What's the difference between group and elements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweat100

Jul 7, 2002
Singapore
sweat100.multiply.com
Read in alot of places that lenses is made up group and elements. What is the difference? Is it that 1 group consist of several pieces of glasses (called elements?).

group can be a single element or more than one. A 5 elements lens can have 5 groups, meaning each element stands as one group. Some lenses have more than 3 elements stack together to form a group...as it is difficult to manufacture those element in one piece (thus the combination of several elements to form a group).

bump...

sorry if this discuss before, i try very hard to search the "Elements+ groups", finally shortlisted to 3 pages... perhaps , some one willing to help me...

so my question is.. does it really matter , the more the better or the less the better???

It used to be the more you have, the more likely it is that there will be optical distortions, colour fringing, chromatic aberration, etc in your picture. That's why the early zooms, with their complex optical structure, are always lousier than the much simpler prime lenses, which is also why prime lenses are usually very sharp and crisp.

However nowadays, with the introduction of wildly exotic elements, this may no longer be true. Some zooms are equal, or better to primes, but of course, you pay the price accordingly.

gernie said:
bump...

sorry if this discuss before, i try very hard to search the "Elements+ groups", finally shortlisted to 3 pages... perhaps , some one willing to help me...

so my question is.. does it really matter , the more the better or the less the better???

With modern optics? No it doesn't matter. Judge the lens based on the quality of the images it produces, build quality and price.

Although the technical details do affect the final product, that's for engineers and designers to worry about. As a photographer, be concerned only about the final product and how it performs. What goes in is really of no direct concern, as long as it delivers where it counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.