When (D) lens are an added advantage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulhan

May 11, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
Hiee...

I have be asked by some ppl on why Minolta have the (D) function and is the (D) functionality is a must....?

Here are my answers:

The (D) lens is an added feature new to some of the new ranges of lens. The (D) is great for lanes which are used for portraitures and macros - where flash exposure needs to be as accurate as possible irregardless of relfectance of the subject or object.

Therefore, when the Dynax 7 was launced, there
are actually 4 lens specifically intoduced to take advantage of this (D) feature...

Depth of Filed information could also be made available and this helps in determining DOF and hyperfocal distance estimations....

the first 4......
-24-105mm (D)
-85mm (D)
-100-300 (D)
-100mm Macro (D)

The newer SSM 70-200 is a (D) as it would be a great tool for portraiture...
There are other new lenses that have (D) after these first few D lens were introduced........

If the subject is far away (telephotos).....or landscape scenes......then the (D) may not be that useful - as flash may not have enough power to cover....and lens is focused at infinity.....

Any other advantages that you can think of???

rgds,
sulhan

There is at least one other advantage that comes with using a D lens -- on the Maxxum 7, anyway, the LCD screen on the back will tell you the depth of field, in feet and meters, when the DOF preview button is pressed on the camera. This is a great way to tell precisely what's in focus, even if you can't see it in the viewfinder (great at night, too.). It's hard to tell what you have in focus sometimes otherwise.

unfortunately for me, I've bought all used older fixed lenses (20, 28, 200 apo, etc.) so I can only get the benefit from my 24-105, which ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, so to speak.

Just to add to Sulhan's detail explanation:

1) Optically, D or non-D does not make a big difference. If the elements and glasses uses the same design and coating, they give the same image quality (sharpness, colour, bokeh). D is to guage the distance mainly for flash power computation.

2) Depth of view information is indeed good to have, especially for portraiture to tell you if the nose and ears of the subject is in focus when you focus on the eyes. (only available on Dynax 7)

3) Not many bodies support this new D feature. Camera from Dynax 7 and after enjoy this feature (like Dynax 5, 4, 3, 60/70).

I don't use it often for flash, more on the DOF Display with D7 + 100 Macro (D)! :thumbsup:

forbytes said:
Just to add to Sulhan's detail explanation:

1) Optically, D or non-D does not make a big difference. If the elements and glasses uses the same design and coating, they give the same image quality (sharpness, colour, bokeh). D is to guage the distance mainly for flash power computation.

It is also important to note that "D" is only useful for direct flash metering. It helps sets a "roof" for the metering so pictures are not overexposed when direct flash is used (otherwise a common problem) -- with bounced flash, normal metering is used.

forbytes said:
3) Not many bodies support this new D feature. Camera from Dynax 7 and after enjoy this feature (like Dynax 5, 4, 3, 60/70).

Also, the 9 with latest upgrade (the SSM upgrade) supports D flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.