What's the difference between the Nikon F80 and the F80S?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, pretty good deal.

Need some time to get used to it though. Am too used to the F65. e.g. The viewfinder of the F65 is not WYSIWYG. it's about 70-80% of the picture.. so i tend to compensate by filling up the entire frame of what i see. The F80S's viewfinder covers around 95-97% of the actual picture.. forgot about that recently and some of my pictures were either too close or cropped. :) Need to take more shots first (aka Practice).

yeah, think i might sell it. still trying to convince my friend that he'll need it for this trip to Bangkok later this month. hehee.. any idea what will be a good price? think it's retailing outside for around $748 or something.

what happend to your old F65? Keeping it as a backup body?

rOCh

Originally posted by scanner

Wow! That is a good price you paid for!
Great! The F80S are performing great, how about yours?
BTW, what will happen to your F65? Plan to sell away? ;)

Originally posted by rochkoh
Yeah, pretty good deal.

Need some time to get used to it though. Am too used to the F65. e.g. The viewfinder of the F65 is not WYSIWYG. it's about 70-80% of the picture.. so i tend to compensate by filling up the entire frame of what i see. The F80S's viewfinder covers around 95-97% of the actual picture.. forgot about that recently and some of my pictures were either too close or cropped. :) Need to take more shots first (aka Practice).

yeah, think i might sell it. still trying to convince my friend that he'll need it for this trip to Bangkok later this month. hehee.. any idea what will be a good price? think it's retailing outside for around $748 or something.

what happend to your old F65? Keeping it as a backup body?

rOCh

Oh mine - F65D, still considering whether to sell it away. Might keep for backup, especially if going for overseas trips, 2 cameras with different 2 films...cool right. :D

BTW, how old is your F65? the older it is, the least price you will get.... ;)

Now that's an idea! One take slides the other take film. hehe..

Got it June 2001. Almost a year old. Still very good / excellent condition. (i take care of me equipment). Clean it after every outing and kept in dry box when not in use. Hope to sell it for around $450-480. That'll offset the cost of the F80S. Or might 'invest' in an FM2. :D

money.. :cry: money..

will try not to buy any more equipment this year.. feeling the strain already..

upgraded your tripod yet? :)

Originally posted by scanner

Oh mine - F65D, still considering whether to sell it away. Might keep for backup, especially if going for overseas trips, 2 cameras with different 2 films...cool right. :D

BTW, how old is your F65? the older it is, the least price you will get.... ;)

Got it June 2001. Almost a year old. Still very good / excellent condition. (i take care of me equipment). Clean it after every outing and kept in dry box when not in use. Hope to sell it for around $450-480. That'll offset the cost of the F80S. Or might 'invest' in an FM2. :D

Yup! But presently too much things to upgrade, maybe 1 at a time.... money u noe....:cry:
Maybe getting a 50 mm prime len 1st ..... ;)

Hee hee, I also a happy F80s owner, still never feel sorry for going bankrupt for it. Btw it is quite a good idea to keep F65 for backup when go tour as the body is light and best of all, it share all the F80 equipment. Or another reason to keep you F65 is to give it to your girlfriend or wife so that she can go phototaking with you and hopfully she also can pick up the interest. Then perfect liao, can dating and not give up hobby.
For me, I got an ixus digital camera (small, cute) for her hoping that she will join me for phototaking and pick the interest but seem like it really not her cup of tea. Now lost lot of time bfing with her that I didn't take much photo liao.
Btw did you get the 28-80 G when u bought the F65? now you got another one for F80? How many lens you have anyway?
BTW, I'm about to get either SB50 or SB80 soon, is AP having the best price? What is the price that any owner here had paid and buy from where?

Wahh.. so many F80 owners..

1) TrevorTan - F80S
2) Scanner - F80S
3) Keito - F80
4) Roch - F80S

maybe we should go out shooting one of these days. :D

hey, that' a neat idea. :light: Been wanting to introduce my girlfriend to photography.. now here's my chance. lent her my friend's 2100UZ during our trip to HongKong and she took over 400 shots. trigger happy little thing. :) just hope i can still balance my chequebook. haha..

you're right. The F65 is excellent for tours.. took it to Australia, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Japan, Malaysia.. no problems. a light and able performer.

Got the 28-80D when i bought my F65. (that was over 10 months ago). The F80S i got from Richard came with a 28-80G. Here's what i got right now:
Body: F65, F80S
Lens: 50f1.8, 28-80D, 28-80G, 70-300 APO-Marco, 80-200 f2.8 push-pull.

my dry box is bursting liao.

think i might sell the 70-300 and get a teleconverter (MC-7).. then i'm fully covered. the only thing good about that lens is it's Macro function..

how's your setup like?

rOCh

Originally posted by Trevor_Tan

Hee hee, I also a happy F80s owner, still never feel sorry for going bankrupt for it. Btw it is quite a good idea to keep F65 for backup when go tour as the body is light and best of all, it share all the F80 equipment. Or another reason to keep you F65 is to give it to your girlfriend or wife so that she can go phototaking with you and hopfully she also can pick up the interest. Then perfect liao, can dating and not give up hobby.
For me, I got an ixus digital camera (small, cute) for her hoping that she will join me for phototaking and pick the interest but seem like it really not her cup of tea. Now lost lot of time bfing with her that I didn't take much photo liao.
Btw did you get the 28-80 G when u bought the F65? now you got another one for F80? How many lens you have anyway?
BTW, I'm about to get either SB50 or SB80 soon, is AP having the best price? What is the price that any owner here had paid and buy from where?

