What's the diff between Canon's A(xx), S(xx) & Gx?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappiTree

Sep 2, 2004
Hi all,

1) I am interested in getting my first (digital) camera and was looking at a few Canon models - A95, S70 & G6. Apart from what I read on some websites, I was wondering if they are any major differences in the different series A(xx), S(xx) & G(x)?

2) Appreciate if any of you can recommend any good sites for me to read up?

3) Also, since G5 is discontinued, does that mean that if I consider buying it secondhand, I may have problems with the servicing/repairs? I actually quite like G5 and since the price is likely to fall with the new G6, trying to get an idea of the risks of considering such an option?

4) Also, any opinion on which model I should consider? :dunno:

5) Just curious - Are the EOS lenses of the film camera compatible with the digital EOS?

Thanks for your patience!! :embrass:

Appreciate your advice to this newbie!! :sweat:

Hi HappiTree!

Welcome to CS, you have taken a great interest in Canon Cameras, come let me try to help you.

1) I am interested in getting my first (digital) camera and was looking at a few Canon models - A95, S70 & G6. Apart from what I read on some websites, I was wondering if they are any major differences in the different series A(xx), S(xx) & G(x)?

A series is the Budget series for Canon digital cameras. A95 is a 5 mega pixel camera with a 2" Twist and Turn LCD Screen, its represents a good most value for money series. Its has manual controls for learning more about controlling your outcome.

S series is a more expensive series, the new S70 has wide 28mm lens and metal body using a 7mega pixel sensor.

The G6 fresh on our shores, its considered the 2nd top of the line canon digital series after the Pro1 series. You can mount EOS flashlights on them, a remote to take pictures together with your love ones, add tele or wide angle lenses to them to expend your shooting style. The additions are also possible with the other two cameras mention.

2) Appreciate if any of you can recommend any good sites for me to read up?

www.dpreview.com

3) Also, since G5 is discontinued, does that mean that if I consider buying it secondhand, I may have problems with the servicing/repairs? I actually quite like G5 and since the price is likely to fall with the new G6, trying to get an idea of the risks of considering such an option?

Should be not have a problem with spare parts, servicing as canon mention to me that they do keep parts for at least 7 years. Please be aware and select carefully the 2nd hand items as some may abuse their tools but mostly 2nd hand stuff is the way to go, you save quite a bit form this then buying first hand.

4) Also, any opinion on which model I should consider?

depends on your budget, there are many other lovely canon cameras to choose from A80, G3, G2, Pro1, S1 just to name a few...

5) Just curious - Are the EOS lenses of the film camera compatible with the digital EOS?

YES!

Thanks for your patience!!

Appreciate your advice to this newbie!!
no problem, i'm writing to Canon to sponsor me a EOS1 series models after helping about 100 ppl to buy new canon digital products, so far there are about 11 people that i help start on digital photography using canon digital cameras and DSLRs. when i hit 25 i have a group photo with them and start to write my letter. you could also help by mention to Canon about me and understand my campaign for free EOS bodies.

:embrass:

Hi Belle&Sebastian,

Thanks for your advise!

How about the functions among the different models?

All of them have manual settings & have mounts to add on other lenses? I suppose each series will have their own set of lenses (at different prices)? Any idea which range will be cheaper/expensive?

For the EOS, do I have to look for any specific description, or just the "EOS" prefix is good enough?

That's quite a target! Is your free EOS 1 series campaign a personal crusade? Good luck! If/When I do buy, no prob, you can quote me as one of those you helped. :) thks!

I am also a newbie, looking to buy an easy-to-use camera which can take good quality pictures especially in the night and indoors (had a bad buy the last time with Konica).

Have been considering the Canon S500 then I realize there is a S60/S70 series also. Are there any considerations when looking at the IXUS (all three digit numbers?) and the two digits ones like S60 and S70?

I just read about "noise" in higher megapixel cameras when the CCD is too small; in such a case do you think a S60 will be a better choice than an S70 for a newbie idiot like myself? :sweat:

wildcat said:
I am also a newbie, looking to buy an easy-to-use camera which can take good quality pictures especially in the night and indoors (had a bad buy the last time with Konica).

Have been considering the Canon S500 then I realize there is a S60/S70 series also. Are there any considerations when looking at the IXUS (all three digit numbers?) and the two digits ones like S60 and S70?

