When do u think dslr will every become affordable at the consumer lvl?

How long??

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystix

Jan 18, 2002
Planet Earth
Visit site
I'm sick of seeing all those high prices knowing that it'll be years and years b4 i can ever afford one.
Hope theres some new breakthru tech that will slash the price of all digicams soon....otherwise DSLRs will juz be another dream sigh...

the body will become more affordable but I think the lens will still be quite expensive.........

With the increasing number of new DSLR models coming out, you'd be able to find the older models at much cheaper prices compared to their original retail prices... be it old stocks or good secondhand ones!

I believe in less than 3 years time, DSLR and prosumer digicams would fall to the price of the current film-based counterparts.

Originally posted by mpenza
I believe in less than 3 years time, DSLR and prosumer digicams would fall to the price of the current film-based counterparts.

I don't think so it will happen in the next 5 years. For one, there is more complex electronics in digicams, which add to the cost. Second, for digitals there is very high R & D cost involved, and the cycle of new releases is much shorter, leaving less time to recoup the costs. For example, the Nikon F90X and F70 are still selling 8 years after their initial release. It would be hard to find new S1 Pros or D30s just 2 years after their release.

Digital cameras in general be it digicam or DSLR follow the computer trend. Which means the price won't change much but the technology advances. For example, a 6-megapix DSLR like D60 or D100 now cost over $3,500.00. In 1 or 2 years time a 12-megapix or above DSLR will probably cost the same.

Originally posted by art2d2
Digital cameras in general be it digicam or DSLR follow the computer trend. Which means the price won't change much but the technology advances. For example, a 6-megapix DSLR like D60 or D100 now cost over $3,500.00. In 1 or 2 years time a 12-megapix or above DSLR will probably cost the same.

Erm hate to say this but for years the cost of computer hardware dropped at a rate between 20% and 40% per year in real terms, for example the first CD rom kit from CL ran out at around 1500 dollars in 1990-1. Low end hard disk prices have halved in actual dollar terms in the past 4 years and the capacity has quadrupled for each dollar spent in the same time period.

This was particularly prevalent during the the time frame of the mid 80s to mid 90s.

My guess is that DSLR prices will fall to aroud 2,000 SGD once the holy grail of 15-16Mp full frame sensors is reached and not before. This will probably occur in 1-2 generations of bodies.
I'm expecting to see massive improvements in frame transfer rates, storage capacity and sensor technologies in the next 5 years. There's some really big changes coming methinks.

There will almost certainly be a price differential between amateur and professional DSLR's though.

Instead of waiting, y not invest in a mid range or top end film SLR first??In maybe 4 to 5 yrs time, u would prob have quite an array of lenses to compliment the DSLR which u may purchase. Then, U can also enjoy yr passion thru both film and Digital. Digital imaging tech is still evolving, maybe by the time u purchase yr DSLR, u may get a camera wif lotsa features at a reasonable/affordable price. I will probably be scouting ard for a DSLR in 4 to 5 yrs time.

Originally posted by kongg
Instead of waiting, y not invest in a mid range or top end film SLR first??In maybe 4 to 5 yrs time, u would prob have quite an array of lenses to compliment the DSLR which u may purchase. Then, U can also enjoy yr passion thru both film and Digital. Digital imaging tech is still evolving, maybe by the time u purchase yr DSLR, u may get a camera wif lotsa features at a reasonable/affordable price. I will probably be scouting ard for a DSLR in 4 to 5 yrs time.

can tahan so long meh? ;p

hopefully, there will still be cameras that have the focal length multiplier (smaller ccd=cheaper consumer dslr?)

sure.......can tahan one. Now is the time for the manufacturers to test out their cameras on the early adopters. When the dust settles down, then we move in for the kill.

erm for me its subjective, its as affordable as can be now or either in many many many years to come...

i observed that many amatuers already own dslrs......

Are they affordable to them at consumer lvl?

bearing in mind this....

it might nv be affordable.....as in many pple who are still interested in photography may nv buy as they deemed its unaffordable to them.....

so just for discussion sake, wat constitutes "affordable"?

to me i feel its affordable as it is as many non pros already own them with quite an array of diff lenses....

;)

Originally posted by Revo
erm for me its subjective, its as affordable as can be now or either in many many many years to come...

i observed that many amatuers already own dslrs......

Are they affordable to them at consumer lvl?

bearing in mind this....

it might nv be affordable.....as in many pple who are still interested in photography may nv buy as they deemed its unaffordable to them.....

so just for discussion sake, wat constitutes "affordable"?

to me i feel its affordable as it is as many non pros already own them with quite an array of diff lenses....

;)

interesting logic. I guess the message is BUY BUY BUY!

Sorry I've to beg to differ opinion, I dun think the price will drop to such a level.
As a business plan as well as marketing strategy, they will discontinue the production of that particular model once there R new model replacing them or once the business goal have been achieved.

It is actually up to the retailer and flea market to slash the price once the product going/have discontinued, but does anyone or majority of the ppls will still go 4 something which is going or have stop production? (there will not be much service support, mind U!)

Just my opinion. ;)

Originally posted by scanner
Sorry I've to beg to differ opinion, I dun think the price will drop to such a level.

As a business plan as well as marketing strategy, they will discontinue the production of that particular model once there R new model replacing them or once the business goal have been achieved.

Actually, looking at the prices here in the UK we have now seen a massive drop in prices for the latest DSLR entry - the Nikon D100. It's initial retail price was around £1989.00 but that start a downhill plunge almost immediately to around £1700.00 now. However, if you go to the various outlets other than the big retail outlets, we're looking at prices as low as £1200.00. All this in the span of 6 months... and prices are still dropping!!!

This quesiton is quite tricky. When a new DSLR model comes out, the old one almost always become obsolete quickly in the market. For eg, when the D60 came out, the price of the D30 dropped somewhat for a while and very quickly went out of production about the same time. Think it's a marketing ploy. Cos if they sell the D30 at a much cheaper rate, some people will not be "forced" to consider the D60 and those who have bought the D30 at a higher rate will see red indeed. (I believe there are many pple who only need a D30 but cos they can't source for a resonably priced one brand new or second hand, they decide to pay that bit more and go with the D60 instead.)

It's like computer. Once Pentium IV is out, Pentium III will still sell for a short while after which it dies completely. But how many of us need a Pentium 4 at 2 GHz? If they were still to sell Pentium 3, I guess it would be less than S$1000! (An average Pentium 4 can be at a typical price of $1200-$2000) That'd be a good buy of course if all you need is a Pentium 3. But no way, you are forced to go with a 4. And for some, a Pentium 2 is all they need. It should cost less than S$500 brand new if possible. Good buy but no way.

So I don't think brand new DSLR prices will come down to be as affordable as film-based cameras so soon. Your only hope is to consider it second hand when a new model comes out but even then, the former can still be pretty expensive. I think now is a good time to be in digital photography but it is still in its infancy. After all, DLSR are usually for pros, semi-pros and advanced amateurs who can afford them.

Originally posted by Jerome

After all, DLSR are usually for pros, semi-pros and advanced amateurs who can afford them.

u mean rich amateurs, whatever the skill level.

Status
Not open for further replies.