what's the widest lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ding Shan Ben

May 6, 2005
Hong Kong
saw in the forum there is 12mm, 10mm fisheye, is there a 5mm or 1mm lens?

As of today... the Sigma 12-24 is the widest non-fisheye lens (on 35mm film of course)
:thumbsup:

icarus said:
As of today... the Sigma 12-24 is the widest non-fisheye lens (on 35mm film of course)
:thumbsup:

so, there is no such thing as a 5mm lens?

Nikon made a 6mm/2.8.......but don't ask for the price, size, weight........you would faint!

HotSpots said:
Eh...I thot a lot of phone cameras are 4.8mm f/2.8... :what:
Like all in life and nature: everything is relative........

it al depends what format the lens should cover: a 4.8mm lens for your HP, won't cover the CCD/CMOS of your digicam, nor the 35mm film........

A 20mm lens for 35mm has the same field of coverage as a 60mm lens for the 4x5 filmsize........both lenses giving you the same image on the different filmsizes.

HS

well.. for me, the widest non-fisheyes i have seen is the sigma 12-24, nikkor and tokina 12-24 also....

the 8mm is a cir-fish-eye...

the 12-24 is whao lao !!!!

Nikkor has a 10.5 fisheye... heh.... tat one also can use for landscapes la. but then... u will need to test it out for urself.. but i have yet to test a 10.5 before... heard its a ulitimate poison...

glennyong said:
Nikkor has a 10.5 fisheye... heh.... tat one also can use for landscapes la. but then... u will need to test it out for urself.. but i have yet to test a 10.5 before... heard its a ulitimate poison...
Ha ha see this thread for the poison... ;) So why resist? :bsmilie:

The absolute widest lens ever produced:

Nikon Nikkor Fisheye 6mm f2.8 and 6mm f5.6. The 6mm f.2 weighs a petite 5.6kg and has a 220 degree field of view, that's right folks, it takes shots that lie behind the image plane. It can only be used on a couple of Nikon (eg F2) bodies due to the extension back in the camera and shutter well.

As for it's price, well I paid a significant 5 figure sum for mine some 20 years ago.

Ian said:
The absolute widest lens ever produced:

Nikon Nikkor Fisheye 6mm f2.8 and 6mm f5.6. The 6mm f.2 weighs a petite 5.6kg and has a 220 degree field of view, that's right folks, it takes shots that lie behind the image plane. It can only be used on a couple of Nikon (eg F2) bodies due to the extension back in the camera and shutter well.

As for it's price, well I paid a significant 5 figure sum for mine some 20 years ago.

any pics to show ?? would really be a eye opener for us ! 5.6 kg lens alone :bigeyes: ...

poohbear said:
any pics to show ?? would really be a eye opener for us ! 5.6 kg lens alone :bigeyes: ...

It's a conical block of metal with screw on metal caps for both front & rear.. Heh.. Handled my friend's 10mm OP Nikkor before.. Funky lense.. BUt also a very very expensive lense... Haha.. But it was focus-free.. Sharp from 0 to infinity.. Just set the aperture, frame the shot and fire the shutter...

However, the lense requires the body to have mirror lock-up function since the rear sticks into the chamber. An external viewfinder is provided for framing..

6mm.jpg

6mmB.jpg

2000mm.jpg

2000mmB.jpg

Above are the shortest and longest focal lengths commercial lenses made by Nikon. They also made some telescopes.......

HS

The Nikkor 10mm/5.6 OP-Fisheye is an interesting lens: ortographic projection of the image, subjects in the center are larger then on the edges.....it has an aspherical front element.

HS

hongsien said:
Above are the shortest and longest focal lengths commercial lenses made by Nikon. They also made some telescopes.......

HS

How about the 1200mm - 1700mm f5.6-8? Nikkor's longest non-reflex lense... Hehe...

Status
Not open for further replies.