When comments/feedbacks were sought after at galleries, how were they given?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakThru

Oct 27, 2004
Hi all,

Firstly, I really sincerely don't mean to offend anyone if somehow or another any feels so. My apologies if this is the case.:sweat:

Anyway, I am asking the subject mentioned question because I was browsing thru the photo galleries recently and almost all comments or feedbacks were the same. Either a thumbs up or "very nice" or "another nice series". Don't get me wrong that I don't agree with them, as a matter of fact I do agree...the pics from some pros are really nice to look at! but I was looking for constructive feedbacks as in applying the question "why?" to all comments. Why is it nice/very nice/:thumbsup: /nice series etc.

I believe if the reason can be stated then it would be much more valuable and meaningful to the thread starter and also others who are trying to learn from the pros who are so kind to share.

I would really hope to read more elaborated comments/feedbacks in clubsnap. Maybe some of you might wanna share or enlighten me about this comment of mine. Thanks and best regards.

:D

I for one found that giving feedback takes a lot out of me, because I must learn to see the photograph with a very critical eye. And because I'm not a trained art critic, it will have to draw on my personal experience which may not be applicable to others. My personal experience is not very deep to draw on in the first place.

But the biggest put-off for me is the realisation that not many people can take honest critic well. Frankly I feel some people post the photos up just to be praised...

Ah Pao said:
I for one found that giving feedback takes a lot out of me, because I must learn to see the photograph with a very critical eye. And because I'm not a trained art critic, it will have to draw on my personal experience which may not be applicable to others. My personal experience is not very deep to draw on in the first place.

I agree that giving good constructive feedbacks are not easy... would really appreciate those who are good in accessing and analysing photos to give elaborative feedbacks.

I would suppose the feedback has to be objective also... not personal or harsh... otherwise might just start a war... :sweat:

Detailed critic do take quite a lot of time to be written. On the other hand, it could be pretty hard to express why you like a photo in words. All in all, got response better than none at all right?

Splutter said:
On the other hand, it could be pretty hard to express why you like a photo in words. All in all, got response better than none at all right?

Once a pro told me... a good picture is all about this: "it feels right." And I asked him, how to justify if it feels right or not as in how to take such pics? and his reply was: "common sense lor..." I then tell him: "if a person can't take a "feels right" pic, then the person doesn't have common sense?? And he couldn't answer me... :)

IMO it can be done but must be done carefully to make sense out of it. Having responses is good... but maybe not good enough. :)

BreakThru said:
but I was looking for constructive feedbacks as in applying the question "why?" to all comments.

Hehe ... "why" can be a dangerously subversive question in the local culture ...

I do agree with your sentiments about online galleries. One problem is that mass-produced pictures can't expect more than mass-produced feedback. Also, on the Clubsnap gallery, many pictures have been judged based on the brand of camera used, or whether one likes/dislikes a particular person.

You may want to take a look at the Critique Corner section. While it also suffers from some problems, at least there's some effort to maintain minimal standards.

Yup... I agree. Just wish to raise awareness and hopefully there will be some who are willing to be different. Sincerely hope to see more constructive feedbacks of pics posted so that all can learn from it, including the photographer himself/herself. Ofcourse if the attitude of the photographer is not receptive to comments(less those nice and good to ear ones), then just leave that guy/girl in peace.

The photographer is the best critique themselves.

espn said:
The photographer is the best critique themselves.

There can be different meanings about your statement... care to elaborate? :)

:thumbsup:
There are 3 Points that i would judge/rate a photo :

[1] Good Technical Aspect and Execution

[2] Strong Concept or Originality

[3] Able to Provide Alternative Perspective or Interpretation to an old theme or subject

www.nickgoh.com.sg

Enchanted said:
:thumbsup:
There are 3 Points that i would judge/rate a photo :

[1] Good Technical Aspect and Execution

[2] Strong Concept or Originality

[3] Able to Provide Alternative Perspective or Interpretation to an old theme or subject

www.nickgoh.com.sg

Good pointers! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

i think this topic has been talked about a lot of times liao... just do a search and you will see....

i think... for me now it's very simple.

if i like the photograph that i took, i like it, that's good enough.

having one more person like it will mean it's a bonus, even if nobody else does.

and any other extra persons added to the list will just be a bonus.

so it's just, i like can liao + bonus + bonus etc.

your choice to find your own balance ba....

sequitur said:
i think this topic has been talked about a lot of times liao... just do a search and you will see....

i think... for me now it's very simple.

if i like the photograph that i took, i like it, that's good enough.

having one more person like it will mean it's a bonus, even if nobody else does.

and any other extra persons added to the list will just be a bonus.

so it's just, i like can liao + bonus + bonus etc.

your choice to find your own balance ba....

I agree fully. also as with what espn wrote.

In general, a person won't post a photo that they think is cr*p.

Unless they like the concept of the photo and want assistance on how to re-take the photo;
in which case the feedback will be in-depth.

Asking for C+C leaves the reply open to simply :thumbsup: or :thumbsd:

But asking for assistance to better it, leaves the reply open for more.

Cheers :)

BreakThru said:
There can be different meanings about your statement... care to elaborate? :)
Shoot 100, choose 10 best.

From the 10 best, choose 5 best.

From the 5 choose 2 best.

