What's The Difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowspeeder

Feb 16, 2004
www.themenatwork.com
What are the differences between printing photo images from a good inkjet printer using the best photo quality paper and having it printed at Kodak stores?

a) In terms of dpi and resolution?
b) What about durability of the ink? Will one of them last longer?
c) Cost wise?

Can anyone shed some good light on this?

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
i think by printing 3R/4R or even A4 makes no diff... provided your original pics are clear enough with enough resolution for 1440x1440 since the inkjet printer is like max on this... (i think)...

the kodak stores win over is in printing in larger batch den their color correction and matching is by far better than ours, since sometimes even the best set on your computer screen may not result in the same color on the printouts.

so talking about durability, i think kodak kind will last longer as inkjet printouts are still lacking in the color retention on long run.

cost... i think if just 1 or mayb about 10pics, 4R or A4, using printer would be abit simpler but cost wise is more expensive... but if you go to get developed, most would want at least about 30 pics or have to pay developing fee, or premium for few pics.

snowspeeder

Feb 16, 2004
www.themenatwork.com
The latest canon printer can print at 4800 x 2400 if I'm not wrong with 7 ink tanks. They claimed that their photos can last extremely long. So not sure if this would be a cheaper and better option if i invest in one of these can use the print outs to give to my future clients.

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
i got a fren who work in hp at the printer dept, he once told me that canon printers color not really good and as we can see for ourselves, the color normally abit washout.

den also he told me, i forgot which paper works best with hp printers... think either epson or canon...

oh ya.. if u just printing 1 or 2 pics, ok to invest in the printer to give clients a sample, but if u have alot, its still best to go to the developers, eg a wedding...

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
forget to add... the printouts work in this way... when they say they save ink or watever, its based on the economy mode, den without photo printing enabled type...

so when u print photos, it actually sucks ink like nobody's business. photo papers aren't exactly cheap as well... imagine print 100 4R... siao liao..

snowspeeder

Feb 16, 2004
www.themenatwork.com
Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
forget to add... the printouts work in this way... when they say they save ink or watever, its based on the economy mode, den without photo printing enabled type...

so when u print photos, it actually sucks ink like nobody's business. photo papers aren't exactly cheap as well... imagine print 100 4R... siao liao..
I think 10 pieces of the Kodak 270 GSM photo paper @ A4 size costs like $14 or so. From there could use a cutter to split into 4 x 4R copies.

henrylim

Mar 30, 2004
North
henrylim.net
Just 2 cents of thoughts. Not an expert here, just my experience.

a) In terms of dpi and resolution?
While the DPI seemed to increase over these years, I still feel that the quality of lab prints are still better - more even and real (cos the colour rendition seem more natural). ;)

b) What about durability of the ink? Will one of them last longer?
Time tested Kodak prints from my childhood is still looking good. and I am coming close to 30 yrs old. :bsmilie:

c) Cost wise?
Lab prints are (a) Convenient (b) Reliable (c) No paper jams (d) No need to monitor the printing, feed the paper, check the printout, refill the ink, scared that unused ink may dry up over time, or empty half way, or worry that some ink run out faster than the others :bigeyes: , no need to worry the power consumption of the PC, Printer, Fan, Lights in the room :bsmilie: . I believe in the long run, lab prints are cheaper (especially for the 4R and the common formats)

Status
Not open for further replies.