I just read about "noise" in higher megapixel cameras when the CCD is too small; in such a case do you think a S60 will be a better choice than an S70 for a newbie idiot like myself? :sweat:

one thing u hv to note is that higher megapixels doesn't mean better pictures, it only means how big you want to print your pics. if you intend to print like 4R pics most of the time, a 3 mega cam is sufficient. if i'm not wrong you can even print up to 8R (but how often do pp do that?)

the 'digital noise' relative to megapixels that u read abt is only 'technically' speaking. for reputable companies like canon or other big boys, i don't think that's ever the case, and don't think you can even tell the diff with yr naked eye.

somehow i'm not a fan of s60/70, to me it's a pricey 3.6zoom camera with a so called built-in wide angle lens...which is only useful when you take scenery shots... and it looks like any other $500 p&s cam.

for abt $200 lesser, you can get the S1 IS (10x zoom with anti-shake, you'd love the zoom man!) or pay a bit more for the much raved G5.

many newbies play it safe & get the A85/95 first, it's cheap, compact, has manual ctrls & they do take decent photos. after they get the hang of things and feel that they want to pursue further in photography, they upgrade to a real dslr. others (esp. girls) get tiny cams like ixus cos they are so convenient to bring around.

there are also newbies who just get a dslr as their first cam, afterall, they come with dummy proof scene modes too. ;) so it really depends on you.

HappiTree said:
How about the functions among the different models?

i kinna mention them on the last post

HappiTree said:
All of them have manual settings & have mounts to add on other lenses? I suppose each series will have their own set of lenses (at different prices)? Any idea which range will be cheaper/expensive?

not sure if S70 has manual controls, tis less popular option among the rest of the canon series as its pricy. For its price ppl can buy the G-series camera which has more control and features. Not too sure about different camera use different lenses, but i know adding lenses will add bulk and you need a converter for it.

HappiTree said:
For the EOS, do I have to look for any specific description, or just the "EOS" prefix is good enough?

EOS is the current offering for SLR (single lens reflex) canon cameras. They use the EF mount 2 cameras use the EF-s mount that can utilze 3 new lenses from canon that other cameras are not able to mount on.

HappiTree said:
That's quite a target! Is your free EOS 1 series campaign a personal crusade? Good luck! If/When I do buy, no prob, you can quote me as one of those you helped. :) thks!

Yup its a personal crusade Thks! Let me know what model you buy at the end and your real name & email via PM thks so much!

wildcat said:

IXUS series, there are two lines basicly ixus500 and ixus430 using compact flash cards and ixusI (4 mega pixels) (no optical zoom) and ixusIIs (2 optical zoom 3.2 mega pixel) using SD card.

personally for a small camera, my choice will be either ixus 430 or ixusIIs, you need not need the 5 megapixel camera as mention, you hardly print a large print, further the lens is so small i wonder will the camera utillize fully the large pixel count.

the noise on most compact digicam is quite horible, stick to the lowest iso, think creatively when shooting in low light places and buy a tripod if needed.

Thanks for the replies. Basically managed to pick up a bit more info that I didn't find from dpreview:

(1) that the S60/S70 doesn't suit me; not into scenery shots
(2) that the S1 IS is nice and good but too heavy and bulky for me :confused:
(3) didn't mind getting an SLR but there are some other issues. Also if I were taking an SLR, I would be taking the D70, for some reason.
(4) that I can't escape the noise problem, although it shouldn't be of consideration - am using the camera to take digital photos, but most likely not for reprinting but to be used on the web (sorry, forgot to mention this point)
(5) that if price were not an issue, whether one should take the S500 or S430. Will the noise be worse on the S500 if I shink the image to smaller size?

wildcat said:
(5) that if price were not an issue, whether one should take the S500 or S430. Will the noise be worse on the S500 if I shink the image to smaller size?

i will spent it on ixus 430, save the money, dun need the extra million pixels. the noise dun work that way, the sensor will still produce noise at higher iso regardless of using a bigger or smaller file.

Belle&Sebastain said:
no problem, i'm writing to Canon to sponsor me a EOS1 series models after helping about 100 ppl to buy new canon digital products, so far there are about 11 people that i help start on digital photography using canon digital cameras and DSLRs. when i hit 25 i have a group photo with them and start to write my letter. you could also help by mention to Canon about me and understand my campaign for free EOS bodies.

:embrass:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Belle&Sebastain said:
i will spent it on ixus 430, save the money, dun need the extra million pixels. the noise dun work that way, the sensor will still produce noise at higher iso regardless of using a bigger or smaller file.

Okay, understand. One last question: If you were to get a free camera, say you won it in a lucky draw, and could pick any IXUS camera for free, would you still pick the 430 over the 500? :sweat:

wildcat said:
Okay, understand. One last question: If you were to get a free camera, say you won it in a lucky draw, and could pick any IXUS camera for free, would you still pick the 430 over the 500? :sweat:

pick the more expensive one.
Sell it and get the one you like.

countdownfinal said:
pick the more expensive one.
Sell it and get the one you like.

Brilliant ;) now why didn't I think of that earlier :embrass:

great I found this thread

now i can go look into Canon camera.
was wondering where to start.

buying my first camera :lovegrin: