What's the problem(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey thanks =)

but let me give some examples ah...
1. the 1st pic (Lijiang)-the details of the house in the backgrd is washed out

2. IMG0012 and 16- i find them too dark but if i dont keep with that setting , my sky ends up like IMG0010 where the colours again are washed out

3. IMG0049-the colour of the sky again is salah.

:dunno:

for your first picture, the light values (LV) of the white building and of the darker foreground differ by a lot.. you have taken a meter reading off the foreground. perhaps you are using an evaluative meter on your consumer digicam... this exposes for the dark foreground and thus makes the highlights blow out... this is normal because camera media, especially digital, do not have the same exposure latitude that our eyes have... they only record well a range of LVs... your white house was outside of that range... thus it was blown out... but no problems with that picture

thanks, showtime! :D

Is there any way I can solve this problem? The same happened for many other shots.
BTW, for your info, I'm using Canon A80.

By both of your "no problems with that picture", do you all mean that the bit where the details are lost, is okay? It doesn't feel right to me... :think:

what i like about ya pics:

#1- Gives the mood of streets in china, people that walked past add to the reality.
#4- Yeah, its underexposed, i guess it was too bright then hence the metering was tricked? Try spot metering? Should help.
#8- Another street shot that depicts the lonliness in the street. Nice.
#10- I love this, the motion in the pic shows the dynamisim and vibrance of the kids.
#20- I think it'll be nice if u can get a close up of the granny and her grandson with the veges in the foregrd.
#21- Definitely under as the metering is tricked by the backgrd (bright sunlight outside.)
#24- Better if the man is not cropped?
#25&27- You might want to try this. Try standing nearer to the window and take shots of their face with natural light on their face. But my idea will be different from what you wanna portray. =P
#33- I like this, minus the dirt on the windscreen.
#34- I think her spects is cool. Haha..
#40- Try to use fill in flash in his face? =)
#55- nice! Lovely boy. close up of their expression is often priceless
#57- Love the silo of the tree. Nice
#58- I dunno what i like abt this but it feels nice.
#63- Beautiful landscape pic
#69- Find the portion without rhe shade and put to long shutter speed to create a smooth feel on the gushing water.
#72- Wow
#83- What u mean she's indecent?
#93/96- Great of you, up till now i've not try this kindof landscape reflection shot.
#95- I love ths flowers, grass and ray but not the flares. =P
#101- Love the colour.
#117- Hahaha...
#124- Nice.
#131- Very nice overview of the landscape.
#136- Very nice portrait.
#137- I love the colour tone of this. Looks almost like u photoshoped it. Haha..
#149- Nice colours
#160- I love the expression of the shorter boy. So strict, so fierce, full of character.
#181- Love this street shot as well

CONCLUSION:

Your pics doesnt seems as bad as u protrayed them to be, in fact, they are very good. Generally i feel that you're able to capture the mood of your trip and i feel like i've gone to china after going thru ya series.

Very nice. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

usherer said:
By both of your "no problems with that picture", do you all mean that the bit where the details are lost, is okay? It doesn't feel right to me... :think:

due to the position of your blown highlights,i dont think there is anyway ard it... try burning the highlights in photoshop... if its like a blown out sky, then you can use a ND grad filter...

Gosh! You are much too kind! First, you go thru every single pic in detail and comment on them. Second, u have so much nice things to say! Thanks alot man :cry: gan3 dong4!
(hahah!Maybe u wanna tell me what u DON'T like abt the pix)

ordinaryless said:
#4- Yeah, its underexposed, i guess it was too bright then hence the metering was tricked? Try spot metering? Should help.

Was also thinking if I focussed on another area then snap at that scene, would that help?

ordinaryless said:
#10- I love this, the motion in the pic shows the dynamisim and vibrance of the kids.
#20- I think it'll be nice if u can get a close up of the granny and her grandson with the veges in the foregrd.

you're right. Alot of times I had to shoot and run. Eg some pics of the Tibetans (coz some of them still believe that they shdn't take pix) or sometimes things just happen.How to frame on the spot? Gotta act fast , I guess.

ordinaryless said:
#24- Better if the man is not cropped?
#25&27- You might want to try this. Try standing nearer to the window and take shots of their face with natural light on their face. But my idea will be different from what you wanna portray. =P .

ahhh.. i think we have different ideas here on how/what to portray. The old man pic however-- note the details have disappeared again.

ordinaryless said:
##33- I like this, minus the dirt on the windscreen.

hahah!! Didn't you notice the flies all over the windscreen?? That was what caught my attention! (not the road) =)

ordinaryless said:
#34- I think her spects is cool. Haha..
Slipping down her nose!

ordinaryless said:
#40- Try to use fill in flash in his face? =)

this is another problem for me - i usually dont use flash coz I find the colours too flat after that. No mood. But then my pix will turn out dark. How??

ordinaryless said:
#55- nice! Lovely boy. close up of their expression is often priceless

Haiz..the problem of cropping/framing. It's a girl!!

ordinaryless said:
#69- Find the portion without rhe shade and put to long shutter speed to create a smooth feel on the gushing water.

Oh, I intended the sunlight to fall in that spot. Yea. Was trying the long shutter speed but I couldn't get the settings right. I really need practice.

ordinaryless said:
#83- What u mean she's indecent?
As in, she usually looks decently HUMAN not decent-indecent-obscene lah!!

ordinaryless said:
#93/96- Great of you, up till now i've not try this kindof landscape reflection shot.
HMMmmm.. coz S'pore doesn't have such scenery for you to practise on?? ;p

ordinaryless said:
#95- I love ths flowers, grass and ray but not the flares. =P
Eh, how to correct it ah?

ordinaryless said:
#137- I love the colour tone of this. Looks almost like u photoshoped it. Haha..
Oh no no. Didn't photoshop any of the pictures. (yet?)

ordinaryless said:
#160- I love the expression of the shorter boy. So strict, so fierce, full of character.
haha! true true. He was pretty shy. Couldn't dou4 him in any way.

ordinaryless said:
# CONCLUSION:

Your pics doesnt seems as bad as u protrayed them to be, in fact, they are very good. Generally i feel that you're able to capture the mood of your trip and i feel like i've gone to china after going thru ya series.

Very nice. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

:) thank you...

showtime said:
i have seen some of them...

ok here goes:

Ref: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/view?i=EeANWbhoxbNmzow&open=1&sm=1&sl=0

(pg 1)
1663 and 1690 are at the same place-Look at the sky!Though 1663 faces a smoky/misty background, the sky is still way too white. You get what I mean?

1700 - why is the pic so dull? Should I have added flash or is it the problem of the sun anyway?

1723 - gosh. The sky looks gross.

(pg 2)
guesthouse + peanut pond - these 2 pix were taken at the same time. Check out the atrocious lighting in the peanut pond. Argggghhh...

what's wrong with me??

Status
Not open for further replies.