When do you consider yourself/someone a "Photographer"?

priser

Oct 20, 2007
I thought this might be an interesting topic to start:

When or How do you consider yourself/someone a "Photographer"?

When he or she has all the fine and expensive equipment?
When he or she has been taking photos seriously for years?
When he or she has been paid to take photos?
Are there any prerequisites or certain things that he or she must have done or is doing to be considered a photographer?

Let's discuss!

It's just a name. Does it matter if someone considers himself to be an artist, if he is concerned with creation, rather than formalities? Or a chef, or a race car driver for that matter? Actions speak louder than words - and talk/perception is cheap.

Everyone can be a photographer. It's like how do u define if a person is a soccer player? As long as he plays soccer. It's only how well he can perform.

interesting answers! but lets just say, for argument's sake.

if someone asks you (a general you): are you a photographer?

are you comfortable with saying that you are one?

Me? Yeap. I will say i am, but as a hobby. Far from pro.

I also play basketball in the past. So if people ask me whether if i am a basketball player, i will say "Ya i am, but i only only playing it for leisure. Not really into any basketball league" or something similar.

Oh to add on, it depends on the meaning of "Photographer".

It can be either a description for an occupation, for example accountant, and engineer, or it can be only refering it to someone who takes it up as a hobby, for example, LAN gamer, soccer player.

If it is preceived as an occupation, and if you are not an accountant and if people asked you "are u an accountant?", the answer is definitely no. This applies for "photographer".

If "Photographer" is referring to someone who has interest in photo taking, then the answer will be "yes". Same as LAN gamer or soccer player.

Last edited:

It depends on what they mean - the word "photographer" can have many connotations; e.g. it could mean that I do photography for a living; it could mean that I take photos, it could mean that I have camera gear. Most of the time, I think it would be the second definition - and so far I have not encountered strangers asking me such a weird question out of the blue.... So the simplest answer would be "yes", in the sense that I do photography as a hobby.

The word photographer has many connotations, denotations and implications depending on how it is defined and in what context or environment.

the moment you buy/own a camrea?
the moment you get paid for taking photographs?

the word 'photographer' should be used with an attached adjetive to better describe one's area of interest/specialization eg. I'm essentially an animal ..... but specifically a human being of Chinese descent from Singapore

this is an eternally rethorical question posted in the Tech Talk sub-forum

moving it to kopitiam

Last edited:
It's just a name. Does it matter if someone considers himself to be an artist, if he is concerned with creation, rather than formalities? Or a chef, or a race car driver for that matter? Actions speak louder than words - and talk/perception is cheap.

seconds this.

to me a photographer has some level of added value?

a better understanding rather than point and shoot i guess

imo one is considered a photographer the moment he takes photo

Well doesn't that make everyone in the world a photographer? Since most people of the world had at least taken a photo before.
A photographer is one who takes photo with passion and creativity.

I told them that I am an amateur photographer.

Last edited:
When I am paid to shoot.

Other than that, I am just a gwc. Like the two above.

I think photographer is too professional a term to be used on just anyone who can take decent photographs.