What's the best wireless Skype phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Chin

Oct 31, 2006
Singapore Central
I am looking for a Skype phone that I can use without connecting it to a PC. I have done a Google search but there is no clear answer.

I would like to hear from those who have actually used such a phone and let me have your feedback. If budget is not a problem, which is the best one now available and where can I get it in Singapore?

Thanks in advance for all your feedback.

You might wanna look at Creative website. They have a few products which is not bad for video conferencing and its not that ex too.

I just signed on skype.

I am using a HTC touch diamond, running skype mobile 2.5. I have a data plan sim card which gives me 50G of data/month.

It seems to be running pretty smoothing. Cost like 3 australian cents/minute to call local land lines. MUCH MUCH cheaper than what singtel is charging me, 20cents/minute in peak hours.

I use one from Philips.
It's a combination of a Skype phone and a regular dect phone. You plug the base station in your telephone line AND directly in your router.
Then when you make a call on the handset you can choose to use the landline or Skype.
Works perfect for me.
http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...ryid_INTERNET_AND_DUAL_PHONES_CA_SG_CONSUMER/

I bought mine at Challenger (it's actually featured in the Digital Life section of the straits times of today - one of the last pages where they have an overview of possible xmas gifts).

One tip: create a separate Skype account for your phone - not the one that you are using on your PC. That way you can keep that account logged on on the phone. Skype also has a service where you can automatically add a certain amount of money once the amount left in the balance falls under a certain tresshold. So everytime I go under 2, it automatically adds 10 - never a huge amount in my Skype account, and never have to worry about it either.

One tip: create a separate Skype account for your phone - not the one that you are using on your PC. That way you can keep that account logged on on the phone. Skype also has a service where you can automatically add a certain amount of money once the amount left in the balance falls under a certain tresshold. So everytime I go under 2, it automatically adds 10 - never a huge amount in my Skype account, and never have to worry about it either.

err.... u know that by enabling auto adding, u are actually putting an UNLIMITED amount of money in your skype account and I would say that is a huge amount. If I am not wrong, it would charge your credit card everytime it falls below the threshold automatically. Is that correct? I am not sure as I disabled that.

I disable auto adding so in case my skype account get compromised, well, there is only 10+ dollars inside the account.

err.... u know that by enabling auto adding, u are actually putting an UNLIMITED amount of money in your skype account and I would say that is a huge amount. If I am not wrong, it would charge your credit card everytime it falls below the threshold automatically. Is that correct? I am not sure as I disabled that.

Yes, that is correct; Reason for doing it this way for me is that on the phone you don't get the warning that you are falling below your credit. So it happened several times to me that a conversation broke down halfway, due to lack of credit. This way I don't have that issue anymore.

I am quite pleased with skype on my handphone.

I subscribe to the data only plan with singtel a couple of months back, which is like $8/month. now with skype I can make calls at very low rates of 4cents/min to any mobile number in singapore. Much better than singtel 20cents/min. granted that there is lag but still acceptable.

It is MUCH better if u have loved ones overseas. convenience of a handphone, low rates of internet calls.

I use one from Philips.
It's a combination of a Skype phone and a regular dect phone. You plug the base station in your telephone line AND directly in your router.
Then when you make a call on the handset you can choose to use the landline or Skype.
Works perfect for me.
http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...ryid_INTERNET_AND_DUAL_PHONES_CA_SG_CONSUMER/

I bought mine at Challenger (it's actually featured in the Digital Life section of the straits times of today - one of the last pages where they have an overview of possible xmas gifts).

How was the reception? How much did you pay for it by the way?

Thanks

Reception is good, depending on your internet connection; in other words: if I download something big at the same time you notice that the connection is not that good anymore. But normally it's excellent.
Don't remember exactly what I paid, it was around 200 dollars.

I have found a wireless Skype phone. Thanks for all the help. This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.