what's the best % level for dry box/cabi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denadz

Oct 7, 2008
Sengkang
What's the best humidity level to store the camera & lenses?

I'm still using a dry box (was a freebies) with silica gel, try to maintain the level between 40-50%, is this sufficient? But everytime I open and close the box (try as quick as possible) the gauge shoot up to nearly 60% before slowly drop back under 50%. Will this reduce the effectiveness of dry box?

The box now feel so small and cramped and troublesome to maintain the silica.. thinking to invest in dry cabinet :think:

Thanks..

It would be a problem instead if the reading doesn't flucuate when you open and close the dry box, it happens to my dry cabinet too, but maybe to a lesser extend. Also depends how long it was kept open.

Don't stress yourself too much that the % goes up when its open lah, the humidity of Singapore is much higher when you bring your equipment out for a shoot isn't it?

My 2 cents is to invest in a dry cabinet, saves the trouble of using silica gel.

Yeah.. reading many threads about keeping the gears make me more worried on how to keep than to use.. just don't want the unwanted creatures suddenly pop up and grow fast on my gears :bsmilie:
I'll take your 2 cents on the top of my next shopping list, do you think the digi cabi AD series is a good buy ? thinking of 50 or 60 ltr..
Thanks...

So long as you have the space and cash, get a big one to allow for equipment expansion. I am using 36L, quite a squeeze for one body and 3 lenses (18-55, 70-200 and 10-22).

This thread might be off some help.

Get a dry cabinet, saves you trouble and hassle, also gives u an ease of mind on the long run.

There's a few brands of dry cabinet ard in the market, DigiCabi, Akurui, etc. Prices ranges from sub-$50 to a few thousands.

A 50L to 60L dry cabinet would set you back from $100+ to $200, depending on the model and features.

Although there's a thinking of the bigger the better. :) If one has like a pro-sumer body with like 2-3 mid-range zoom/prime lenses, 40L to 60L would be a good bet. 80L or more if you think you want to have 2 or more bodies plus more lenses.

As a side-note, the humidity level I set on my dry cabinet is 60%. There's no hard and fast rule on the setting, some ppl swear by 45%, some between 45-55%.

Where is the best place to see a good range of dry boxes at good prices?

did you try searching the forum? This question is asked almost every week and you could have found all you need to know in minutes.

did you try searching the forum? This question is asked almost every week and you could have found all you need to know in minutes.

I'm quite new in CS and have been reading many threads in the forum for last couple of weeks and can't really find an answer to my questions. Anyway I don't think it's wrong to throw a question and see if any of thousands of helpful experienced CSers would be kind enough to answer even a most stupid question from a clueless person. That's what the Newbie's Corner meant to be, am I right?
Really appreciate if you can throw in a quick answer or give me the link to the useful past thread for this topic, rather than just give a another clueless and not a helpful reply.. :dunno:

As a side-note, the humidity level I set on my dry cabinet is 60%. There's no hard and fast rule on the setting, some ppl swear by 45%, some between 45-55%.

Thanks AJ23, you are very helpful to answer my first question :)
And thanks also to ahbian for the advise and the useful thread link :)

Status
Not open for further replies.