What's wrong with this picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deTour

Feb 17, 2006
Serangoon
Temple8.jpg

Please tell me what's wrong with this picture? I'm using 350D with kit lens. Setting F8, speed 100 with cicular polarizer. Some PS (cropping, level, color and unsharp mask). However I still find the photo not as good compared to the old birds in CS. Is it becasue of my skill (which I'm sure there's much room for improvement) or that's the limit of the kit lens? :confused:

Hi deTour, can't really comment much on the technicalities of the pic (e.g. sharpness, details level) because it has been resized to such a small size. But if I just based on this pic, seems like quite an amt of details have been lost and it appears more like a pic taken from a prosumer rather than a dSLR. Not sure if it's due to the pp or from the camera...

Posting a bigger pic, and preferrably, pre-processed would be great. :)

i think the sky needs to have more clouds or something. it is like lacking something.

wanzw said:
i think the sky needs to have more clouds or something. it is like lacking something.

No, i think the subject is ok but it lacks mood. You could have placed yourself perpendicular to the line of old shophouses, zoom into the windows and take it like a postcard thingy.

Black and white would be good here. If there's a oldman mending shoes or something it would even be better to bring out the nostalgic feeling.

There appears to be no clear subject in the photo. While I am sure you are photographing the old houses, the orange vending machine (?) in the bottom left and the temple-like structure near the top right is a distraction and contributes to clutter. A lot of the other details are a little too small to be appreciated. Plus, the sky is quite plain because of the lack of clouds and its colour, and turning this photo to B&W may further accentuate this problem, although it may add to the mood of the houses themselves.

When faced with something like this, try focusing on just one or two houses. Eliminate clutter and a bland sky from your photo as far as possible. Or instead of photographing the entire house, why not look for small cameos or snippets such as the windows, the 'driveway', gate, pillars, ornaments etc?

Compression is way too high, and colors oversaturated.

You could eliminate a bit of the left side of the pic for better composition, but the pic is a bit too small to reveal technical details..

my newbie sense tells me that you could have moved a few steps back. the composition looks better with me if you can include pavement as well. (yours seems to be cropped on the left side). as for polariser, i don see it effect, so you might as well take it off

like what Terence say, its a little over saturated(the red house is taking all the focus)

Other than the factors (such as angle, composition etc.) mentioned by others, an often forgotten but extremely important thing to note is the light condition of the scene.

Often, the time of the day and the weather make or break the photo.

Shots taken at the "right" time of the day and under the "right" weather can bring out the essence of the picture because light condition affects the contrast between different things in the picture and their colours and saturation.

The picture above might have been taken at the "wrong" time under the "wrong" weather condition to have the appearance of the picture you have in mind.

Clockunder said:
Other than the factors (such as angle, composition etc.) mentioned by others, an often forgotten but extremely important thing to note is the light condition of the scene.

Often, the time of the day and the weather make or break the photo.

Shots taken at the "right" time of the day and under the "right" weather can bring out the essence of the picture because light condition affects the contrast between different things in the picture and their colours and saturation.

The picture above might have been taken at the "wrong" time under the "wrong" weather condition to have the appearance of the picture you have in mind.

I agree with Clockunder and Fword about the time of day and the lack of focus. My first impression when i look at the photo is... "Ok... now... what am I looking at. I see some house....a vending machine... etc"

What Is the picture about? Oftentimes I find that photographers try to squeeze everything in one picture. The eye is like the camera. It only has one point of focus (Perhaps i am wrong in this assumption). Hence we have to guide the eye of the viewer to what we want them to see. It is NOT objective. Photography, like all art, is subjective. Subject to the photographer's interpretation of what lies before us. Our job is then to present what WE see, not what the scene is to the viewer. If the viewer picks up something else.... sweet. That'll be interesting. But the worse thing to happen is when the viewer goes... erm.... ok.. what am I supposed to look our for.

Then again, the flip side to this is when we create art, we want the viewer to 'work' a little. That deals with context already. But there still has to be something there.

Ergo, aesthetically speaking, perhaps less can be more. It might just be a case of changing your position to a more frontal or lower perspective.Perhaps front on would be good as fword had suggested.

Personally, i'd just avoid all the clutter in the bottom and focus on the nice colors of the buildings. The colors are striking, yet designs somewhat uniform. Its a nice study of conservation and modernity.

Oh well.. I've spoken too much me thinks. Just some nuggests to chew on. My fingers are tired now.

like the rest have said, this composition is too cluttered. may be you can break them up into smaller pieces

1) vending m/c and the 1st old house.

2) red house and the house to its neighbour but dont include the vending m/c. i will most likely exclude the roof too.

3) the roof.

4) the top orange color windows of the red house.

Status
Not open for further replies.