What's the difference between natl day message & rally

tofu master

Dec 12, 2009
My daughter asked me this question. Never given thought about it before. I google but didn't find clear answer. Can anyone help? Thanks

The National Day Message is a lot more brief.

The National Day Rally is viewed as a lot more important, and is meant to set the direction for the year. Not that the National Day Message is unimportant (though some may view it as such), but it just doesn't have any details, just broad strokes.

National Day Rally - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can compare the 2011 National Day Message to the 2011 National Day Rally and you can see what I mean. :)

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's National Day Message (English)
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's National Day Rally 2011 (Speech in English), Sunday, 14 August 2011, at University Cultural Centre, National University of Singapore

Last edited:
The National Day Rally speech and then the Budget Speech (by the Finance Minister) are the two most important speeches of a year here.

Like Taiwanese serial "爱"。Part 1 and then Part 2.

national day message is when your buddies send you whatsapp, sms or emails. national day rally is watching foreign markets chiong (bull run ) on 9 August while our own markets are closed

PM is more important. you can pick up tiny bits here and there. some may strike a pot-luck if they can pick up anything. property agent sure lurks ard for en-bloc info

Last edited:
National Day message is the trailer, National Day rally is the film.

Thanks guys. :)
:thumbsup:

to be very honest I would love to see a real "rally" in the elections style where the Prem Binister speaks in Speakers Corner (Hong Lim Park) and throngs of people gather.

But I guess the restriction on usage of amplification equipment kind of restricts our Dear Leader from doing so...or, no aircon + no seats + no roof = no audience?

One is very long winded and the other is short :bsmilie:

Doesn't matter to me because I read the summary on newspaper next day :bsmilie:

National Day message is:

"Do your best for Singapore and be proud of your nation."

National Day rally message is:

"We are all equal under the sun and breathing the same air."

:bsmilie:

They are the same because both are nonsense :bsmilie:

No locals win this year Olympics, only the imports wins.
There will always be some people who are more equal than others.