When Buying a DSLR...

snookerum

Nov 17, 2010
OK, so I've gone around the forum, trying to get hints of advice here and there on deciding on a camera. I've got quite a few in mind, really, but I'm still apprehensive, so may I ask if anyone knows a shop where the people are patient enough to allow customers to actually touch and feel the cameras before buying them?

I see many people here talk about how the camera may be too large/small, too heavy, too bulky... and really, these things are up the person to decide, so it's kinda hard to make a decision. For example, A may say that his hands are large, but how large is large? Maybe your large is my small? God knows. I'm a person who likes to try out, touch and feel what I'm buying. Like my earphones, I actually tried a few before deciding. So same for my camera purchase, I'm hoping to be able to find a shop that would at least allow me some "special time" with the cameras before deciding! :angel:

Thanks for your help, people!! :D

There are quite a few shops - I'd suggest Funan. There you have the SonyStyle where you can test Sony cameras, as well as Canon and Nikon options. John 3:16 will let you fondle Canon and Nikon cameras a lot, but try not to be affected by their sales tactics - they will try to brainwash you left right centre. SLR Revo should also have the Pentax options, and There's also a Courts there with more models.

Can go to courts, harvey norman these kind of places to touch touch. John 3:16 is rather patient with customers as well, unless you buying DSLR other than Canon or Nikon, then they will psycho you on how bad other brand are:bsmilie:

Thanks Rashkae!! I hate going to Courts, actually... Some of the saleperson I've had the displeasure to meet were completely impatient, giving me that faster-buy-so-that-I-may-earn-your-commission vibe. Absolutely detest that! As for Sales tactics.... I better bring a friend along to fend that off!! ^^

You can also go Cathay Photo , unless they change their recent practice, they use to let customer try and feel lens and camera bodies.

You can go Vivocity, theres a large best denki there to play with all the brands cam , as well as a Canon / Samsung display gallery to try out their cams.

If you're up north, go to MS Color at AMK.

Go Courts to try but I wouldn't advise buying from them... I had my bad experiences there as well.

When I was shopping around for my DSLR with my dad the salesman there keep on trying to psycho my dad to buy the Olympus E-620 and refuses to talk to me. It seems that he is aware that I had some knowledge of cameras and tried to get my Dad (who of course has the money) to decide what to buy instead. He keep on harping on how all professionals in SPH use Olympus Cameras (true!?). Quite annoying, especially when the camera is for me.

I know the E-620 is a fine camera but Olympus as a whole didn't seem to be supporting their normal DSLRs as much anymore. It seems that he is trying to clear the stock of those cameras.

I wouldn't say this is true of all courts since I do not have any experience with the rest of Courts outlets.

Sorry for the rant... in any case what the bros above have mentioned are all true. Bring a more experienced friend along so that you do not get blindsided by things they offer but you don't know about.

PS: The good thing about courts is that sometimes they will just ignore you totally when you are playing with the cameras on display... So you can play with them for quite some time!

Courts is a good place to try the basic models. I've noticed that they tend not to place the more high-end stuff out there! :)

another option is the 'showrooms' for the cameras:
1) Nikon: 10th flr, Fuji Xerox towers
2) Canon: 2nd floor Vivocity (next to Challenger)
3) Sony: just about every Sony Style outlet
4) the rest (Pentax, Olympus, etc), sorry I'm not sure... :embrass:

OK, so I've gone around the forum, trying to get hints of advice here and there on deciding on a camera. I've got quite a few in mind, really, but I'm still apprehensive, so may I ask if anyone knows a shop where the people are patient enough to allow customers to actually touch and feel the cameras before buying them?

I see many people here talk about how the camera may be too large/small, too heavy, too bulky... and really, these things are up the person to decide, so it's kinda hard to make a decision. For example, A may say that his hands are large, but how large is large? Maybe your large is my small? God knows. I'm a person who likes to try out, touch and feel what I'm buying. Like my earphones, I actually tried a few before deciding. So same for my camera purchase, I'm hoping to be able to find a shop that would at least allow me some "special time" with the cameras before deciding! :angel:

Thanks for your help, people!! :D

john 3:16 will let you fondle. they are well known for their value-added customer service - your fingerprints, another man's love (along with the sweet overtures that you get at the shop).

4) the rest (Pentax, Olympus, etc), sorry I'm not sure... :embrass:

for pentax, i think slr revolution should be ok, though i'm not sure if they let you actually take test shots - you can always call them in advance to check their policy. but i know they will let you handle the camera.

1) Nikon: 10th flr, Fuji Xerox towers

Oh Cool! Thanks for this info! Was checking the net to find the "showrooms", but couldn't find one for Nikon :embrass:

Oh Cool! Thanks for this info! Was checking the net to find the "showrooms", but couldn't find one for Nikon :embrass:
Be careful... that place is "poisonous"!!
kekeke
But they don't (I think they don't) sell cameras there, so less sales pressure.

for pentax, i think slr revolution should be ok, though i'm not sure if they let you actually take test shots - you can always call them in advance to check their policy. but i know they will let you handle the camera.
I guess that's all the TS would like to do, to get a feel of it. Taking test shots (to me at least) is kinda pointless, since conditions wouldn't be ideal to get sharp and "test-worthy" shots anyway :)

Oh my, why poisonous!!!:eek:

Erm. Cause they have almost, if not everything, tt is for retail available for testing over there? :bsmilie: But no pressure there, as they don't do retail there IIRC.

Sales service, public relations is so bad in Singapore. Back then I just came back from Nevada, US, when I stepped into one of the camera stores, I was warmly welcomed by the sales person when he walked with me around the shop, tell me about his shop promotions. At the end, it's not customer to customer sevice, it's a friendship at the end.

John 3:16 will only promote their Canon & Nikon products, that's cos they didn't want to physcho the rest of the customers, they were using mainly Nikon & Canon.

Be careful... that place is "poisonous"!!
kekeke
But they don't (I think they don't) sell cameras there, so less sales pressure.

Second and third that, (erm...make that forth too).... NSC is the MOTHER LOAD of ALL Nikon Poisons... :sweat:

They display all of their DSLR bodies for you to molest until they close shop at 5.50pm (SHARP)... Not sure about D3S or D3X though (I don't know and I don't care...:sweat:), I know D700 is there coz my skin follicles are on it...

Last edited:
I second Courts as a testing ground. Was at their Tampines megastore when deciding between D90 and 550D, and the salesperson was kind enough to not only let me use my own sd card to take test shots, but change one of the batteries which was low (no, I didn't spend that much time there!). I told her from the start that I wasn't buying that day, but she still provided good service. Helps that it wasn't very crowded that day. In fact, I would consider the lack of crowd to be one of the most important factors in getting a good feel of the product, whether camera or car. You are much less likely to be pressured - they either take their time with you, or ignore you completely, I'm happy with both! :)

They display all of their DSLR bodies for you to molest until they close shop at 5.50pm (SHARP)... Not sure about D3S or D3X though (I don't know and I don't care...:sweat:), I know D700 is there coz my skin follicles are on it...

Sadly they only open during the weekdays. People like me probably can't make it down to the Svc Centre before the lock clicks shut. I'll try my bestest to go over there and play, one day! :bsmilie: