What's your monthly living expenses? And how to trim the expenses?

What's your monthly living expenses?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

f1to128

Feb 12, 2007
Was just reviewing my own finances around the time when the economy got really exciting :bsmilie:

One of the basic things financial planning books, blogs, websites, experts etc encourage anybody to do is to set aside three to six months of living expenses.

So that got me to review my monthly living expenses. I guess I am fortunate in that I don't have to pay mortgage, maintain a car, get a maid to look after kids, pay for childcare etc. (But in the near future I'd like to own a home)

Anyway, just curious about what are the living expenses of other clubsnappers?

You can just vote in the poll of course, for anonymity.

But do share some tips how you are cutting expenses in these times.

For myself I have cut down on dining out, refrain from buying on impulse, and downgraded my broadband subscription.

Last edited:
Please poll the expenses you incur individually - ie not combined household expenses.

Was just reviewing my own finances around the time when the economy got really exciting :bsmilie:

One of the basic things financial planning books, blogs, websites, experts etc encourage anybody to do is to set aside three to six months of living expenses.

So that got me to review my monthly living expenses. I guess I am fortunate in that I don't have to pay mortgage, maintain a car, get a maid to look after kids, pay for childcare etc. (But in the near future I'd like to own a home)

Anyway, just curious about what are the living expenses of other clubsnappers?

You can just vote in the poll of course, for anonymity.

But do share some tips how you are cutting expenses in these times.

For myself I have cut down on dining out, refrain from buying on impulse, and downgraded my broadband subscription.

My expenses are more on photoshoots. Of course we should always weigh before hiring a model.

You can still dine out, but stay around the hawker centres or food courts. Breakfast, for example, can be taken at home. Dinner can also be taken at home if you are not working late. Cut down or totally avoid snacks. Don't anyhow buy new gadgets from Sim Lim if you don't really need them. Cut down on movie. I think these will save you a lot of money.

1) now must think before buying, esp when the bill would come up to more than a few hundreds.

2) Restrict to 5 dollars a day for meals. No more fancy lunches and dinners.

sian.... some of us save... some of us waste.

what i've been doing to save up.. *but i spend on my gf, that one cannot stingy de*
crunchyroll instead of movies
gardenia rasin bread 2.80 can last me 3 days of breakfast, *if not is everyday breakfast 2 tau sa pao $1 only* i used to buy mac's $2 meal breakfast, total a month saved is around 20 bucks
calculate your SBS bus expenses, above 100? apply for seasonpass, 98 a month only, card starting is 3 bucks.. i save 30+ a month from that
skipped newspaper, go channelnewsasia.com, CNN.com, i save 27 bucks a month
lunch time stopped ordering kopi, go back office buy my own instant kopi packet make.. 80cent per cup and i have to drink at least 3 a day.. aga aga save 30
using callback card, save my handphone outgoing by abt 20 bucks
changed from my linksys modem/router thingy to USB powered modem, reduced my coolermaster's 5 cooling fans to low instead of high.. difference in chip temperature only 10 degrees..
lunch time limit myself to 4 bucks instead of 5, another 30

saved abt 200 that way.. but now that i got gf.. you know where those savings go to la.. ;o)

what i've been doing to save up..
gardenia rasin bread 2.80 can last me 3 days of breakfast, *if not is everyday breakfast 2 tau sa pao $1 only* i used to buy mac's $2 meal breakfast, total a month saved is around 20 bucks

Buy FairPrice Wholemeal bread (420g+80g for less than $2, you saved another 80 cents.

calculate your SBS bus expenses, above 100? apply for seasonpass, 98 a month only, card starting is 3 bucks.. i save 30+ a month

You saved almost $960 a year assuming you spent about $80 on SBS bus expenses by going to work on a bicycle. Just get a low-end market bike for around $250 or less for regular commuting to the office and back.

skipped newspaper, go channelnewsasia.com, CNN.com, i save 27 bucks a month.

If you want to further save on electricity, get a Sony walkman to listen to the news and BBC. The Sony radio costs less than $40.

lunch time stopped ordering kopi, go back office buy my own instant kopi packet make.. 80cent per cup and i have to drink at least 3 a day.. aga aga save 30

Drink Chinese tea instead of 3-in-1 coffee. A packet of Liu Pao Tea cost about $9 and it last you more than a month drinking six to seven cups a day.

