When is the right time for a camera purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylvesterrr

Jul 4, 2009
hello,

Im new to this, been reading and saving up quite a bit to get my first DSLR. However, I'll be enlisting soon, only 19yrs old.

Want to seek advice, do you think it is a sensible investment to get the camera now so that I can start picking up the skills read, or would I be so tired that I am unable to utilise the camera for the next 2 years?

Wondering how other people wld feel abt this; especially if people have been through the same phase. haha. Been contemplating quite a bit.

thanks.

If you really really want a camera during your NS time, I would suggest getting it only after all your vocation training is completed.

If you're a trainee, Sat sure sleep and then go out to play one. The Sun sleep again, relax, then book in liao. Weekend flies when you're in NS, always not enough time one.

You don't wanna get a DSLR now and then leave it in your dry box until you ORD right? :bsmilie:

When is the right time for a camera purchase? answer = when you starting to earn some $$$ lor. XD

can't bring camera to camp, so it'll be left at home about 98% of the time [including the weekend hours when you're at home/sleeping].
You might as well wait till your schedule is more relaxed (eg. if you get to stay-out everyday, or clearing leave/off), then invest in a DSLR.
By that time, probably prices would have fallen.

for me my first dslr I bought in May09 after white hairs starting to appear :bsmilie:

go join photography club in NS... maybe u get to use some nice and good camera

If there's little time to use it in the next 2 years, might as well wait. Technology is changing and in 2 years, new models will have come out.

I bought mine 2 months ago when I'm enlisting in 1 month + time. If you want it just get it!! :bsmilie:

Investment benefit .... NO. Sensible to buy your dSLR as a consolidation reward to your enlistment ...... well why not if you have no immediate need for that cash.

Once you have been posted to your permanent base after your basic training, you will have weekends to do your own work. Whether you will get too tired for photo shoots, maybe in the beginning but you will get use to it.

when is the right time to buy a camera? when you NEED one.

when is not the right time to buy a camera? when you just WANT to have one.

Use a Film SLR, thats what i did when i entered NS, film gear doesnt depreciate and kinda cheap for the quality you're getting from a few hundred dollars.

get it after NS... u wouldn't be using it most of the time so no point also. just my 2 cents :)

It depends on whether your PES A B OR C, is your PES C, go ahead and get one since you would have a great deal of free time after your bmt, and the right times when you have the $$$ of course:bsmilie:

I bought my DSLR after POP from tekong and pass out from my vocation course and trainings. that's when you'd done enough planning on what camera you really need and decide for yourself if you really have time to use it. Chill and think twice before you leap.

score Gold ($400) a few times for ure IPPT and you can soon affordable a entry level dslr, coupled with ure monthly allowance and some scrimping and savings:)

Lol, thanks everyone, for the answers.. young people like me.. haven't seen the world, have to seek advice from experienced people like you guys! I have a much clearer picture of how photography and NS clash now. :)

Thanks for the humorous answers too.. I had a good laugh.. interesting! :bsmilie:

I guess we all don't NEED a camera but photography is a hobby, a passion, a way of expressing yourself and indulging yourself!

Since you're 19. yes,it's a sensible investment to get camera now.

Hmm.. sometimes it really set me thinking why do ppl say invest in a camera? Does the value of ur equipment actually appreciate? As far as i know it onli depreciate, so why do ppl still call it an investment? hmmm... hopefully some one could enlighten me.

And to TS. I wud agree u to save more and wait till u are posted to ur unit. Den bring try to let ur boss ard u know that u actually do photography, and who knows they might ask u to be ur unit photographer? Den when they got annivesary, family day or what ever they u might get the chance to go ard shoot the whole day. Or better still some change of comand and u wun have to be in the marching contigent. Just my tots.

Hmm.. sometimes it really set me thinking why do ppl say invest in a camera? Does the value of ur equipment actually appreciate? As far as i know it onli depreciate, so why do ppl still call it an investment? hmmm... hopefully some one could enlighten me.

And to TS. I wud agree u to save more and wait till u are posted to ur unit. Den bring try to let ur boss ard u know that u actually do photography, and who knows they might ask u to be ur unit photographer? Den when they got annivesary, family day or what ever they u might get the chance to go ard shoot the whole day. Or better still some change of comand and u wun have to be in the marching contigent. Just my tots.

How I see is is that it depends on how you interprete the "returns".
Intangible returns like pleasure and enjoyment.

Monetary returns- when the shops raise prices after you bought your camera and you are able to sell it above your original price but below the shops prices. Not too common, but have happened. Another way to get "returns" is to shoot for a fee.

So its not really investments in the strictest sense of the word, but no need to be pedantic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.