When do we use a lens hood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xander5480

Feb 9, 2009
Yishun
Hi everyone.
I just wanna ask when do we use a lens hood? Or can i just attached to it every time i use the lens.

Hi everyone.
I just wanna ask when do we use a lens hood? Or can i just attached to it every time i use the lens.

Hi-5! we have the same equipments! Er, i leave my lens hood on 100% of the time!

when you want to reduce flare...
and stray lights coming into your lens....

Other than that, it may protect the filter or the lens element when you accidentally bump into some stuff.

but let say if there are no stray lights coming into my lens, if i still use the hood, will the hood affect the photo?

Just bring it along, you may not know when you need it.
Anyway, most lens hood are able to fit onto your lens in a reverse way.

Other than that, it may protect the filter or the lens element when you accidentally bump into some stuff.
That's exacly why I use it too. As a simple profylactic measure. It stops you from accidentally touching the front of the lens and such. These days the coatings on most lenses are good enough to eliminate flare in all but the most difficult lighting conditions, but the hood will still protect the front element very well. :)

but let say if there are no stray lights coming into my lens, if i still use the hood, will the hood affect the photo?
nope,

my lenshood is always on, day or night, outdoor or studio, the only time I take out is when the hood is getting in the way if I shooting in a tight confine space or with some filters, or I keep my camera into the bag.

You can just leave it on 100%.

Worst case.. no effect on pictures (unless you used the telephoto lens hood on the wide lens, or is trying some special flare effects). Other cases, possible improvement to picture quality by reducing undesirable effects like flare.

Besides, with the lens hood on, i can dump my lens into my bag without its lens cap on. Allows to you change lenses significantly faster imho :)

I look at it this way, besides taking up space in your bag, there is bascially nothing detrimental a hood can do you your pictures; unless of course you have an incompatible hood, then you might get vignetting.

Last yr some sweaty guy bumped into my 70-300 during an outdoor event. From that horrible moment onwards the hood stays on 24/7.

the hood might block ur built-in-flash when it fires. the result may be shadows appearing on the bottom of ur picture, especially if u are shooting at the widest end. i am not sure if that will be the case for ur 18-55, since it is quite small.

An example from a victim on flickr. (from member neildettwiler)
2116262319_2eda01a4fe.jpg

as a general rule, use it when needed. just dump in ur camera bag. use it as and when u see fit.

Last edited:
i use the lens hood more for protection against accidental bump... it has prove it's worth a few times! recently being the I.T show ;)

Actually, these days, I tend to be more lazy and due to space constraints... I tend to keep the hood at home unless I anticipate flare issues...

Last yr some sweaty guy bumped into my 70-300 during an outdoor event. From that horrible moment onwards the hood stays on 24/7.

Understand how you feel. :bsmilie:
Some people just walk without looking.

I dun even bring my hoods out of my Hoods Cabinet. The only time i use them
was when they are inbuilt like my 16mm FE ...

Not overuling the importance of them, they can improve contrast and many other
advantages outlined as above, but for me the use of filters can be pretty inconvenient.
Usually i will just improvise with my hands ..

Ryan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.