What's the max ISO you can go in order not to have grainy 4R photos?

Gerald Lam CK

Jul 2, 2009
Admiralty
glamphotography-ck.blogspot.com
Hi...since it has been donkey years since i last went to develop photos (I used a film cam at that time), may i ask what's the max iso i can go in order not to have grainy 4R photos and A4 sized prints?

I normally fixed my ISO to 100 and play ard with aperture and shutter spd instead to get the correct exposure. But i will be shooting indoor portraits with only a tamron 17-50mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 and an external flash and unfortunately i do not have the luxury of having light stands and those other external light sources.

When i test shot it with auto iso selection, it selected iso800 and that's already with the lights on. So i forsee i need minimum iso800 or more?

If that's the case if i ever want to print A4 prints or 4R prints, will the photos turn out noisy? Anyone who has knowledge about this?

Depends on how heavy the shadows in the picture are, whether you use noise removal software, etc.

Best is to take a shot in the situation you expect to shoot in, and do a test print.

Or stop worrying about noise.

take note some cameras have built in noise removal feature as well which may or may not work ideally with the softwares.

depends also what is the setting you use since bigger aperture + shorter shutter speed means generally lower iso.

personally from my camera, if taken correctly...dont see visible noise even up to A4 prints.

im taking portraits in low light indoor...so i dun tink i can have very low ss unless my model stays still? Hence the iso will come into place.

Aperture too. Or use a flash.

I've done some prints on 4R where the shots are taken with my 450D @ iso800. So far, noise level are pretty acceptable w/o noise reduction.

Have not tried out before as it is ink consuming but I think A4 size will show more noise grains since pixel size is increased compared to 4R.