mine is spoil or not. Which apparently, does change the color to white.
From there, I did the custom RGB value setting with eye one display 2. But, during the stage of adjusting the RGB value, it made my monitor look a bit greenish tho.

But, I am unable to adjust my brightness even more as it had reached 100 already.

Just wondering, is the monitor giving me problem, or my i1 Display 2 is. =(
Its your monitor bro. Read more about it here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_u2410.htm#calibration

Firstly, its a wide gamut monitor which makes calibration a little tricky.

Secondingly, the green colour cast is well documented all over the internet.

The only to way reduce the amount of green is to access the Innolux menu as show by kurtlim above or calibrate your monitor using the Standard Preset settings. Also, just fyi, with different contrast/brightness settings, can give you slightly different whites. I would suggest sticking with the default values.

So, nothing wrong with your i1Display 2.

My monitor is pretty old. Using 2408 series tho.

So in a way, the green cast is ok tho?

Calibrate the monitor using Standard Preset with auto RGB adjustment from the software?

this is my U2410 at standard and custom color mode during i1 display 2 calibration.

29nh3bd.jpg
5v9dmp.jpg

as you can see, although the color temp is ~6500K, both modes produce excessive green cast at default value.

you can leave the green alone and increase the Red and Blue value to make the RGB value close to the center point. but standard preset doesn't allow RGB adjustment and Custom mode already have red and blue at 100%. so you will have let i1 software to calibrate the display at graphic card's LUT level; and decrease the green in custom mode. from my experience, both never give the best result so I have to use the hidden factory menu to adjust the RGB value. also, i1 software is quite slow in response after RGB value changes and it doesn't report the calibrated result, which leave us to guess the calibration is a success.

due to I being kiasu, I use basICColor to calibrate and validate the result. I also use it to check the profile calibrated by i1 software. both are quite close so i1 isn't bad at all but basICColor give more user control. you may download it and use the fully functional demo for 14 days.

Last edited:
what do you mean by using hidden factory menu?

For my 2408, I managed to get everything to center. Which I guess that I'm ain't the only one having a bit green cast.
*Shrug* I went to purchase a 2311 LCD over the weekend.
(Now Im having dual monitor) =.=

BTW, how do you manage to increase the brightness since you are at the max on LCD adjustment?
I read on the calibration software that luminance of less then 5 is ok, and mine is just 1.