What's the dpi for the sony cypershot DSC-717?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hannoush

Can anyone tell me the dpi for the sony cypershot DSC-717?

Key Features
5.0 Mega Pixels Super HAD CCD
5x Optical /10x Precision Digital Zoom
Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar Lens
NightShot
Quick Responses

Features
NightFraming
Clear Colour Noise Reduction (NR)
Zoom Ring
Hot Shoe Adapter for External Flash
Intuitive Controls
Accurate Framing at All Times
Hologram AF Contrast
ISO Sensitivity Setting
High-Speed Shutter Imaging (1/2000sec)
Histogram
S/A/M Exposure Modes
Multi-Point Auto Focus (Selectable)
Pop-Up Intelligent Flash+Red Eye Reduction
Burst Mode
MPEG Movie HQX (With Audio)
Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Terminal
Superior Battery Life

Specifications
2/3" Super HAD CCD Imaging Devices(gross: 5240K pixels;effective: 5020K pixels)
6 Modes White Balance
4 Modes Scene Selection
Shutter Speed: Auto (30-1/2000sec)
14bit Digital Extended Processor)
Super Resolution Converter
NR Slow Shutter (Twilight, Twilight Portrait, S, A, M Mode, NR 1/25-30)
Hand Shake Alert
3 Modes Picture Effects
F number: F2.0-F2.4
Focal Length (f=): f9.7-48.5mm; 35mm conversion 38-190mm
Iris Diaphragm: 6 Blades
Flash Mode: Auto, Forced-Flash, No Flash
Self Timer: 10 sec
LCD: 1.8" TFT (123K pixels)
Mic/ Speaker
Compression: JPEG, GIF, TIFF, MPEG1

you're probably referring to resolution, which is 5MP. "dpi" doesn't make much sense for a camera.

I used to have an Olympus d600L and it produses 144 dpi regardless of the image size. It has 3 levels quality as stated in almost all the digital cameras. But these (number x number) is only the image (file) size. E.G. the image could be around 2000 x 3000 pixles which is high, but with a resolution as low as 72 dpi (dot per inch).

Originally posted by hannoush
I used to have an Olympus d600L and it produses 144 dpi regardless of the image size. It has 3 levels quality as stated in almost all the digital cameras. But these (number x number) is only the image (file) size. E.G. the image could be around 2000 x 3000 pixles which is high, but with a resolution as low as 72 dpi (dot per inch).

No, the file can be tagged with whatever dpi by the camera. it has NO EFFECT on quality. A 1600x1200 file can be tagged at 600dpi, 300dpi, or even 1dpi and it will have the same quality on screen.

dpi (or more accurately PPI) is only relevant when printing, or when a output size is specified. That 1600x1200 will print at 300dpi at around 4x5.33333", if at 150dpi, you can get 8 x 10.666".

This dpi thing is the single most misunderstood thing in digital photography. This must be the dunno-how-many-th time I explain liao, should really get a FAQ going.... ;p

Regards
CK

Originally posted by hannoush

a 2000x3000 image is only 72dpi when you print it 27.8 inch by 41.7 inch. if you print the image smaller, you get a higher DPI. The "2000" refers to the bumber of "image dots". If you don't have output, where does the "inch" come from?

also 2000x3000 is not the file size. the uncompressed file size is 2000x3000x24bit (for 24bit images) or 144 million bit (18million bytes).

:D
Maybe its someone masquerading as hannosh
trying to get you to finally write something for CS

heh heh... lai lai, help all of us blur guys here

Originally posted by ckiang

No, the file can be tagged with whatever dpi by the camera. it has NO EFFECT on quality. A 1600x1200 file can be tagged at 600dpi, 300dpi, or even 1dpi and it will have the same quality on screen.

dpi (or more accurately PPI) is only relevant when printing, or when a output size is specified. That 1600x1200 will print at 300dpi at around 4x5.33333", if at 150dpi, you can get 8 x 10.666".

This dpi thing is the single most misunderstood thing in digital photography. This must be the dunno-how-many-th time I explain liao, should really get a FAQ going.... ;p

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.