When buy tripod, what is the best height?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
If one is 170cm and physically active and fit, what is the best height of his tripod?
Of course, my purpose is to minimize weight also.

dRebelXT said:
If one is 170cm and physically active and fit, what is the best height of his tripod?
Of course, my purpose is to minimize weight also.

There is no right or wrong height but ideally, the tripod + head should be at the same level of your eye.

If weight is a concern on top of stability, choose a carbon fibre version. You only need to buy once.

yyD70S said:
There is no right or wrong height but ideally, the tripod + head should be at the same level of your eye.

If weight is a concern on top of stability, choose a carbon fibre version. You only need to buy once.

Perspective that you want is more important a factor. Eye level is not a mission critical guide. If you need to shoot high, then only a tall one and a stool can do it. No right and wrong. Usually one tripod cannot solve all shooting situations. If money and space is no object, then

a. Get a light one for travelling/ and use with care. (Gitzo 1227 etc)
b. Get a tallish heavy one for windy nature. (Gitzo has many models too/studex etc)
c. Get a cheaper, heavier tall 'light' for general purpose/ bang around/dump in the car. (Manfrotto 055 etc or maybe 190)

Not everyone will agree with me. Do hit my views hard if you disagree. Love to hear how others does it and maybe better ideas can surface.
Whatever you do, do not buy those cheapo ones that are meant for point and shoot cams and try it on heavy cam and lens. Sure regret - when the lens crack.

i guess u'll hav 2 find d answer urself eventually. :)

I'm about 17+ cm too. The best height for me would be camera viewfinder at my eye level without extending tripod centre column. So far only Feisol CT-3401 meet my requirement.

I see. In fact, I am very ready to sit on my foot like the soldier stance or lean
forward, and on my old tripod, I seem seldom extend the fourth leg.

One more thing, when measuring the height required - for those short lenses w/o tripod collars and in portrait position on the ballhead, you will realise that you need a tall tripod if you were to avoid bending down and strain your back.

There are many factors to consider in choosing a tripod (weight of tripod, rated weight, stability, centre column, hook, ability to shoot at ground level, no. of sections, etc) all has its pro and cons.

If height is your only concern, than the factors related to height are:
1. your height
2. type of terrain (eg. slope, uneven)

If possible, get a tripod that is taller than you. This will allow you to mount it on slopes with one leg extended more than the others. A taller tripod also allow you to NOT extend the legs fully. Some people say this will increase the stability of the tripod.

A Gitzo 1227 as suggested by tOGGY is a great way to start.

Good luck!

WideZoom said:
I'm about 17+ cm too. The best height for me would be camera viewfinder at my eye level without extending tripod centre column. So far only Feisol CT-3401 meet my requirement.

When comes to stability, Feisol CT-3301 three section tripod is better.

I agree with tOGGY. No one tripod will suite all shooting conditions, and budget conditions as well. But rule of the thumb, is to get a tripod that when is fully extended is about one head taller( for uneven terrain) and the functions are easy to use. No point wasting time to get in position and let your subject wait, or run away.

Also hor, when calculating height of tripod remember not to include center column. I do not know about the rest, but I never use the center column. IMO extending the CT will lower the stability. Just my 2 cents worth.

go for maximum height range.

Ideally, 180+cm. 'cos that's the max rated height which includes extension of the centre column., and when you tilt your camera to portrait position, you'd lose even more height.

Status
Not open for further replies.