Whats the difference between a tripod and monopod? What to look for a tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all,

1)whats the diff bet a tripod and monopod?
2) what to look for in a tripod? Mine is only Powershot A60, a light tripod should be sufficient? Which to reccomend?

Regards,
KE Tan

You could get the SLIK 6600 tripod. Around $40. More than enough to support your A60.

Originally posted by ordinaryless
i guess tripod is more stable than monopod, if so why people still pay for monopod? Cheaper?

That's because monopods are generally lighter and more versatile than tripods. Furthermore, they can double as a walking/climbing stick, useful for mountain climbers and those who go for nature shots (where it's almost impossbile to find flat ground).

Originally posted by ChinShiong
and those who go for nature shots (where it's almost impossbile to find flat ground).

using a secret nature photographer's technique, tripods can be used even though the ground is not flat. The secret technique is code named "adjust the length of the legs".

Originally posted by ordinaryless
i guess tripod is more stable than monopod, if so why people still pay for monopod? Cheaper?

ever use a huge and heavy lens?

Your first question already answered. If this monopod or tripod is your first purchase, better to get the tripod imho. Also the tripod can always function as a makeshift monopod. I think you would find the tripod more useful for all around phototaking.

Originally posted by erwinx
using a secret nature photographer's technique, tripods can be used even though the ground is not flat. The secret technique is code named "adjust the length of the legs".

Oh yes, I didn't know nature photographers like to waste time adjusting the length of the tripod legs, not to mention bearing the risk of missing a shot and measuring the centre of gravity of his/her setup relative to the base to prevent the setup from falling over. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Meanie
Your first question already answered. If this monopod or tripod is your first purchase, better to get the tripod imho. Also the tripod can always function as a makeshift monopod. I think you would find the tripod more useful for all around phototaking.

using a tripod as a makeshift monopod has never came across my mind and think it's feasible. Has anyone of u tried that b4?

Just tried it out on my tripod and find it more convenient than extending all 3 legs. :thumbsup:

How many of u really use this method frequently? :)

A monopod is useful in tight spaces, like shooting a fashion show with hundreds of other people crowding around you.

It will not be possible to "open up" the legs of the tripod in such a situation.

A tripod with one leg extended to function as a monopod sounds good, but the diameter of the tripod is quite thick with all 3 legs closed and only 1 leg is extended to support it.

this may cause the tripod with 1 leg extended, to be very unstable and hardly usefully at all and if you have tried it, I find the photographer will be more worried about the tripod falling over than taking a good shot. His mind is not on the subject but on the unstable tripod.

I have tried it before, and it is very wobbly.

After all, a monpod is only $60-70, and you can use the tripod's head, so why not get a monopod instead of using a tripod as one?

Oh yes, I didn't know nature photographers like to waste time adjusting the length of the tripod legs, not to mention bearing the risk of missing a shot and measuring the centre of gravity of his/her setup relative to the base to prevent the setup from falling over. :rolleyes:

i dun think it is so difficult as to use the phrase waste time

obviously, you do not know how a nature photog works.

Originally posted by mervlam
obviously, you do not know how a nature photog works.

Monopods are useful for the nature photographer who needs to be mobile and travel light, as they are easier to transport and faster to set up (as compared to a tripod). Although the use of a tripod is advocated by many, which is more useful still depends on what the photographer is shooting and where he's/she's in.

Lastly, do not assume what I do or do not know. You don't know me. :rolleyes:

Lastly, do not assume what I do or do not know. You don't know me. :rolleyes:

So do you. :rolleyes:

In the case that you don't know, most nature photographers use ultra telephoto lens of 400mm and above. And most of them camp and wait for that dream shot to be taken, not what you assumed as "bearing the risk of missing a shot".

And if you do succeed in scaring that bird off the branches, serve you right. That's probably because you are noisily trying set up your gear.

Originally posted by mervlam
In the case that you don't know, most nature photographers use ultra telephoto lens of 400mm and above. And most of them camp and wait for that dream shot to be taken, not what you assumed as "bearing the risk of missing a shot".

And if you do succeed in scaring that bird off the branches, serve you right. That's probably because you are noisily trying set up your gear.

You already said "most", not "all" didn't you ? And I have no idea how you managed to conjure up that last sentence of your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.