Out of the 2, choose the best.

Point is simple. The photographer knows the best strengths and weaknesses of the image themselves. Who is better to critique their own works than themselves?

Pablo said:
I agree fully. also as with what espn wrote.

In general, a person won't post a photo that they think is cr*p.

Unless they like the concept of the photo and want assistance on how to re-take the photo;
in which case the feedback will be in-depth.

Asking for C+C leaves the reply open to simply :thumbsup: or :thumbsd:

But asking for assistance to better it, leaves the reply open for more.

Cheers :)

Ok, understand what you guys mean. I guess in CS the galleries are more meant for posting shots which are satisfactory to the photographers, and to show or express what their interest is. It is not so much about how others think about the pics but just to share what they shoot and find nice or worthy to show.

Perhaps critique corner is the one to go after all if one wish to analyse the pics or have their pic analysed. I would really hope to see one day where CS has more gurus(good & recognised photographers) appearing to analyse good and bad pics taken by CSers(who can take feedbacks).

I had searched the past discussions and found some related ones. Nevertheless just thought of hearing some current opinions about this.

Thanks all for your input and opinions. :)

espn said:
Shoot 100, choose 10 best.

From the 10 best, choose 5 best.

From the 5 choose 2 best.

Out of the 2, choose the best.

Point is simple. The photographer knows the best strengths and weaknesses of the image themselves. Who is better to critique their own works than themselves?

I guess you are refering to those who are good and seeking improvements always. I agree that these photographers knew whats going on. My point is that it will be great if the pics were analysed and commented then the others will get to understand the concept about the take.

Having said that... no offence to anyone but I have met people who have such great faith about their pics and find them "award winner" quality but in fact there were rooms for improvements. Anyway... thats my opinion perhaps.

BreakThru said:
Ok, understand what you guys mean. I guess in CS the galleries are more meant for posting shots which are satisfactory to the photographers, and to show or express what their interest is. It is not so much about how others think about the pics but just to share what they shoot and find nice or worthy to show.

Perhaps critique corner is the one to go after all if one wish to analyse the pics or have their pic analysed. I would really hope to see one day where CS has more gurus(good & recognised photographers) appearing to analyse good and bad pics taken by CSers(who can take feedbacks).

I had searched the past discussions and found some related ones. Nevertheless just thought of hearing some current opinions about this.

Thanks all for your input and opinions. :)

hmm..

come on lah. it has been like this since a few years back liao so just leave it as it is.. i don't think it's about to change.. :)

like i said, if you can't satisfy the whole, just satisfy yourself...

like at the end of the day, we are taking photos for what? for ourselves to be happy, or for others to be happy? your own intentions and motives lorh...

alright.. have fun..

BreakThru said:
I guess you are refering to those who are good and seeking improvements always. I agree that these photographers knew whats going on. My point is that it will be great if the pics were analysed and commented then the others will get to understand the concept about the take.

Having said that... no offence to anyone but I have met people who have such great faith about their pics and find them "award winner" quality but in fact there were rooms for improvements. Anyway... thats my opinion perhaps.
Problem is how many can understand the concept or appreciate what others see?

Can you understand student's concept? (Got a feeling I'm going to get murdered by student) Can you understand even by analysing and read comments about the shots?

For me, even till now I cannot appreciate street photography, why bother to explain and analyse? As long as I feel the shot has the impact, that's good enough for me. Minor nits can be forgone and ignored.

A shot is a moment, you get it, or lose it. If you get it, it's obvious, there's no way to re-take the same moment/shot.

There are always room for improvement(s) but that's always the ideal case. Ask jeremyftk, he showed me some shots/prints the other day when we first met, commenting and criticising is easy. But it's all talk only.

Shoot first. Talk later.

Hi BreakThru,

Since you joined "October 2004", how often have you viewed the forums ?

There has and is plenty feedback regarding views on photo's posted.

It just doesn't happen on "every single photo posted".

Also, unless a person does "ask" for critque of their photo, none is often given other than :thumbsup:

As for (gurus(good & recognised photographers)), refer to first line (no, not the one, Hi BreakThru :bsmilie: ).

Cheers

espn said:
Problem is how many can understand the concept or appreciate what others see?

Can you understand student's concept? (Got a feeling I'm going to get murdered by student) Can you understand even by analysing and read comments about the shots?

For me, even till now I cannot appreciate street photography, why bother to explain and analyse? As long as I feel the shot has the impact, that's good enough for me. Minor nits can be forgone and ignored.

A shot is a moment, you get it, or lose it. If you get it, it's obvious, there's no way to re-take the same moment/shot.

There are always room for improvement(s) but that's always the ideal case. Ask jeremyftk, he showed me some shots/prints the other day when we first met, commenting and criticising is easy. But it's all talk only.

Shoot first. Talk later.
Here is a shot, technically, I think it's lousy, but in my opinion the moment itself made up for it. Original shot was underexposed by about 1 stop because the metering was at spot and it spotted the sky. The picture was cropped, levels adjusted and sharpened.

ESPN's comments are wise. Why worry? Shoot first, talk later... you missed the moment means you missed it. Go ahead.. Criticize this photo. :)

D70s - ISO800 1/1600", 18-200VR @ 200mm/5.6.
IBPbird001s.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.