what's the purpose of the "macro" switch on sigma 70-300mm lens ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erictan8888

Nov 9, 2004
Singapore
hi,

sorry for super newbie question:

referring to the sigma 70-300mm APO II lens:

what is the difference between shooting a subject with the macro switched on and switched off? (the macro can only be activated at the 200 to 300mm range)
i mean i tried to shoot bjects with and without the macro on... but can't spot the difference... pls enlighten (dun bombard)...

thanks

erictan8888 said:
hi,

sorry for super newbie question:

referring to the sigma 70-300mm APO II lens:

what is the difference between shooting a subject with the macro switched on and switched off? (the macro can only be activated at the 200 to 300mm range)
i mean i tried to shoot bjects with and without the macro on... but can't spot the difference... pls enlighten (dun bombard)...

thanks
What kind of subjects did u try to take ? Did you try to go as close as u can to the subject with/without the macro switch ?

erictan8888

Nov 9, 2004
Singapore
tried in the zoo.... take the face of giraffe....
with and without macro switched on....
my untrained eyes could not really tell the difference....

what should i be looking for ?

erictan8888 said:
tried in the zoo.... take the face of giraffe....
with and without macro switched on....
my untrained eyes could not really tell the difference....

what should i be looking for ?
Macro mode for taking close up of subjects.. giraffe is far away from u.. try focus on a subject and move as close as u can to the subject until u cannot AF anymore on it.

jbma

Dec 28, 2003
Tampines
Macro is for close-up shots. It is not meant to be used on a far away subject. You should do a search on macro photography on the internet and read about it first to understand the basics.

erictan8888

Nov 9, 2004
Singapore
the macro can only be switched on for 200mm to 300mm range....
seems pretty far liao....
so what should i expect to observe that is different if the macro is switched off or on ?

hmm.... does it bring out the details more ? or does be give less DOF when i switched to macro ? ...... blur :confused:

erictan8888 said:
the macro can only be switched on for 200mm to 300mm range....
seems pretty far liao....
so what should i expect to observe that is different if the macro is switched off or on ?

hmm.... does it bring out the details more ? or does be give less DOF when i switched to macro ? ...... blur :confused:
It does not do anything except allows u to focus closer to the subject at 200mm to 300mm range than without the macro mode, the lens extends out more during the macro mode. So when u want to do close up shoots, take on the macro mode and u can focus closer to the subject, otherwise turn it off, focusing will be faster without the macro mode on normal subject.

erictan8888

Nov 9, 2004
Singapore
oh... get it now....
thanks majere2sg for your enlightening ans.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom