Whats the cheapest combination for shooting macro with the D70

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzart

May 7, 2003
Thomson
Visit site
Am thinking of trying Macro photography with the D70. (Have the D70 with the Kit lens)

If money is a concern, what is the cheapest combination of equipment I need to get for shooting Macro.

Should I get the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and attach it to an extension ring?
or would it be better if I were to save up for the Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D

Also, please state roughly how much, any recommended combination would cost.

Wah...being new to photography, and not having all the equipment is really costing me a bomb.

**If anyone has got any lens for shooting Macro....I am interested.

jazzart said:
Am thinking of trying Macro photography with the D70. (Have the D70 with the Kit lens)

If money is a concern, what is the cheapest combination of equipment I need to get for shooting Macro.

Should I get the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and attach it to an extension ring?
or would it be better if I were to save up for the Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D

Also, please state roughly how much, any recommended combination would cost.

Wah...being new to photography, and not having all the equipment is really costing me a bomb.

**If anyone has got any lens for shooting Macro....I am interested.
Have you considered 3rd party macro lenses like Sigma & Tamron? Quite good value.

Hi all,

I m new in photography too, does it work with placing T6 filter?

RSU said:
Have you considered 3rd party macro lenses like Sigma & Tamron? Quite good value.

Third party lenses are ok with me, but which ones shoul dI be looking out for?

renegade said:

Bro, price is slightly too steep for me.
The Nikkor AF 60mm f/2.8D Micro ~ S$595.00 @ Cathay Photo if I wanted to buy, I would have to save up already.

Was looking for something cheaper (if there is any).

Thanks anyway.

jazzart said:
How much would the whole set cost?

50mm f1.8 around $175-180
BR2-A reverse ring around $25

so all up around $200 or so...

another option is to get one of those third party 70-300mm lenses from Sigma or Tamron that have macro capabilities up to 1:2 for around $300++ - also good as a cheap and light long telephoto zoom

'Justarius' told me to try close-up filters for macro. I am quite happy with Nikon No 6T. Of course there will be a reduction in sharpness. It cost me 78$ from CP.

I looked for the BR -2 ring but I couldn't find it. Any idea where to get it ?

jazzart said:
Bro, price is slightly too steep for me.
The Nikkor AF 60mm f/2.8D Micro ~ S$595.00 @ Cathay Photo if I wanted to buy, I would have to save up already.

Was looking for something cheaper (if there is any).

Thanks anyway.
The closest equiv from Sigma is the 50mm 2.8EX macro, around $400 and a bit new . Comparing the Nikkor 60 with the Sigma 105 is not accurate, the Nikkor 105 new would be closer to $1000.

I realise that you have a budget to consider, but you also must consider what you are getting for what you are willing to pay. Not to mention what you should be getting for what you want to do. Otherwise, all this is academic.

Best advice is to know what you need, and search 2nd hand on the B&S forum. Good luck.

If you are not going for the best picture quality, can try sigma 70-300 APO Macro Super II. $320 or so brand new, TCW got.
Telephoto + macro, 2-in-1.

Regarding the BR-2 ring, you NEED the BR-2A, because with some AF bodies, the metal ring MIGHT comes into contact with the electronic contacts in the body. Better to not take the chance, and BR-2A is more common than BR-2 because it is the new replacement model. BUT, a BR-2A will leave your D70 without metering. I'd say, best cheap macro setup for the D70 is 50mm f/1.8 (for the 52mm filter ring) and a Nikon 4T close up filter. If it was a body that could meter with manual focus lenses, then substitute the 50mm f/1.8 for a 2nd hand 200mm f/4 (around S$100-150). Goes great with the 4T.

Aaron

2100 said:
If you are not going for the best picture quality, can try sigma 70-300 APO Macro Super II. $320 or so brand new, TCW got.
Telephoto + macro, 2-in-1.

Wah...this seems to be the best bet,for the amount of Money paid.

With Telephoto, and Macro abilities.

** But please enlighten...what do you mean by not the best picture quality. Will the picture quality be very bad?

jazzart said:
Wah...this seems to be the best bet,for the amount of Money paid.

With Telephoto, and Macro abilities.

** But please enlighten...what do you mean by not the best picture quality. Will the picture quality be very bad?

i use that for macro too (although i seldom shoot macro). note that it doesn't do 1:1 macro though, and shooting at ard 200 to 300mm macro, try to use a tripod (at least i find it so). but overall this is a good economical lens.

Ajeesh said:
'Justarius' told me to try close-up filters for macro. I am quite happy with Nikon No 6T. Of course there will be a reduction in sharpness. It cost me 78$ from CP.

I looked for the BR -2 ring but I couldn't find it. Any idea where to get it ?

It is currently out of stock.. but I have ordered a couple through Cathay.. including the BR3 and BR5.. so if you interested.. I will you informed..

gadrian said:
It is currently out of stock.. but I have ordered a couple through Cathay.. including the BR3 and BR5.. so if you interested.. I will you informed..

I am very interested....thanks bro...
Will check it out at the other shops also...

Status
Not open for further replies.