When buying CPL or filters should we get the exact size?

MentholLite

Dec 25, 2008
Hi guys,

I am going to get a CPL for my 67mm lens. Still undecided on what brand to go for.

However, is it advisable to just get 67mm CPL 1st or should jump straightaway into 77mm CPL with a step-down ring (provided there will be an upgrade to 77mm lens)?

T.I.A

I'm using 77mm and step-up rings for all my lenses. Ok, some lenses it rather looks like a trumpet (50mm f/1.8) but who cares :)

The purpose to step up is to remove the chance of vignetting ?

tweakmax2 said:
The purpose to step up is to remove the chance of vignetting ?

The main aim is so that you don't have to buy so many CPLs, they are too expensive to buy for all sizes

I got the largest one for my largest lens and step-up for all other smaller lens.

what lenses will you be using your CPL on? Usually CPL goes often with wide angles, but of course there is no hard and fast rule saying a telephoto cannot use a CPL.

If you plan on future usage (which you probably may not know what size they come in), you might want to consider getting a square CPL, get the adaptor ring as and when you get a new lens so that it will fit all your current and future lenses. If you only intend to just use it on this lens, then the round 1 is the most sleek.

For UV filter I will go for exact size as will normally just leave it on camera and if buy bigger one can't fit the hood.
If for CPL will get bigger size one and just step up ring for different lens size, as I dun always leave it on the lens or attach hood onto the lens when using CPL. Plus CPL cost more.
For brand now I mostly just go for either Hoya or B+W.