R u sure the viewfinder of F65 is just 70~80%? If true, then it is too narrow. I thought is around 85~90%.

Feel not so good for me to introduce a camera that I don't like to my friend...unless if he is ok with the limited features of it...

Wahh.. so many F80 owners..

1) TrevorTan - F80S
2) Scanner - F80S
3) Keito - F80
4) Roch - F80S

maybe we should go out shooting one of these days. :D

hey, that' a neat idea. :light: Been wanting to introduce my girlfriend to photography.. now here's my chance. lent her my friend's 2100UZ during our trip to HongKong and she took over 400 shots. trigger happy little thing. :) just hope i can still balance my chequebook. haha..

you're right. The F65 is excellent for tours.. took it to Australia, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Japan, Malaysia.. no problems. a light and able performer.

Got the 28-80D when i bought my F65. (that was over 10 months ago). The F80S i got from Richard came with a 28-80G. Here's what i got right now:

think i might sell the 70-300 and get a teleconverter (MC-7).. then i'm fully covered. the only thing good about that lens is it's Macro function..

how's your setup like?

rOCh

Great idea, we should meet up one of these days for some photo taking session. :D
As for my decent assets:
Body: F65D, F80S
Lens: TAMRON 24-135 mm SP Macro,
Nikkor 28-80G, 70-300 G.

Luckily, my dry box (electrical run one ) still able to take in more lens. :p

Kho King,

You could be right. it's probably about there. didn't bother to calcuate exactly how much is left out. All i know is that it can be significant. - esp. if you have chosen something to frame your shot / picture, but upon seeing the results, it either takes to much of your shot or if you have over-compensated, you've left parts of it out.

True, true. i will be sure to warn/inform my friend about this feature. But the F65 is certainly not a camera that i don't like. Quite the contrary. I've taken some fantastic shots with this baby (no scanner, can't show) and almost can't bear to let it go. But if there's a decent offer, i will sell it. Otherwise it's just sitting in my dry box depreciating. I'm sure you've sold some of your equipment that you're attached to - perhaps you needed to raise funds to finance a dream buy.. or something. :)

oh, btw, must thank you for your website. helped me in some of my purchases + what to avoid.

Originally posted by Kho King

R u sure the viewfinder of F65 is just 70~80%? If true, then it is too narrow. I thought is around 85~90%.

Feel not so good for me to introduce a camera that I don't like to my friend...unless if he is ok with the limited features of it...

Been wanting to introduce my girlfriend to photography.. now here's my chance. lent her my friend's 2100UZ during our trip to HongKong and she took over 400 shots. trigger happy little thing. :) just hope i can still balance my chequebook.

Wasn't 2100UZ a digital camera? U need not print all 400 shots just print those nice one for keep then rest just burn into a CD. And u can acturally print from a printer too. Infact save more money then a 35mm camera.

Why don't you also sell one of the 28-80? Unless you really want to give it to your girlfriend or sell it with the F65.
Me only got a TAMRON 28-200, and very happy with the performance the only problem is the weight and when use with hood, the build-in flash is quite useless.
Now acturally thinking of getting the following: :light:

SB50DX or SB80DX
TAMRON 24-135
Nikkor 50mm either f1.8 or f1.4

But I believe it will be a very long saving to do with such a low income that I am getting. :(

Wasn't 2100UZ a digital camera? U need not print all 400 shots just print those nice one for keep then rest just burn into a CD. And u can acturally print from a printer too. Infact save more money then a 35mm camera.

Why don't you also sell one of the 28-80? Unless you really want to give it to your girlfriend or sell it with the F65.
Me only got a TAMRON 28-200, and very happy with the performance the only problem is the weight and when use with hood, the build-in flash is quite useless.

SB50DX or SB80DX
TAMRON 24-135

But I believe it will be a very long saving to do with such a low income that I am getting. :(

Good, go for the TAMRON 24-135mm SP len, it is a good len! ;)
You can use it as a macro len. :thumbsup:

Hey Trevor,

yeah it's a DC. borrowed it from a friend.

didn't print many. they're all on CD-ROM. :) true, you'll save more money in the long run. incremental costs are very minimal if you don't intend to print your pictures.

i'm still deciding between selling ma F65 + 28-80G as a set, to give it to my GF or to keep the body and sell the 28-80G. will sit on it. no hurry to get rid of anything or to raise funds yet. :D

lemme know which flash you're gettin'. got an SB-22.. not nearly powerful enuf.. haha.. think that's what the equipment purchasing syndrome's all about..

oh btw, the 50mm f/1.8 is a good lens. fast. think i'll cost you <$200 (or something) brand new.

enjoy!
rOCh

SB50DX or SB80DX
TAMRON 24-135

Status
Not open for further replies.