When Hobby Becomes Ugly Part Of Work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newman

Mar 2, 2003
TBC
Suppose your boss wants you to take industrial photos for the company but that's not your job in the company. You may have to climb tall structures like cranes and you have to use your own DSLR with the expensive lenses. There is no payment for the assignments. Would you do it knowing the risks involved and even if your boss says the company will cover for any damage to the equipment?:dunno:

Newman said:
Suppose your boss wants you to take industrial photos for the company but that's not your job in the company. You may have to climb tall structures like cranes and you have to use your own DSLR with the expensive lenses. There is no payment for the assignments. Would you do it knowing the risks involved and even if your boss says the company will cover for any damage to the equipment?:dunno:

Hehe time to change and upgrade your equipment.:lovegrin:

No choice, he's yr boss. :sweat:

new food for thought, NEVER ever lead your boss to think you ever shoot for free, do not bring the camera to work, never discuss camera equipment with anymore, never let anyone in the office know your hobbies.

i kindaoff lose my job this way.

i have since regretted to bring or use any photography equipment that my colleagues or boss sees.

Belle&Sebastain said:
new food for thought, NEVER ever lead your boss to think you ever shoot for free, do not bring the camera to work, never discuss camera equipment with anymore, never let anyone in the office know your hobbies.

i have since regretted to bring or use any photography equipment that my colleagues or boss sees.

OMG. Thats really so sad to hear that you lose yr job that way. :bigeyes:

Newman said:

I wont, it would be unprofessional to do all these 'sai kang'.

I think you could politely decline ,by maybe citing examples of how you are not capable of the job? I dont think it is right for your boss to ask u to do all these miscellenous tasks that are not in your job scope.

But then again, it really depends on how good terms you are with your boss. :)

Newman said:

The damage to the equipment is secondary, what is important is the addition risks to your health that you may incur. Make sure if you are climbing cranes which is not normally covered in your job scope, you are protected by insurance or other claims.

Belle&Sebastain said:

yes....right. have to keep a very very low profile. unless someone happened to meet you over at a wedding assignment or event shoot-out. so far i don't talk about photography in my office....just to avoid 'red eye' people.:nono:

I tend to agree with Prismatic's POV.

What is more important is the risk to personal health.

I think it is a very undesirable attitude to say that if it is not within my "job scope", it is not my duty. I would go the further mile, and help my company in anyway I could. But if climbing a crane can endanger my health, then I would point out the problem to my boss.

Years ago, I took up a job in Jurong in a textile factory. My job scope was to flatten frabic to a certain specification. But I took on carpentry work, electrician work, washing, cleaning, and helping others in their various duties such as color assessment etc. I did all these extras for free. Within 4 months I was offered a job as foreman. I did not take up the offer, and went to NUS (US those days). In retrospect, I should have taken up the job. I might have been a very successful businessman today!

As far as doing things out of your scope, I say, do it! If it does not damage your health.

tell your boss you have height phobia.

tell your boss you are luck of some lens or flash or what to do the job, ask him to pay certain amount for your purchase :)

haha sorry to OT abit, but this thought came to my mind first thing when i read your thread..

"guy walks around office with bulky DSLR and heavy long lens, complete with vest and 'webbing', talking like a pro....so boss decide to 'tekan' this guy..."

:bsmilie:

on a more serious note, leave the job to the professionals. they know what to look out for. don't ever let him/her have the idea that, as long as you can operate a camera, means you can take any kind of photographs :nono: can his family GP operate in a neuro surgery?

Venom81 said:

there's always a choice. boss can make you do the job but he can't force you to use your own equipment.

Venom81 said:
When the Emperor tells the subject to die, the subject must die.
When the General wants the army to perish, the army must perish.

I'm not sure if I'm still living in the correct era... :sweat:

student said:
I tend to agree with Prismatic's POV.

What is more important is the risk to personal health.

I think it is a very undesirable attitude to say that if it is not within my "job scope", it is not my duty. I would go the further mile, and help my company in anyway I could. But if climbing a crane can endanger my health, then I would point out the problem to my boss.

Years ago, I took up a job in Jurong in a textile factory. My job scope was to flatten frabic to a certain specification. But I took on carpentry work, electrician work, washing, cleaning, and helping others in their various duties such as color assessment etc. I did all these extras for free. Within 4 months I was offered a job as foreman. I did not take up the offer, and went to NUS (US those days). In retrospect, I should have taken up the job. I might have been a very successful businessman today!

As far as doing things out of your scope, I say, do it! If it does not damage your health.
University of Singapore? :eek: That's a very, very long time ago goodness me.

I guess it very much depends on individual in such a scenario:
Some ppl believe in going all out.
Some ppl believe in doing what's enuff to get by.
Some ppl believe in smoking all the way.

I'm still pretty much stuck in the era of Ancient China or Ancient Japan I guess. :sweat:

I've got a suggestion. I use to bring my DSLR to work so much so that I became the de-facto office photographer.

What did I do?
I told them I sold of my DSLR and only have my film SLR with me. Most bosses dun like to wait....coz if I shoot on film...they'll have to wait for it to be processed and there is a processing cost. That way, I didn't have to offend my boss and other DSLR owners in my office get bugged for office photography assigments.

I ask for payment straight in my boss face before, it works, after that they will never ask you for help again :D

jsbn said:
When the Emperor tells the subject to die, the subject must die.
When the General wants the army to perish, the army must perish.

I'm not sure if I'm still living in the correct era... :sweat:

then i guess you cannot sell off your 300d liao...sell liao wait your boss make you buy 1dmk2n :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

i think that the co's coverage for damaged equipment is far lesser important than coverage for your limbs and life. as a word of caution, what your boss said(verbally) may not necessarily reflect their insurer's scope of coverage. so, do need to look into the t & cs.

Newman said:

reachme2003 said:
i think that the co's coverage for damaged equipment is far lesser important than coverage for your limbs and life. as a word of caution, what your boss said(verbally) may not necessarily reflect their insurer's scope of coverage. so, do need to look into the t & cs.

that is certainly true in this case. but what if your boss ask you to shoot for some company event where there is almost no risk to life and limb?

Status
Not open for further replies.