Whats ur Fav Cooking Knife brand?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholas1986

Feb 22, 2002
singapore
Visit site
well just thing of buying a knife but then dunno what brand to buy so post this to ask you all loh

But i want to buy a knife this friday so i was thinking if i should get the ZWILLING J.A. HENCKELS AG (professional 'S', five star, four star) any suggestion?? budget <$110

Zwilling is a good brand - all my knives and kitchen scissors are Zwillings (except the chopper which is like those you see in the market type)

Very sharp, does not corrode, nice balance and ergonomics.

Am i a knive freak? Well, everytime my wife goes to the household dept of Metro/Robinsons/Tangs, you know where I will be ;)

Goodness Darren, you're worse than my dad.. and you're half his age!

Originally posted by YSLee
Goodness Darren, you're worse than my dad.. and you're half his age!

and i bet i have half his hair too ..... kekekekekeke.

It's good to invest in a good kitchen knife. It lasts a lifetime.

I have used a few brands.
Victorinox, Zwillings/Henckels, WMF....
WMF is more geared towards styling and design, Victorinox and Henckels are about as good, but Henckels has the option of a very solid non slip handle, so however oily and slippery the cooking and cutting can get, you can be sure your grip on the knife is firm. THe Henckels I have at home is more than 10 years old, as sharp as ever. take care of your knives.

The victorinox i have at home is older than the Henckel but not as often used as it's awefully long. Both are normal chef knives, just at different lengths and configurations. My henckel is shorter and has a less pliable blade, victorinox is more pliable in that sense, being longer. flexibility being good for skinning and slicing fish.

me going to get the FIVE STAR - Chef's knife 8" from me auntie cos she can get it much cheaper

sharpening your knives regularly maintains the blade. don't wait till the blade is more blunt before you sharpen it. you end up shaving away more metal with the stone. sharpening rods are not as good. a good sharpening stone with two surfaces work well, start off with the coarse side first, grind the knife lengthwise at five degrees or so on both sides, then do the same on the fine side at eight degrees with the coarse surface. after which you will do eight degrees lengthwise on both sides on the finer surface. that way you get a very good cutting edge. Always grind with water!

Originally posted by Scriabinesque
sharpening your knives regularly maintains the blade. don't wait till the blade is more blunt before you sharpen it. you end up shaving away more metal with the stone. sharpening rods are not as good. a good sharpening stone with two surfaces work well, start off with the coarse side first, grind the knife lengthwise at five degrees or so on both sides, then do the same on the fine side at eight degrees with the coarse surface. after which you will do eight degrees lengthwise on both sides on the finer surface. that way you get a very good cutting edge. Always grind with water!

i got the twin sharp from henckels

Originally posted by Scriabinesque
that's fantastic!! how many years have you used it?

6 months
very good sharpener even those cheapo knife also can sharp until very sharp
but then it really eats the knife

Buck's knife anyone?

;p

Originally posted by nicholas1986

what kind of brand is that

They make pretty good knives. Pretty well known in the States, but seldom seen in Singapore.

Not too sure if they have kitchen knives but they have camping knives of very high quality.

Originally posted by JerChan

They make pretty good knives. Pretty well known in the States, but seldom seen in Singapore.

Not too sure if they have kitchen knives but they have camping knives of very high quality.

ois:eek: :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.