What's the optimum size when you upload yr pics?

Puyu81

Jul 25, 2010
Hi guys,

Wanna ask a noob question, hope you guys can clarify.

What are the sizes of the pics that you upload online (whether flickr, clubsnap, facebook and so on)?

There's a balance between size (longer uploading time and more so for flickr limited account) and viewing pleasure so i thought if anyone out there knows the best size, maybe you can shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

Wanna ask a noob question, hope you guys can clarify.

What are the sizes of the pics that you upload online (whether flickr, clubsnap, facebook and so on)?

There's a balance between size (longer uploading time and more so for flickr limited account) and viewing pleasure so i thought if anyone out there knows the best size, maybe you can shed some light on this?

Thanks!
small enough to make it useless for other than viewing online, big enough to let other see in details.

for me, somewhere between 350 to 500 at the longer side, not larger than 80kb for web sharing.

My practice.
Upload to flickr. 1024 on the long side. Short side will depend on the aspect ratio of the image.
Hotlink to forum. 600 on the long side. and add link for viewers to view a larger image.

My suggestion.
If you want to hotlink into a forum post, 1024 seems to be the optimum without having to move the scroll bar. Just try upload some photos yourself and experiment to see which is the optimum size.

nice... Thanks guys! I realise I've been uploading the 5mb/pic on flickr and very fast reach the monthly limit lol!

Thx for clarifying bros!

nice... Thanks guys! I realise I've been uploading the 5mb/pic on flickr and very fast reach the monthly limit lol!

Thx for clarifying bros!
why you need to put full resolution images online? to let others steal your images conveniently?

Thx for clarifying bros!

the image size that I am upload are about 0.1mb (as a reference).

why you need to put full resolution images online? to let others steal your images conveniently?

Well i'm new to this sort of thing. :dunno: Thanks for sharing bros. You guys are helpful indeed!:thumbsup:

I usually keep my panorama for sharing not more than 1024, and my non panos not more than 900 on the longer end.

Reason is mainly like what coolthought mentioned, regarding need to scroll a little if it gets longer than 1024 ( thats assuming the usual monitor resolution now is 1024 on width or above )

Depending on compression settings, the jpg can still give rather large file sizes. Just play around with the settings and see what is the maximal give and take without much visible sacrifice on IQ for each photo. Smaller files for websharing loads faster, larger ones will be a little drag

Ryan