What's your digital workflow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raid

Aug 25, 2003
Choa Chu Kang
Hi,

Anyone out there got any "standard" workflow that you would use after downloading the images from the camera?

I want to find out what kind of workflow others are using and maybe learn / adopt them.

I'm currently using a Nikon D70. When I shoot RAW, I convert do a batch convert to TIFF and edit the photos from there using photoshop. If the WB needs correction, I'll return to make the necessary adjustments using the Nikon Editor and convert to TIFF again.

Once in photoshop, the first thing I do is check the levels and see if I can boost the highlights and shadows. I then tweak around with the curves... Lastly I perform an USM.

Anyone see any flaw with this? And/Or have anything to comment/suggest? :dunno: :)

Regards

keep the files unsharpened and in .psd format until you have specific applications for each file e.g. for screen use, then you do the unsharpening and converting to size/.jpeg... for printing, sharpening, any further colour adjustments. If sharing in tiff, then convert to tiff.

again, you don't have to open/convert ALL RAW files, just the ones you have selected. The rest you can just leave in RAW for storage.

Just my 2-cents worth.

raid said:
Hi,

Anyone out there got any "standard" workflow that you would use after downloading the images from the camera?

I want to find out what kind of workflow others are using and maybe learn / adopt them.

I'm currently using a Nikon D70. When I shoot RAW, I convert do a batch convert to TIFF and edit the photos from there using photoshop. If the WB needs correction, I'll return to make the necessary adjustments using the Nikon Editor and convert to TIFF again.

Once in photoshop, the first thing I do is check the levels and see if I can boost the highlights and shadows. I then tweak around with the curves... Lastly I perform an USM.

Anyone see any flaw with this? And/Or have anything to comment/suggest? :dunno: :)

Regards

Hi there,

Just to share my workflow:

Shoot pictures in RAW. I'm using a nikon d2h.

1. I do a review using the camera's lcd and use the protect feature on those images i think are good.
a) Download into PC, using Nikon View i review the images again and choose the ones i like. I can also just select the "protected" RAW files and place them in a folder.
b) I open Nikon Capture 4 :
c) Using the RAW controls, i remove the in-camera sharpening ( which is usually medium high)
d) save as JPEG, "excellent" quality. For highest quality prints, i save as TIFF ( as its uncompressed )
e) I edit the photos using Photoshop. Creating "layers" as i edit levels, saturation,sharpness,etc. I flatten the image once i am done. If i need to leave the edit to another day, i save as PSD file.
f) Last thing i do is sharpen. I find that depending on how good your graphics card and monitor is, i can get away with using USM at a setting of 400, radius 0.3,level 0.
g) If im not satisfied with the WB i can just repeat the steps to correct the WB using the RAW files.

ARCHIVING

I will always burn 100% of the RAW files i shot,right after download to PC.( 1 x CD-R of RAW files only)
After editing the images i want, i will burn this to CD-R again ( CD-R of edited final images)

If i need to send for printing to the shops, i use a CD-RW and burn those images i want then send to the store. This way, in case it gets lost or stolen i still have copies.

Hope this can be useful.

cheers!

dios v

Status
Not open for further replies.