whats the big deal with crumpler

Status
Not open for further replies.

clive

Oct 9, 2002
Visit site
frankly i see it as another poser bag just like quiksilver, deuter, oakley, lowepro and prada

I don't see lowepro, deuter or camelbak..etc as poser bags.

For me, the definition of a POSER bag is, one that is good to look at but has absolutely no improvement over another product of the similar function but of a lower price.

Deuter..etc brand of haversacks are comfortable to wear as they have better material and are designed for comfort when worn for long period of time, like backpacking or trekking.
For camelbak, they have a waterbag inside for cyclists to sip water without having to stop, take out a water bottle, drink, replace and continue.

Lowepro bags can add accessories like lens cases to expand your needs if you ever buy a longer lens like a Sigma 50-500mm and it won't go into your main compartment. it is padded and offer more protection for sensitive camera equipments, like lens, compared to the camera bags in Carrefour or "Canon" or "Nikon" standard camera bags.
I don't think any one will want to carry a > $1K lens or a $3K Canon 'L' lens around in a $10-20 camera bag. as it's hardly capable of protecting the lens during transportation.

If you have only a P&S camera to carry around, a common camera bag is good enough.
Or if you don't need the comfort of wearing a padded haversack with a waist strap to lighten your shoulder's load, then get a standard "Umbro" or whatever haversack.

It's different from some people using a LV wallet over a standard leather waller and constant displaying the wallet on the table when eating to attract attention.

That's what I call poser.

My Deuter lasted me for 3 years, been through tough weather and heavy loads and is still going on strong ! If I'm going to get another haversack, it'll be a Deuter. :cool:

Different people different taste.....

If I am going to bring my camera out often in a bag... I will want the bag to be good in functionality (able to protect my equipment well) and also to look nice....

Appearance of the bag is also like the clothes U wear.... Clothes are juz supposed to cover U.... If U think apperance is not important... why U wanna spend so much money buy more expensive clothes?

I read some threads arguing abt crumplers being an extravagence. But its contradictory for one to say that crumplers are too expensive a bag when an some cheaper alternatives will do, when that same person maybe wearing a levi jeans when a simple cheap pair of shorts will do.....

Anyway... crumplers may not be that expensive if U got it during offer periods.....
There are 50% sales for selected models of crumplers at CP for certain period of time.... Someone in the forums juz got a 15-Love for $80 when the normal price is abt $160.....

Consumer demands... Nowadays, it is no longer enough to be just good looking or just reliable, when the competition is both good looking and reliable.

Originally posted by clive
frankly i see it as another poser bag just like quiksilver, deuter, oakley, lowepro and prada

Hmm.. well, there is a good reason why.

Form and Functionality.

Crumpler bags have both. I have been using the Weenie for awhile now, while i'm shooting or when i go out. The inner bunion can be removed very easily so taht the outer sling bag can be converted into a normal sling bag. I can also slip my laptop into it's protective case, and then into the out sling bag. FIts just fine,

So you see, with one bag, i can use it to port mt camera, or my laptop, or use it for normal day/night outs. Don't think one could ask for me.

As for it's durability. Water resistant and the bunion can endure a heavy shower with the camera and gear inside staying dry. When one can be afforded with such a peace of mind, i reckon it isn't all that "poser" a bag that it is made out to be.

Besides, one is a poser only when he/she is doing something because he/she is following the crowd, but not when he/she knows what he/she is doing.

Think about it.

Now you must remember, consumer products are not longer just selling a product, they are selling a lifestyle, an image.:)

Originally posted by Wolfgang
Hmm.. well, there is a good reason why.

Form and Functionality.

Crumpler bags have both. I have been using the Weenie for awhile now, while i'm shooting or when i go out. The inner bunion can be removed very easily so taht the outer sling bag can be converted into a normal sling bag. I can also slip my laptop into it's protective case, and then into the out sling bag. FIts just fine,

Wolf! Weenie inner bunion can fit laptop meh? i though only seedy 3 and Fux Deluxe can....
I'm looking the crumpler that can fit laptop & cam too la....

