When buying a second hand camera..

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicekid

Apr 2, 2006
What should a complete noob lookout for to ensure he is not being cheated? for both digital and film cameras.. any assistance will be greatly appreciated.. thanks!!:D

nicekid said:
What should a complete noob lookout for to ensure he is not being cheated? for both digital and film cameras.. any assistance will be greatly appreciated.. thanks!!:D

For both type, check things like functions to see if all are workable, condition of lens, check if flash working, batteries to see if any damage or able to charge. If digital, take pics and zoom it fully on the LCD to see any spots or markings. Film wise check if film motor is working and take some shots to see if shutters working fine.

U can also try at different shutter speeds and even bulb mode. :)

thanks.. :D .. oh and would u recommend an slr, dslr, film or any other kind of cam?

nicekid said:
thanks.. :D .. oh and would u recommend an slr, dslr, film or any other kind of cam?

Depends on yr budget and needs. For me it's only an SLR and nothing else cos i love the feel and superior control of SLR. Go film (like myself) if u're low on budget and very particular about image quality. DSLRs save a lot on film and processing costs and can view results immediately on the LCD. Film ones can really train yr confidence for each shot as of cos, there're no LCDs at all.

FYI I'm writing a guide (probably launch it nxt wk) to answer questions like these regarding making purchases of used photographic equipment. Do look out for it in the consumer's section.

I've got a write up here:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=186674

It'll be an e-book distributed via email.

ok.. many thanks:D :D :D .. i'm thinking of getting a cam from cashconverters.. does anyone have a better suggestion??

If I am buying a camera in CLUBSNAP B&S, I usually check the past posts of the guy selling it. You can tell if that guy is pro, amateur, etc. I usually try to buy stuff from hobbyist who seldom use their camera. I never buy from pro as my take is that they use their cameras MUCH more often.

nicekid said:
ok.. many thanks:D :D :D .. i'm thinking of getting a cam from cashconverters.. does anyone have a better suggestion??

Don't buy from there! I've checked it out and found that cams there are usually not well taken care of. My friend last time bought an EOS 888 and sold it the next day cos cam kept giving problems.

Buy can check from BnS section here in Clubsnap, K-13 and TCW.

Status
Not open for further replies.