Whats the difference betwwen IR remote control and wired remote control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulla

Sep 22, 2009
Singapore
Hi guy,
just need to check something never actually owned a remote be4..... so was wondering how come IR remote is cheaper than wired one... when wired one will ten to shift the camera...

Material cost. Infra remote only requires the controller end while wired is for those camera that have cable release connector.

The disadvantage is IR is uni directional while cable allows controlling in all sides.

Hi guy,
just need to check something never actually owned a remote be4..... so was wondering how come IR remote is cheaper than wired one... when wired one will ten to shift the camera...

Not sure about the prices, might also be something about demand and supply. If wired shifts your camera then please tighten the screws on your tripod and tripod head. Never had any issues with it. Create a simple pull relief for the cable so that there is a small mechanical separation between controller and cable. Tie a loop, hang it on one of the screws. Use cable ties or velcro bands. Most cable releases can be extended, the plug is a standard 2.5mm, either 3 or 4 poles plug as used for earphones.

Try using a wireless rf control, 3rd party around $40.

yeap i saw one thats y i am wondering if it is worth to pay another 100% for for a wireless one ..

depending on what you shoot oso, for my use which is mainly macro and use on tripod, I will prefer wire...

of you are buying for just trigger for group shot, I think wireless is good enough.

btw I dun understand what you mean by shifting the camera.

Hi guy,

Some wired triggers also come with a wireless radio trigger, so you can still trigger the shutter via a wireless control if you need it.

Some wired triggers also come with a wireless radio trigger, so you can still trigger the shutter via a wireless control if you need it.

???

is there? which one? I need 1 more cable. got support canon 7D?

is there? which one? I need 1 more cable. got support canon 7D?

Phottix wireless shutter releases. It comes with a sender and a receiver which is then plugged into the wired shutter cable terminal. The receiver has the shutter buttons as well. So it can be used in both ways.
Link to one Mass Sales offer: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466425
If 7D has a similar terminal than any existing Canon listed there then it should work.

Phottix wireless shutter releases. It comes with a sender and a receiver which is then plugged into the wired shutter cable terminal. The receiver has the shutter buttons as well. So it can be used in both ways.
Link to one Mass Sales offer: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466425
If 7D has a similar terminal than any existing Canon listed there then it should work.

Yep, think i'm using one of these.

Hi guy,

IR remotes have a lag when u depress the shutter button whereas cabled ones do not. In addition as said by someone else that the working area is more limited than cabled ones as IR remotes need a line of sight, even though the limited working distance is still greater than cabled ones.

IR need line of sight (and the transmitter cannot be at the back of most camera which has the receiving window in front).

Wired has physical constraint.

So Radio Wireless Remote has the best functionality as it has no limitations of the other 2. And some can trigger as far as 100m away.. althou it's not really practical to operate a camera that far in most cases.

However, the wired remote does offer one advantage that no other remotes can beat. That is, it doesn't require power supply to operate.

Last edited:
I can't find any RF remotes that do not have shutter lag. In the end I still go back to my wired remote. To prevent shifting yr camera, just velco or tie to yr tripod.

is this the cheapest ard? am considering this and prob getting it soon as thurs most prob got fireworks ard to take

is this the cheapest ard? am considering this and prob getting it soon as thurs most prob got fireworks ard to take

Not sure whether this is the cheapest. But I'd try to balance price and quality. Phottix also makes other components (battery grip) and so far I haven't seen major complains here. The cheapest wired release is DIY - parts cost less than $5, all you need is some soldering skills and time :) Google a bit and you'll find enough examples and instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.