what's the purpose of the "macro" switch on sigma 70-300mm lens ?


Status
Not open for further replies.

erictan8888

Senior Member
Nov 9, 2004
2,883
1
0
Singapore
#1
hi,

sorry for super newbie question:

referring to the sigma 70-300mm APO II lens:

what is the difference between shooting a subject with the macro switched on and switched off? (the macro can only be activated at the 200 to 300mm range)
i mean i tried to shoot bjects with and without the macro on... but can't spot the difference... pls enlighten (dun bombard)...

thanks
 

#2
erictan8888 said:
hi,

sorry for super newbie question:

referring to the sigma 70-300mm APO II lens:

what is the difference between shooting a subject with the macro switched on and switched off? (the macro can only be activated at the 200 to 300mm range)
i mean i tried to shoot bjects with and without the macro on... but can't spot the difference... pls enlighten (dun bombard)...

thanks
What kind of subjects did u try to take ? Did you try to go as close as u can to the subject with/without the macro switch ?
 

erictan8888

Senior Member
Nov 9, 2004
2,883
1
0
Singapore
#3
tried in the zoo.... take the face of giraffe....
with and without macro switched on....
my untrained eyes could not really tell the difference....

what should i be looking for ?
 

#4
erictan8888 said:
tried in the zoo.... take the face of giraffe....
with and without macro switched on....
my untrained eyes could not really tell the difference....

what should i be looking for ?
Macro mode for taking close up of subjects.. giraffe is far away from u.. try focus on a subject and move as close as u can to the subject until u cannot AF anymore on it.
 

jbma

Senior Member
Dec 28, 2003
3,287
0
0
Tampines
#5
Macro is for close-up shots. It is not meant to be used on a far away subject. You should do a search on macro photography on the internet and read about it first to understand the basics.
 

erictan8888

Senior Member
Nov 9, 2004
2,883
1
0
Singapore
#6
the macro can only be switched on for 200mm to 300mm range....
seems pretty far liao....
so what should i expect to observe that is different if the macro is switched off or on ?

hmm.... does it bring out the details more ? or does be give less DOF when i switched to macro ? ...... blur :confused:
 

#7
erictan8888 said:
the macro can only be switched on for 200mm to 300mm range....
seems pretty far liao....
so what should i expect to observe that is different if the macro is switched off or on ?

hmm.... does it bring out the details more ? or does be give less DOF when i switched to macro ? ...... blur :confused:
It does not do anything except allows u to focus closer to the subject at 200mm to 300mm range than without the macro mode, the lens extends out more during the macro mode. So when u want to do close up shoots, take on the macro mode and u can focus closer to the subject, otherwise turn it off, focusing will be faster without the macro mode on normal subject.
 

erictan8888

Senior Member
Nov 9, 2004
2,883
1
0
Singapore
#8
oh... get it now....
thanks majere2sg for your enlightening ans.....
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom