what's the cause of bacterial growth on camera.

GreedKing

Jul 9, 2010
can anyone tell me what's the main cause for bacterial growth on camera, and where is the usual place of growth and how to prevent it? and the ways to clean a camera properly? thanks.

Bacteria is everywhere, only fungus grows on your camera.

can anyone tell me what's the main cause for bacterial growth on camera, and where is the usual place of growth and how to prevent it? and the ways to clean a camera properly? thanks.

to prevent fungus have to put them in a dry box

Make sure you clean your camera with antiseptic every 5 mins, and handle the camera only with clean and new surgical gloves. You will minimize bacteria growth. I recommend hydrogen peroxide.

Last edited:
Clean with professional disinfection solutions, put into sterile container, seal properly, never touch again. That's the way to prevent any bacterias coming to your camera.
For daily usage it's useless to think about it, millions of bacterias reside on your skin and no wash lotion or shower bath will change this (despite all advertisements). Clean your cam with a damp cloth after usage to remove sweat and salty residue. Enough. Use a dry storage (cabinet, box) if the camera is not used for some weeks.

ok, i'm assuming you referring to fungus..

moisture and warm and dark places causes fungus to grow.. so either make ur room super dry.. super cold and sunny~!! or use a dry box/cabinet..

Make sure you clean your camera with antiseptic every 5 mins, and handle the camera only with clean and new surgical gloves. You will minimize bacteria growth. I recommend hydrogen peroxide.

:bsmilie::bsmilie: Wah u very bad... Haha. TS, getting a dry cabinet is easier. Unless your air con is on 24/7 or if you confirm use the camera everyday

Post my Daredevil and octArine is super funny....hahahaha......
As for me,i dont use a dry box (too exp)haha....maybe i'm but stingy.i use an air tite cabinet then put silica gel to keep my gear away from fungus.dun keep your camera in the bag for too long.and remove the battey from your cam if you arent using for one week.
Fungus like damp place...if you are referring to bacteria,use dettol and wash in your sink with brush every 5 mins.....hahahaha....kidding

haha feed your camera antibiotics?;p

You mean fungal infections ? How to prevent it ? Simple, keep your camera in dry clean conditions !

You mean fungal infections ? How to prevent it ? Simple, keep your camera in dry clean conditions !

I didn't know a non living thing can get infected. :eek:

It's ALIVEEEEEEEEE~~~~~~~~~~ :eek::bigeyes::sweat:

Bacterial growth on camera? Wash your hands before handling it. Clean it with IPA. That will do. ;)

Actually, I never have really given so much thought about this fungus thing as its part of this camera lifestyle. - If not I wouldn't even bring the camera to the beach!!!
Must we keep running to the dry box to keep out stuff inside to prevent fungus everytime we are not touching it??? or am I too relax to let my camera stay in its bag for a 4 day period like during the weekend. I hate to be so anal about this.
Will you guys take it out and store in a dry box or just leave it in the bag for the weekend?
getting kinda worried.

Last edited:
Actually, I never have really given so much thought about this fungus thing as its part of this camera lifestyle. - If not I wouldn't even bring the camera to the beach!!!
Must we keep running to the dry box to keep out stuff inside to prevent fungus everytime we are not touching it??? or am I too relax to let my camera stay in its bag for a 4 day period like during the weekend. I hate to be so anal about this.
Will you guys take it out and store in a dry box or just leave it in the bag for the weekend?
getting kinda worried.

er... for me, if i'm using it the next day, of course i don't bother to keep it back in my dry cabinet. but if unsure of how long my camera will be resting, it goes in.

THE BEST WAY IS TO GOOGLE YOUR CONCERNS MAN......OR GO TO SEARCH AND FIND DRY BOX/DRY CABINET!!!! THAT'S IT!!!! OUR CAMERA IS NOT MADE WITH TOFU ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT UNLESS YOU ARE TREATING IT AS A FRAGILE BABY:dunno:

getting kinda worried.

Leaving your camera out of the cabinet for one or two weeks is fine, in that short frame of time fungus is unlikely to grow. however, i do advice you to clean your camera equipment after every outing. Especially after the beach.

If not I wouldn't even bring the camera to the beach!!!

Fresh air and sunlight goes a LONG way to preventing fungal growth.

What you need to be worried about is saltwater getting on your lens elements and damaging the coating. :)

Simple... For example, do you eat BBQ chicken wings and then take your DSLR up for a few quick snaps while your fingers are still not properly cleaned (oh, a few wipes at your T-shirt just won't cut it)?

Otherwise, do you snap away right in front of a BBQ pit, with the smoke and all? Same if you go into a kitchen. If so, congratulations! You've welcomed moisture, grease and even some food aroma to their new-found and cozy home! :bsmilie:

Sometimes, it is simply bad habits that lead to such deplorable DSLR state...

Guess I have to take some care to the equipment.
I just thought that with a filter on it would be alright.

I know this is off topic...
Question....What's the steps in changing lens whilst standing alone with just only a camera bag? (with out tripod) Is getting worried about this process too much for a beginner?
I do this...

1. Get new lens ready to be taken out of bag...both caps still on.
2. Turn Camera facing downwards and twist old lens out.
3. Quickly uncap back cap of new lens and put it on the old lens.
4. Put lens into bag with 1 hand while other still holding camera upside down.
5. Take new lens out with out the back cap and attach new lens on

Problem is...I don't know what to hold what during step 3...any experienced points to note in making this transition a little not so kum choing?

Suggestions or even a video?