whats wrong?

naheuy

Apr 30, 2010
Seagull
www.facebook.com
hi people, need your advice on this, havent had plenty of chances to do photoshoots :sweat:

i tried to meter the whole scene such that the background wasnt clipped off, but in the end i got this:

5341997079_bb30ce139c_z.jpg

5342012933_69d76b8fbb_z.jpg

the models either ended up having shadow clipping instead, or the entire image had the 'hazy feeling'. :dunno:
what would a better remedy be for such a situation, e.g. flash or simply repositioning the models ? it was about 3pm on an bright cloudy day (last sunday)

thanks in advance!

taken with a230/minolta AF 28-85mm

It looks like a case of the ambient lighting being too strong. Because of the cloudy skies, the light is also rather flat.

Stopping down and using flash to help illuminate your subjects might help.

what would a better remedy be for such a situation, e.g. flash or simply repositioning the models ?

Either way would be fine but I would prefer the use of reflectors instead. There is nothing wrong in repositioning the subjects as long as you think you can get a decent background. Fill flash is another alternative to consider.

stop down aperture to capture details in the bg and strobe the models to lit em up well brudda

using a flash and reflector would help, alternatively spot metering will do too.. but that will blown your background...

hi all, thanks for your advices, ill play around with those options next time around!

i wasnt using a UV filter though, there has been this big hoohaa on whether a UV filter will minimize that blue-ish and hazy look. so... will it?;)

tho is cloudy day, it is still in a back light situation,
so if you would to meter your subject's face, the sky will be blown,

and second shot is flare.

so is the sky very important here?

a very simply solution is find a place that the light looks good on your subject, exclude the unwanted areas or areas will give you problem.

a very simply solution is find a place that the light looks good on your subject, exclude the unwanted areas or areas will give you problem.

second this. problem i find with sg is the sky... if its cloudy, it turns white. too white.

if its slightly clear u shld get this
37190_470008033584_786218584_5723371_2680827_n.jpg

even then, u still need to add light to subject with a fill flash. i used one to get this shot:)

take note of my clouds, at the right, and see how it is blown, jsut because it is thicker in coverage there compared to left:) u can tell how severe the effects are

Last edited:
uv filter? I dont think it does anything at all but diminish image quality because of the extra glass.

ahh i thought along that line as well, havent done much of this so i have much to learn :)

second this. problem i find with sg is the sky... if its cloudy, it turns white. too white.

if its slightly clear u shld get this
IMG
even then, u still need to add light to subject with a fill flash. i used one to get this shot:)

take note of my clouds, at the right, and see how it is blown, jsut because it is thicker in coverage there compared to left:) u can tell how severe the effects are

thanks for sharing bro allen, just asking a little further, was the flash off body or mounted in this case? the kite (??) didnt get blown out so must have been a lil tricky eh?