Originally posted by longman
Wolf! Weenie inner bunion can fit laptop meh? i though only seedy 3 and Fux Deluxe can....
I'm looking the crumpler that can fit laptop & cam too la....

The outer slingbag can fit my latop but the inner camera bunion must be removed. first. So i either hand carry the inner bunion or the laptop with it's case (which incidentally is also from Crumpler, Baby Mcbain.)

:)

Originally posted by Wolfgang
The outer slingbag can fit my latop but the inner camera bunion must be removed. first. So i either hand carry the inner bunion or the laptop with it's case (which incidentally is also from Crumpler, Baby Mcbain.)

:)
ic, so not so protect the laptop lor....

Out of all the listed brands I only think of PRADA as poser. All the others has functions.... Prada also have function. It works to clear you bank account.

Originally posted by Silverelf
Out of all the listed brands I only think of PRADA as poser. All the others has functions.... Prada also have function. It works to clear you bank account.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: Btw crumpler is built to be stylish yet protect your camera equipment. Its not like people are getting crumpler just because it looks nice. It actually is a good camera bag.

I don't agree you listing these brands except prada as poser bags. The other brands are made for different activities and yet look good.

Prada is just a nice looking expensive bag for ladies. Unless prada comes out with a camera bag. Oh yeah i see female photographers rushing to get one :dent:

Originally posted by shidenx
Prada is just a nice looking expensive bag for ladies. Unless prada comes out with a camera bag. Oh yeah i see female photographers rushing to get one :dent:

I can imagine the ad for the PRADA camera bag.

The Brand. The function.
Get the PRADA Camera carrier.
Special price for phtographers US$5000.

Btw, I really need a camera bag.... considering Crumpler cos it like got so much space inside! Need to budget for it though!

Well, its a matter of personal taste. We are humans, we have taste and desire. Crumpler looks good to some people, does the job of holding your equipment well, thats why they buy it. Simple.
Why do you comb your hair ? Its the same principle I guess. Being poseurish, has this element of flaunt. If you buy something, because U like the design, for personal satisfaction, thats not poseurish at all, thats what I call... hmm..... pampering thyself ? Look, we have a life... gotta enjoy it man. Why choose an Alfa 156 selespeed over an all out brutish Lancer Evo 7? Show off ? true.... but, it draws you to turn back and have another glimpse after u park it, ahh... emotions.

I dont think you can classify these items as "poser" . Only people .

Think what Wolfgang said sums that up nicely.

I got a deuter bag myself, i think its close to 5 years already.. Very lasting!

Crumpler bags are nice, but bo cash to buy atm..

so what is deemed unposer? the 'ah chan' bag? (the canvas type with red blue and white stripes) :D

if you think carrying a bag to look cool is bad, i saw a couple going for the backpacker look. totally cannot make it.

if it's functional and looks good, why not? it's a personal preference to get a bag that's not functional and does not look good.

Originally posted by shidenx

Prada is just a nice looking expensive bag for ladies. Unless prada comes out with a camera bag. Oh yeah i see female photographers rushing to get one

Thats.....one bamboo stick beating down one boat of pple. :dunno:

I got my crumpler because it's hardy and trendy...hardy comes first. It happens at a time when my [only] nikon bag has been in use for 10 years and I was thinking it's time for it to retire...before it gives up on me.

Some things that we buy may only be $20 but we use it once. Others may be $200 but we use it hundreds of times. which gives more value? :D

The only issue I have with crumpler is that they look too good, attract attention. Can spot a crumpler from a mile away! I have no doubt they do both the form and function nicely, though I personally would prefer something more nondescript. :)

Regards
CK

crumpler's great... the padding in their bags is fantastic! supports whatever you're carrying inside real good.. dropped my laptop while in a crumpler from table height... survived the trauma.. :cool:

So Clive, what camera bag are you using :dunno:
Gucci, ralph lauren or louis vuitton? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.