When do you critique a photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmen2003

Mar 23, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Just curious. I observed some photos have double digit replies while others have 0 despite many views. Do you leave comments only when a photo is truly outstanding or if the photographer is yr friend or some well-known person in this forum.

I give my comments when I have something to say, and feel that by saying I can make some simple contribution.

i will generally post a reply/critique when i have the time, and it will usually be in the "street and candids" section which interests me most.

When I have a different view to the photo owner or any others who reply, therefore creating a discussion of views :eek:

I don't post a critique when:
1) I like the photo the way it is
2) Can't think of a way to improve a photo. Better to shut up than say 'your photo is lousy' and not offer any suggestions
3) Ignorant about the subject matter (like animal shots, product shots, etc)

I post a reply when:
1) The photo amazes me
2) When I can say something constructive.

when : i know of a way of how to improve that picture or when i really like that picture. Of course,the phrase 'comments are welcomed' is important.

i give comments when i see obvious faults so that the person can improve. bcos i am not expert, thus, i seldom give comments ....rather, i ask other for comments!

for me, i will 'study' the photo/s for about 1 minutes. if nothing or something minor comes to mind, then i do not post. if something which i feel relevant, in my view, comes to mind, i will post usually together with a suggestion how the photo/s can be improved. again, it is always in my view.

Ben1223 said:
2) Can't think of a way to improve a photo. Better to shut up than say 'your photo is lousy' and not offer any suggestions

I post a reply when:
1) The photo amazes me

Same here.

Ben1223 said:

I post a reply when:
1) The photo amazes me

DITTO.....

That just about sums up my view on the issue :)

Obviously people here have forgotten to mention that if the photographer was a girl, then the replies will automatically be double digit...

The same goes for any new intros from newbies.. the guys hardly get a response, the girls get tonnes...

So my suggestion is to change your nick to "CuteGirl" or something and you will get the response that you require.... i know someone in this forum who does it so he gets responses and critique.. works wonders..

:) :) :)

xmen2003 said:
Just curious. I observed some photos have double digit replies while others have 0 despite many views. Do you leave comments only when a photo is truly outstanding or if the photographer is yr friend or some well-known person in this forum.

if (Photographer == Friend) {
Select either
Input positive comments;
Or
Input rubbish with smilies;
}
else {
Do nothing;
}

kjmedora said:
Obviously people here have forgotten to mention that if the photographer was a girl, then the replies will automatically be double digit...

The same goes for any new intros from newbies.. the guys hardly get a response, the girls get tonnes...

So my suggestion is to change your nick to "CuteGirl" or something and you will get the response that you require.... i know someone in this forum who does it so he gets responses and critique.. works wonders..

:) :) :)

Damn...now that is hard slap on reality two cents I can second....which also basically is what happens in every aspect of society. It does not mean that since it is done by so many that it means it is right. Well whoever is disguising herself (himself) to get more replies to her(his) work or need help in technique advise..he is a smart banana. :)

AReality said:
if (Photographer == Friend) {
Select either
Input positive comments;
Or
}
else {
Do nothing;
}

ah yeah.. that's what i suspected long ago too.. the algo looks like what's going on for the majority. the trend mentioned by kjmedora is also somewhat true.. I've noticed this phenomenon as well.

I've tried posting several times for comments (good or bad) to improve with little or no results. I would have preferred bad comments to improve better. So I sort of given up posting up pics in here.

the edited algo should go like that then..

if (Photographer == Friend || Female) {
Select either
Input positive comments;
Or
}
else {
Do nothing;
}

i dun post when someone has already said wat i wanted to say that could help improve the shots...

i DO post when i feel that wat i post would make a difference....

cheers..

Guess good photos dun get many comments. Your photos must either be lousy or outstanding. Also you need to be popular here. ;p

When the owner asked for comments plus when I've something to say. :)

When you know each others or go for outing ,post often , rub with the right people , naturally your post will be fill with comments..

Status
Not open for further replies.