For further saving, switch off all air-cons if you are using them, get a table fan.

For bath, don't use the heater, just use cold water from the shower instead.

Would like to know if there is any other ways of saving on our daily expenses.

getting money from SAF by going Silver....Gold is too far currently.

Buy FairPrice Wholemeal bread (420g+80g for less than $2, you saved another 80 cents.
you eat plain for 1 year like me u'll go crazy -_-

You saved almost $960 a year assuming you spent about $80 on SBS bus expenses by going to work on a bicycle. Just get a low-end market bike for around $250 or less for regular commuting to the office and back.
siao ah.. i cycle by the time reach office die le.. full suit all sweat =.=

If you want to further save on electricity, get a Sony walkman to listen to the news and BBC. The Sony radio costs less than $40.
get a refurbish zen plus from creative at 45 bucks and charge in office :p

Drink Chinese tea instead of 3-in-1 coffee. A packet of Liu Pao Tea cost about $9 and it last you more than a month drinking six to seven cups a day.
drink plain water, kope water back from your office if possible, 1 litre a day can le

For further saving, switch off all air-cons if you are using them, get a table fan.
given the weather nowadays, dont need la, just open all the windows

For bath, don't use the heater, just use cold water from the shower instead.

agreed

Would like to know if there is any other ways of saving on our daily expenses.

I'm down to my bare basic of expenses.

1. As I work from home I only have a pair of old jeans which I wear when I go to town and hang it up behind the door after use. I hardly go out so I only need to wash it once every 4-5 months.

2. I only shoot the neighbourhood aunties to cut down model fees. The aunties often express their appreciation by giving me a bowl of red bean or a plate of fried Mee Hon that save me some money on food.

3. For exercise I go out for long walks as fresh air and sunshine are free and non-taxable in this country.

4. As I like to work till 3am so I wake up late and able to combine breakfast and lunch into one.

5. To save gas and electricity I try to eat vegetables and meat raw. And I have been noticing that my teetch and nails are getting longer and sharper and there are hairs growing out of my face:

werewolf%20fangs%2010035.jpg

Last edited:
I use this
iphone-hand-charger.jpg
to power up my ipod touch and run on threadmill to create extra electricity in the house. Give it a try.

I'm down to my bare basic of expenses.

1. As I work from home I only have a pair of old jeans which I wear when I go to town and hang it up behind the door after use. I hardly go out so I only need to wash it once every 4-5 months.

2. I only shoot the neighbourhood aunties to cut down model fees. The aunties often express their appreciation by giving me a bowl of red bean or a plate of fried Mee Hon that save me some money on food.

3. For exercise I go out for long walks as fresh air and sunshine are free and non-taxable in this country.

4. As I like to work till 3am so I wake up late and able to combine breakfast and lunch into one.

5. To save gas and electricity I try to eat vegetables and meat raw. And I have been noticing that my teetch and nails are getting longer and sharper and there are hairs growing out of my face:

werewolf%20fangs%2010035.jpg

OMG. We have got a monster in the forum!!!

Here's a toilet in Japan with a bike. Ride the bike to operate a composting machine - turns waste into fertiliser.

But I don't think the persons living in my house will agree to installing such a device :devil:

Off my head:

House Installment ~1000
Car installment + maintenance ~1200
Parent ~500
Utility ~200
Town council and property taxes ~100
Personal Taxes ~300
Telecommunication + SCV ~200
Food ~1000
Insurances ~800
Investments ~1000
Entertainment ~200

~Total $6500

Never realized it's this high....really need to cut down on the big ticket :sweat: Damn...I need to get a job quick :p

For me, to cut expenses, I visualise where in the future the item I'm buying is going to be — in the rubbish bin.

Simple as that.

Off my head:

House Installment ~1000
Parent ~500
Utility ~200
Personal Taxes ~300
Food ~1000
Insurances ~800
Investments ~1000
Entertainment ~200

~Total $6500

Never realized it's this high....really need to cut down on the big ticket :sweat: Damn...I need to get a job quick :p

I believe you are not paying al the bills alone right? ;)

Off my head:

House Installment ~1000
Parent ~500
Utility ~200
Personal Taxes ~300
Food ~1000
Insurances ~800
Investments ~1000
Entertainment ~200

~Total $6500

Wah. Your utility quite low leh. My mum can pay as high as $400 per month though we seldom on aircon.

Status
Not open for further replies.