What's wrong with my Sunset Picture at Sentosa Siloso Beach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clockunder

Apr 12, 2005
Camera : Nikon Coolpix 5700
Time : Sunset at around 7.05pm

I feel that something is not right about my picture below but I don't know what's wrong.

Please advise and suggest ways to improve.

Thanks in advance.

dscn0024c800frame4xd.jpg

nice colours,might be because the sun is behind the cloud.:)

your human subjects are too close to the edge

interesting WB ... flourescent? quite nice actually

eikin said:

Yes, it's Flourescent WB.

I like to shoot with Flourescent WB most of the time during the day and, as I was shooting around the Siloso beach last Saturday evening, I heard someone shouted that the Sun was very nice and I turned my head and saw him running towards to another side to take a better view. I looked towards the Sun and, through the tress and tower structures on the small island across the bridge, I saw it was very bright red just hanging near the edge of the horizon. However, by the time I ran to an unblocked location 50m away, the sun had already almost gone below the horizon.

I managed to take a few shots with different proportions between land, see and sky. For some of the shots, I had 1/3 sky and 1/3 sea and 1/3 beach. However, I like this one because of the postures of the guys sitting at the edge of the beach and looking into the sunset although it isn't following the rule of thirds.

By the time I had a better composition between beach, sea and sky, the guys were already playing around with the water and running around.

eikin said:

Would this be better?

dscn0026b800frame5rg.jpg

Clockunder said:
Yes, it's Flourescent WB.

I like to shoot with Flourescent WB most of the time during the day and, as I was shooting around the Siloso beach last Saturday evening, I heard someone shouted that the Sun was very nice and I turned my head and saw him running towards to another side to take a better view. I looked towards the Sun and, through the tress and tower structures on the small island across the bridge, I saw it was very bright red just hanging near the edge of the horizon. However, by the time I ran to an unblocked location 50m away, the sun had already almost gone below the horizon.

I managed to take a few shots with different proportions between land, see and sky. For some of the shots, I had 1/3 sky and 1/3 sea and 1/3 beach. However, I like this one because of the postures of the guys sitting at the edge of the beach and looking into the sunset although it isn't following the rule of thirds.

putting the horizon at the centre isn't exactly new also, there's no need to shoot with a rule in mind all the time :)

Clockunder said:
By the time I had a better composition between beach, sea and sky, the guys were already playing around with the water and running around.

might just make an interesting picture, you'll never know

Clockunder said:
Would this be better?

dscn0026b800frame5rg.jpg

no, this is much worse actually.

i think there's some misconception with the rule of thirds here. a picture can be divided into thirds not just by visible lines, the lines may be implied as well.

if you see the original picture the picture is divided into 3 thirds, the top a space with clouds, the centre third with the sun in the middle and the bottom third with the human subjects along the edge of the water

eikin said:
putting the horizon at the centre isn't exactly new also, there's no need to shoot with a rule in mind all the time :)

might just make an interesting picture, you'll never know

My first instinct was to have the Sun in the centre as I was in a hurry and afraid that the Sun would be down very soon..

I suppose I should have moved to the right so that the guys are nearer to the centre instead of near the edge to the right. I didn't think enough when I shot as I just wanted to get it in before the Sun went down.

eikin said:
no, this is much worse actually.

i think there's some misconception with the rule of thirds here. a picture can be divided into thirds not just by visible lines, the lines may be implied as well.

if you see the original picture the picture is divided into 3 thirds, the top a space with clouds, the centre third with the sun in the middle and the bottom third with the human subjects along the edge of the water

Ok thanks. I get what you mean.

yeah. i agree with eikin. the people are a tad bit too close too the edge, and it's probably just the cloud or something mayb? hmmm...:think:

Clockunder said:
Ok thanks. I get what you mean.

no problem, here's an illustration of how the original image is in fact following the rule of thirds :)

dscn0024c800frame4xd2.jpg

tngying said:
yeah. i agree with eikin. the people are a tad bit too close too the edge, and it's probably just the cloud or something mayb? hmmm...:think:

Ok thanks. I was too immersed with the Sun and neglected the guys which could form an interesting subject. I didn't realise until after I shot and that's why I didn't do any cropping except correct a very slight tilt (0.5 degree) in the picture. But then I could sense something is not right somewhere but I couldn't pin point it.

Next time, I will most probably remember.

eikin said:
no problem, here's an illustration of how the original image is in fact following the rule of thirds :)

dscn0024c800frame4xd2.jpg

Thanks for the full illustration.

+evenstar said:
WB? Seems as though it's in Tungsten WB.

Oppps. I missed your comment earlier.

Do you mean it looks too red/orange (i.e. compensated for Flourescent by adding red and/or cutting down red/orange in the original colours) and the scene looks to be under Tungsten light?

+evenstar said:
WB? Seems as though it's in Tungsten WB.

Does it (picture below) looks more natural and better now?

I've removed the red/orange cast and blue over-saturation.

dscn0024d600frame7fm.jpg

Clockunder said:
Does it (picture below) looks more natural and better now?

I've removed the red/orange cast and blue over-saturation.

dscn0024d600frame7fm.jpg

it seem that this picture lost the mood of the original one...
it looks rather like a very normal sunset... waiting for time to goes by...

dont you think so?:dunno:

zhang3feng said:
it seem that this picture lost the mood of the original one...
it looks rather like a very normal sunset... waiting for time to goes by...

dont you think so?:dunno:

Yes, it looks like a normal sunset now because the colours are more natural (although not exactly 100% normal).

I suppose different colours convey different mood.

Some people prefer photographs to show colours as natural as possible while I prefer to look at photography as a form of painting with colour enhancement and that's why I usually shoot with compensation for flourescent light (having a red cast on the pictures).

I'm wondering what kind of WB compensation do people usually use when they shoot sunset.

Clockunder said:
Yes, it looks like a normal sunset now because the colours are more natural (although not exactly 100% normal).

Some people prefer photographs to show colours as natural as possible while I prefer to look at photography as a form of painting with colour enhancement and that's why I usually shoot with compensation for flourescent light (having a red cast on the pictures).

I'm wondering what kind of WB compensation do people usually use when they shoot sunset.

i agree with your concept on colours..:thumbsup: afterall photography is an art & art is always subjective...:think:

Clockunder said:

i would think that flourescent and cloudy WB are the most preferred :)

Status
Not open for further replies.