What's your fave lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Feb 20, 2002
Perth Australia
What is YOUR favourite Nikkor lens that you own and why?

Owned Nikkor AFD 60 f2.8 micro.

This lens is sharp, the sharpest lens I have tried. 1:1 macro is good, meaning that I can shoot most subject from ant to portrait of girl to fill the frame. Light. Manual focus feel is perfect, best I have tried in AF lenses. 60mm is good as I can shoot 1/60s but still get sharp photos, compare to 105micro lens, I have to maintain my shutter speed at 1/125s to get similar sharpness. I like to use this lens for portrait, to have closer distance to the subject. Some find this con..for me it's a pro. This lens is affordable...105micro is twice the price. I sold it...regret...will get it again in future.

This lens is also perfect for duplicating negative from a print. Perfect for copying work.

For me it is the 105/2.8 micro. Good for macro with life size image, good for portraiture, and the images it produces are sharp and contrasty.

The Nikkor AF 20mm f2.8D and AF 80-200mm f.28D ED. One covers my wide angle needs, very sharp and very little distortion, the other covers most of my telephoto needs.

Of course, in between I have the AF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5D, not-so-sharp wide open as expected, and the 50mm f1.8 which I use for low light or when I don't want to carry a lot of lenses.

Regards
CK

Nikkor 80-200mm f4.5 manual focus.

Bought it 11 years ago at S$650, second hand.

Had been using it for portraits. Never really compared it with the latest lenses, but I am quite happy with it. Since I bought CP995 last Jun, all my SLR gear has been neglected. Must take them out for a spin some time.

For me it would have to be the 35mm

I have the Manual Focus Nikkor AIS 35mm f1.4. Its heavy for a 35mm, boasts a fast aperture of f1.4 but still maintains a 52mm filter thread.

It best represents my "normal" viewpoint, Its sharp from 2.8-5.6 and the out-of-focus rendintion is quite nice. If push came to shove and I had to sell most of my stuff, I'd sell the rest and keep the 35mm.

When I was shooting Nikon before changing system my fav lens was the AI-S 105/2.5. I love this lens. It is one of the finest lens made by Nikon IMHO. By far the best portrait lens Ive ever used.

Since I started this thread I'd better reply ;)

I actually don't have a favourite lens .. rather I have several :)

Nikkor 300/2
Micro Nikkor 55/3.5 NAI
Nikkor 17-35 AFS
Nikkor 80-200/2.8 (any version)

me, my 28-70 tokina.... most useful range, but that is when I use my SLR, I guess my favourite would the bs f2 35mm that is stuck on my Hexar :p

AF 24mm F2.8D and AF 50mm F1.8
The only lens I have other than a superzoom and serves most of my travel photography needs.

Though still lacking a good portrait/macro lens...

Originally posted by Sin
The only lens I have other than a superzoom and serves most of my travel photography needs.

Though still lacking a good portrait/macro lens...

Get a set of extension tubes. $80 or so only.

Regards
CK

Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI

Like Ian, I don't have a single favorite, but 3:

1. Nikkor 105f/2DC - perfect for kid's portraits and usable as a macro with some extension tubes
2. Nikkor 300f/4 AFS - great for nature
3. Nikkor 80-200f/2.8 (any version) - was my most used lens until the 300f/4 came along

and not forgetting the Nikkor TC14EII that goes so very well with the 80-200f/2.8 and 300f/4.

17-35 F2.8 ED
Sharp, FAST. No complains.

A few good ones.

Nikon 20mm f2.8 Ais
Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF, lowest price but very high on quality
Nikon 105 f2.5 Ais
Nikon 105mm f4 micro lens
Nikon 180mm f2.8

Originally posted by Sin
hey Sin you have the exact same lens as me!!! hahaha what did they say about great minds? :p

my other lens is a Tamron 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 for travel needs. my first lens actually. i'm eyeing the nikkor 80-200 f2.8 next... *drool* :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.