When do you use f1.8 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shark

Sep 25, 2003
West
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Would like to gather some feedback in what kind of shot do you use f1.8? :)

Low light, taking portraits, and when you don't have a external flash unit like me :) :sweat:

you mean F1.2 ?

obvious, lowlight and flash will spoil the shot.

Hi....

I think we used also f/1.8 or f/1.4 if we want more DOF.

bigboy-toyz_05_copy.JPG

^ you mean a shallow depth of field?

I use f1.8 when...

1) I plan for a shallow depth of field look
2) When I have no choice but to play with available light and its not bright enough, and I want to minimize the grain/electronic noise

wide open? when you absolutely, absolutely need every darned bit of light you can get.

50mm, 1/25s, ƒ/1.4, ISO1600.

Hi Guys,

well maybe you can search @ pbase for 50mm shots...
you will get to see more pictures and inspire by it.

Words don't let you get the pictures.

Not true.. it depends on how you position your flash..

It is very hard to position the flash nicely. Even with all sorts of weird devices that diffuses light, the light coming staight on will flatten the image. If you want to detach the flash from the shoe and move it to the side, you will need additional devices and probably a sidekick to carry the flash around. That's not too practical except in a home/studio environment.

Take a look at the section where people shoot girls at shows for examples of how flash destroys the look. Funny thing is... the people taking the pictures actually think that the whitish flashed flat look is nice. :bsmilie:

Hi Guys,

Whenever you feel f1.8 will deliver whatever you are trying to achieve.

It is very hard to position the flash nicely. Even with all sorts of weird devices that diffuses light, the light coming staight on will flatten the image. If you want to detach the flash from the shoe and move it to the side, you will need additional devices and probably a sidekick to carry the flash around. That's not too practical except in a home/studio environment.

Take a look at the section where people shoot girls at shows for examples of how flash destroys the look. Funny thing is... the people taking the pictures actually think that the whitish flashed flat look is nice. :bsmilie:

Lol.. there's always the option of bounced light from flashes.. still, I've always prefer available-light shooting.. but flashes do have their uses in certain situations. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.