What's the most unfortunate accident you've had with your camera gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
No matter how careful we are, unwanted accidents do happen!

Just curious:

Anyone care to share his/her heart-stopping experience like dropping camera body, lens, etc etc? :bigeyes: :sweat:

I had a sigma 20mm f1.8 lens mounted on a KM D7D inside a burlingham hadley pro bag, slung across my shoulder. The bag strap slipped from my shoulder so the bag fell from waist height to the concrete floor. It is such a small drop that I did not think anything of it. The next morning I see the sigma 20mm f1.8 lens body cracked right in the middle .....

Dunno if it is because the camera bag has lousy padding or the sigma lens is REALLY fragile....

That's about it. Other than that, nothing ever happens to my camera gear.

My eos 5 exploded after taking a shot of Chuck Norris... it's pretty fortunate considering it could have been my head.

Mine dropped one storey to solid concrete!

my point and shoot went into the beach... the wave came in and engulf it hahaha

but still can use as per normal, which is interesting... hahaha:)

while i was loading a new roll of film in the dark, i poked my finger into the shutter :(
luckily it still worked and i could cont shooting

but that was many many years ago, the shutter eventually fell apart in 2004
it cost me $250 to replace it with a new one.

Patryk said:
My eos 5 exploded after taking a shot of Chuck Norris... it's pretty fortunate considering it could have been my head.

Fwah, serious ah... Tink u kidding onie... U just a Chuck Norris fan? :bsmilie:

wind30 said:
I had a sigma 20mm f1.8 lens mounted on a KM D7D inside a burlingham hadley pro bag, slung across my shoulder. The bag strap slipped from my shoulder so the bag fell from waist height to the concrete floor. It is such a small drop that I did not think anything of it. The next morning I see the sigma 20mm f1.8 lens body cracked right in the middle .....

Dunno if it is because the camera bag has lousy padding or the sigma lens is REALLY fragile....

That's about it. Other than that, nothing ever happens to my camera gear.

Maybe the built quality of the lens is not good? So is it still functioning?

Years ago, prior to shooting a job with my EOS 3, loaded a roll of film, motor drive on the camera failed. Damn!!! Camera was 14 months old,less than 100 rolls run through the camera. Was so pissed off went back to the store that I bought the camera from, kicked up a big stink about the camera failing after so few rolls and that the camera being a semi-pro camera, such a failure should not have occured. Wanted to speak to the sales rep for that region to take issue with the camera. The salesman that sold me the camera told me to take it easy and that he would speak to the sales rep. Called me back after a few minutes, told me to bring the camera down for a one for one exchange. Now that's service! Unfortunately, it doesn't happen much here in Singapore.

Many years back I was on job shooting a wake boarding from another boat. When the boat I was in went over a wave and the boat "jump" a little, the studio's F3 with motor drive slip from my hand and drop into the sea!! Lucky I had the strip around my arm, but by the time I recovered and pulled the F3 out of the sea, it had been under water for a good few sec. The F3 seems OK and I con't shooting as the spare cam was on the beach. When back to studio, roll out the roll of slide which was surprisingly dry, and sent it out for processing. The roll of slide came back OK !! Clean up the F3 of all the sea water and salt and sent it for normal cleaning at NSC. The F3 was OK for the next few years.:sweat: :sweat:

David said:
Maybe the built quality of the lens is not good? So is it still functioning?

of course not. The whole lens is crooked at an angle.... I never bought another sigma lens again. unless really cheap lah. worse is that I have to pay for like $120 for the repair even though the lens is 2 months old.

wind30 said:
of course not. The whole lens is crooked at an angle.... I never bought another sigma lens again. unless really cheap lah. worse is that I have to pay for like $120 for the repair even though the lens is 2 months old.

Yah can understand your feelings...

That's why the more solid built lenses like Canon L or other brands are tough for a reason. Read b4 someone's big lens like the 70-200 f/2.8 dropped from waist level but still function normal! Usually only the filter or hood gives way.

Dropped a D100 in my bag...

the drop cracked the hood of the 18-70 lens. had to buy one to replace it... haiz

Status
Not open for further replies.