whcich camera to buy

Rifles

Apr 16, 2012
hi i want to buy a camera i want to take shots of fish in tank and for other purpose too can you guys recommend me some good camera in under 300$

thank you

hi i want to buy a camera i want to take shots of fish in tank and for other purpose too can you guys recommend me some good camera in under 300$

thank you

You need camera with manual controls with macro and super macro mode.

For that budget, you should look for FujiFilm S2xxx/S3xxx series camera.

I recently saw one at Giant Sembawang shopping center selling for $299.

example
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=286447

Last edited:
You need camera with manual controls.

For that budget, you should look for FujiFilm S2xxx/S3xxx series camera.

I recently saw one at Giant Sembawang shopping center selling for $299.

Disagree. Any camera will do, but i recommend using a bright light from the top instead of a flash.

You can get reasonably decent shots with a simple point and shoot camera, once there is sufficient light.

I know because I have friends who deal with Arowana (龙鱼) and this is what they do.

The difficulty is when there is something special that you wish to show - a unique color or tint. That is when you really need to understand light.

It is better to buy camera with manual controls.

I bought my 1st camera $199 and regret my purchase after I found that it cannot adjust ISO. aperture shutter speed.

I can only use the preset mode, which has many limitation.

You will regret your purchase and need to spent more money for another camera if you buy any camera, thinking it will satisfy your need.

If you are not an expert like the senior member here, who can achieve great result with simple point and shoot. I would suggest you save more money for an entry level DSLR.

Yutaka Go said:
If you are not an expert like the senior member here, who can achieve great result with simple point and shoot. I would suggest you save more money for an entry level DSLR.

Now that's a loaded statement.

Manual controls are always superior, if the TS understands the camera and light.

I'm under the assumption that TS:
- is on a budget
- wants to have some photos for either memory sake or for online posting reasons

Cameras with manual controls aren't terribly cheap, and I think TS will need to increase his budget.

A point and shoot is sufficient for memory's sake.

If the TS would like to take nice pictures to the sake of a sale, that is where he may wish to demonstrate certain qualities of the fish, by which you'd need more than either a point and shoot or dSLR. Crucial understanding of light and the fish is essential to pull that one off. You won't believe the hassle my friends go through to ensure that they get an accurate representation of the color of the fish, amongst others.

If the TS would like to take nice pictures to the sake of a sale, that is where he may wish to demonstrate certain qualities of the fish, by which you'd need more than either a point and shoot or dSLR. Crucial understanding of light and the fish is essential to pull that one off. You won't believe the hassle my friends go through to ensure that they get an accurate representation of the color of the fish, amongst others.

agree with this. i tried it when i first started on photography. even with an entry level dslr, its not easy.

if we're talking abt something large like arowana, flowerhorn or parrot fish, its easier. but try something small like guppies and its a big headache. they move around constantly, the colour details are very difficult to capture in full and many small details matters - body shape, claudal, dorsal, tail shape... and no, macro lens doesn't always help... at close range, DOF is rather shallow. if u step down, there's not enough light :sweat:

totally agree that a crucial understanding of light and fish is as important as choosing the right camera for the job - bearing in mind that bright lights will stress the fish - so have to be careful that we are not taking pix for the fish's obituary as well.

Last edited:
thank you all

but i'm looking for simple digital camera that can capture picture of fish clearly even if they are moving in aquarium and which has an option to turn off flash

thank you all

but i'm looking for simple digital camera that can capture picture of fish clearly even if they are moving in aquarium and which has an option to turn off flash

If your lighting is good enough, you will not need the flash, or else, your camera's shutter speed will not be fast enough to capture movement of the fish. So if you really want, you might need a camera that could allow you to have some manual control or unless your fish tank is very well lit.

thank you all

You must realize that with your budget of under $300. Your options are very limited.

You buy any Newspaper on weekend and you will see the good cameras are usually above $300.

The average or below average cameras are below $300 and the outdated models are usually less than $100 for 1st 5 or 10 customers.

so there is no camera in under 300$ that has an option to turn off flash?? :eek:

so there is no camera in under 300$ that has an option to turn off flash?? :eek:

with your budget, i go for Canon HS115... slightly more fund, HS220.

edit:
check at trustworthy camera shops.. maybe now, you can get HS220 below $300

Last edited:
ok now just please tell me from these which 1 to buy (and please tell the reason why):

Sony CyberShot DSC-W670
Sony Cybershot DSC-WX30
Sony Cybershot DSC-TX10
Canon IXUS 115HS
Canon IXUS 220 HS
Canon Power Shot A-3200 IS

thank you

read reviews on them.. go to the mall and handheld them.. see which one u like...

happy deciding..

ok now just please tell me from these which 1 to buy (and please tell the reason why):

Sony CyberShot DSC-W670
Sony Cybershot DSC-WX30
Sony Cybershot DSC-TX10
Canon IXUS 115HS
Canon IXUS 220 HS
Canon Power Shot A-3200 IS

thank you

Wah, so we should do all the research for you and read the reviews for you? How much will you pay us?

Is this also how you choose food/gf/wife? "Here's my list, tell me which 1 to pick"? Please learn to make your own decisions too...

Wah, so we should do all the research for you and read the reviews for you? How much will you pay us?

Is this also how you choose food/gf/wife? "Here's my list, tell me which 1 to pick"? Please learn to make your own decisions too...

was asking that you might know which 1 is better, lame but you are no help

was asking that you might know which 1 is better, lame but you are no help

At that price range, they are all quite similar. As for the one which is better/best of the bunch read the reviews.

Essentially you are just trying to avoid reading and researching and hoping someone can spoonfeed the answer. Sadly, what may be "best" for one persone may not be the "best" for you and your purpose. Which is why you need to do the research on your own first, it can help you understand which camera may be a better fit for *you*.

Understand that I am not trying to be "no help", I am trying to make sure you get the camera YOU will be happy with for YOUR needs, and not just get one that someone else liked because they only used that and never tested/tried others. If someone says "eh, this one quite ok lah" and then you buy it, and it totally does not meet your expectations, who's to blame?

Last edited:
Rifles said:

thank you

My take is any cam will do. What is most impt is u must have good lighting exposure to the fishes. And to achieve this, u place the tank near to window, shift in a way it gets max sunlight exposure. If not enough, u may need to fix up studio lights to cover the other angles.

Why not u google on tips for fish photography??

In addition, dont forget that shooting through a fish tank will have reflections hor, coz of the glass. Any cam will be the same. The thing is that if you are using a DSLR, at least u can use a filter to remove the reflection. but with a P&S, there is nothing to help removing the reflections. And if you attempt to use the pop up flash, its going to be worse.

the way that i know is to place the lens on the glass, touching the glass and shoot. but it's going to restrict your shots. So u got to try different methods to get your result. There is no fixed baby formula, dude......