What's the difference between PANNING and TRACKING

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
Can someone explain to me what's the difference and which is for what purpose and how? thx

:gbounce: :rbounce: :gbounce:

:eek: haha, Jed, I'm waiting for u but u waiting for whom, ah?;p

Panning: The person holding the camera remains stationary, but follows the subject. If you look at the person from a top-down view, he is essentially swinging the camera in an arc.

Tracking: Think of film sets where the camera is tracked, like a train moves on tracks. The camera moves along with the subject.

As far as I can remember, a cinematography text can probably explain these terms and more more accurately!

Originally posted by tomshen
Can someone explain to me what's the difference and which is for what purpose and how? thx

Panning is moving the camera to follow an object, usually in a semi circular pattern, for example as a car passes by on the road. Panning is done at lowish shutter speeds to blur the background and leave the subject in sharp focus.

Tracking usually refers in stills photography to the AF systems ability to keep a lens in focus on a moving object, eg: bird in flight, moving cars etc.

Tracking is also used in stills photography to mean 'following a subject while keeping them in focus' eg: a football player on the pitch, this can be done by either AF or MF.

thx igpenguin and Ian, I think I was using panning according to the definition.

Originally posted by tomshen
thx igpenguin and Ian, I think I was using panning according to the definition.

but you weren't using a slowish shutter speed :D

Status
Not open for further replies.