What's your hit to miss ratio?


Status
Not open for further replies.
#1
Quite frustated as days when only 5 out of 100 of my photos turned out right. By "right", I mean everything from composition, sharpness, color, exposures etc. I am still a newbie in the world of photography, but still it would be "encouraging" to know how others fare. Be it newbie, amateur, professional, candid shooter etc, please indicate here your typical hit to miss ratio and how you go about improving it (be more specific than 'just keep shooting').

When it comes to composing your shots, do you click the shutter on impulse or after considering many technical (lighting, aperture, shutter speed etc) and artistic aspects (composition, framing etc)?
 

Robin

Senior Member
Mar 5, 2004
645
0
16
Tanah Merah
#2
Well......probably 5 out of 50 will be good......

Guess depending on the type of photos you are taking......normally when i take landscape shots or other static shots......the hit rate will be higher as I take more time to adjust the settings and composition.....but when it comes to street shoots or faster moving shoots like people and weddings.....the hit rate will get lower as there is less time to consider too much on settings....

;)
 

justarius

Senior Member
Nov 9, 2003
1,226
0
36
Northeast
Visit site
#3
Depends on what type of shooting I was doing. If it's purely photographic, then I tend to take the time to think about composition, worry about depth of field, worry about shutter speed, think about exposure, etc. Working like this, I would keep about a third of a roll of 36 (considering that I would bracket and take a few pictures of the subject at similiar angles. If it includes snapshot recording memories type pictures (while on a trip somewhere for example), the ratio would be much lower.

ps yes yes I'm aware of the inherent contradiction in purely photographic type shooting vs purely non photographic type shooting vs hybrid photography type shooting, but hopefully you know what I mean...
 

clive

Senior Member
Oct 9, 2002
2,537
0
0
Visit site
#4
hit : miss

=

24 : 12


on a typical event covering day =)
 

sriram

New Member
Mar 10, 2002
1,253
0
0
#5
Well, I shoot film so every shot costs me money. I use this as an incentive to make every shot good, in terms of exposure, composition, subject matter etc. Some times when I shoot slide film I bracket a bit so there is a little wastage. I find that shooting this way (and shooting film) has helped a lot in improving my photography compared to shooting digital... I just didn't bother since each shot was free.
 

Richard

Senior Member
Jan 16, 2002
522
0
16
#6
crazypaladin said:
Quite frustated as days when only 5 out of 100 of my photos turned out right. By "right", I mean everything from composition, sharpness, color, exposures etc. I am still a newbie in the world of photography, but still it would be "encouraging" to know how others fare. Be it newbie, amateur, professional, candid shooter etc, please indicate here your typical hit to miss ratio and how you go about improving it (be more specific than 'just keep shooting').

When it comes to composing your shots, do you click the shutter on impulse or after considering many technical (lighting, aperture, shutter speed etc) and artistic aspects (composition, framing etc)?
Well, this is how it normally turns out for me.

On getting back: 10-12 out of 36
One month later, 5 out of the 10
Six months later, 1 out of the 5 left
12 months later, I generally chuck the last out as well.

I don't think I've actually shot something that I really liked or something that's really outstanding after a year on re-editing.
 

chongkm

Senior Member
Dec 6, 2002
522
0
16
West
#7
depends on e camera ur usin too. last time use 5700 n d60, ratio was quite bad... due to the AF... after change to E-1, much better! :p
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#9
Actually, I've dumped all those I shot thus far, nothing worth keeping, guess I'm bad huh? ;)

Hit : miss
0 : 10000
 

Kliky

New Member
Apr 5, 2004
23
0
0
#10
:complain: rolls after rolls... no :thumbsd: keepers... :flush:
first reaction: :cry: :bheart: :faint:
then on relooking... :ipuke:
:hammer: :mad2:

the amount of $$$ :flush:

I deserve to :hung:
 

Minoxman

Deregistered
Feb 27, 2004
390
0
0
#11
Really depends on how you look at it and what are your required standards for acceptability. You can jolly well keep all 36 shots a roll and label them "good" if you want.
I don't see how other's hit rate has got to do with anyone else's.
 

#12
Minoxman said:
Really depends on how you look at it and what are your required standards for acceptability. You can jolly well keep all 36 shots a roll and label them "good" if you want.
I don't see how other's hit rate has got to do with anyone else's.
That's where you are wrong. Aren't you interested in how other's shots fare vs yours? Don't you ever question deep within yourself whether your hit:miss ratio is typical like the rest. Of course, you can argue that out of all of us here, some might label all his shots as good, then this person's answer really has no meaning to you, me or all others already. ;p
 

clive

Senior Member
Oct 9, 2002
2,537
0
0
Visit site
#13
aiya..actually this kind of performance ratio indicator thing fluctuates with time one...so...just keep those shots u like.
after all, ur taste changes with time =)
 

stroma

New Member
Feb 20, 2004
131
0
0
58
England
#14
It changes over time. When I started it was about 2 in 36, got worse and then improved to about 3 in 36. My next batch of three films (just put in for development) will all be absolutely perfect (eternal optimism)... well that is until I open the packet. :embrass: One day I might attain the heady heights of mediocrity. :confused: :think:
 

Minoxman

Deregistered
Feb 27, 2004
390
0
0
#15
crazypaladin said:
That's where you are wrong. Aren't you interested in how other's shots fare vs yours? Don't you ever question deep within yourself whether your hit:miss ratio is typical like the rest. Of course, you can argue that out of all of us here, some might label all his shots as good, then this person's answer really has no meaning to you, me or all others already. ;p
No I will never be interested in anyone's hit/miss rate. Everyone shoot differently and appraise their own work differently.
You just answered your own question in your last paragraph by the way.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom